Brexit - merged threads

scouser

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

I watched the news the other night when it was claimed farmers were worrying about some subsidies being withdrawn 'if' we leave the EU. A farmer mate was exasperated when I talked to him as he'd seen it too, and he voted to leave. Like he says, it's not EU money; it's money the UK gave to the EU, where they decide how much we get back, so in other words its our money anyhow! 

The subsidies are (at the moment) confirmed as staying the same for the next two years so it should be no change (subject to no election maybe?). Suggestion then is for a greater focus on conservation funding which could be good for hunting. You might expect that we will see quite a change in farming following Brexit as prices change so it would not be unreasonable to see the subsidies change dramatically to counter any over or under supply.

The farmers I talk to seem more concerned about getting permanent labour.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

The subsidies are (at the moment) confirmed as staying the same for the next two years so it should be no change (subject to no election maybe?). Suggestion then is for a greater focus on conservation funding which could be good for hunting. You might expect that we will see quite a change in farming following Brexit as prices change so it would not be unreasonable to see the subsidies change dramatically to counter any over or under supply.

Not an issue around here seemingly. Most farmers around here help each other out, and the rest is done by contractors. 

There was one however, several years ago, whom employed several eastern european blokes who lived in a big static caravan on his farm. I don't know where they are nowadays but for a time it was rumoured they were chipping together and exporting cars back to their homeland. 🙂

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Not an issue around here seemingly. Most farmers around here help each other out, and the rest is done by contractors. 

There was one however, several years ago, whom employed several eastern european blokes who lived in a big static caravan on his farm. I don't know where they are nowadays but for a time it was rumoured they were chipping together and exporting cars back to their homeland. 🙂

A few here have installed caravans and one I know has built himself a large shed 🙂

On 10/01/2019 at 15:12, Rewulf said:

Thats what they want you to do , youre one of the millions of wild card voters like myself they dont like.

Just remember these words and have faith.

"My name is Maximus Scullious Brexitus, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Cumbrian Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Nigellus Faragius. . And I will have my Brexit, in this referendum or the next."

😂

Absolutely bang on! The fight will NEVER be over! until we exit this EU dung heap!

10 hours ago, oowee said:

😂 lol Moggy needs to read the tea leaves and take a project fear reality pill. Gate and bolted. Look at Honda and Nissan. Look at what is happening now in financial services.

So what is happening? Go on, list it, with EVIDENCE!

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

They don't want EU to fail - and its much more likely to fail unless we keep borrowing money to keep feeding it with cash and best business's. Ironically Germany is only able to fund its leadership of EU because our soppy government let it avoid paying several trillions of war reparations it owe's us - which we had to borrow to defend ourselves from them! Our perverted guvment just can't seem to stop heamoraging money to them.

Germany appears to be heading for recession, France is on the edge of it, Italy almost certainly has slid into it, and Greece and Portugal..................? Financial basket cases! And Remoaners want to tie us into this?

57 minutes ago, Scully said:

I watched the news the other night when it was claimed farmers were worrying about some subsidies being withdrawn 'if' we leave the EU. A farmer mate was exasperated when I talked to him as he'd seen it too, and he voted to leave. Like he says, it's not EU money; it's money the UK gave to the EU, where they decide how much we get back, so in other words its our money anyhow! 

Very true! 

Bassetlaw Labour MP (and Leaver) John Mann confirmed this morning that the Prime Minister had promised sweeping concessions to Labour MPs like himself in order to coax them into supporting her withdrawal agreement. She promised that the UK would not only keep existing EU regulations on workers rights and environmental protections, but be legally bound to bring forward all new EU legislation in these areas to the House of Commons.

Mann said that he had secured “not just a promise from the Prime Minister, but the legislation on the Withdrawal Act will need to meet those requirements.” The idea of a Singapore style Brexit is drifting away…

and so the sell out continues!

Jeremy Corbyn explicitly confirmed to Marr this morning that if his no confidence vote fails and he does not get the General Election he is after, he “would rather get a negotiated deal” than back a second referendum.

Andrew Marr: “Why are you against the free movement of people?”

Corbyn: “I am not against the free movement of people.”

No, he,s happy to let millions more here, and not just the EU dropouts! Like his predecessors,, he would be quite happy to open up the floodgates to the (Third) world!

2 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Jeremy Corbyn explicitly confirmed to Marr this morning that if his no confidence vote fails and he does not get the General Election he is after, he “would rather get a negotiated deal” than back a second referendum.

Well, his shadow Brexit secretary wants to stay in both the customs union and the single market and also to retain exactly the same 'advantages' we have now.  Those were in their 'tests'. 

Starmer’s six tests for the Brexit deal are:

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?

2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?

3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?

4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?

5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?

6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

If that isn't Brexit In Name Only (BRINO) - I don't know what is.  I'm sure the EU will give him all of those if he pays the £40 billion as well.  At least he has the money from his magic money tree (see below). Talk about cake and eat it!

There is absolutely no reason to think that the EU would give more to Corbyn in negotiations than they have to May ....... especially so as Corbyn has always been anti EU.  Corbyn will promise anything he things will give him No 10.  Whether he can (or even believes he can) deliver is an entirely different matter.

On the "money tree".  There was an interview with Len McLusky on "Hard Talk" the other night.  (A programme on the BBC world service).  Mr McLusky (who talks about what WE will do when Corbyn comes to power) revealed that the money will come from confiscating the accounts of the super rich in the Cayman Islands.  I honestly couldn't believe my ears!  I'm not sure that the government of the Caymen Islands would be quite so keen to hand it over.

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

Germany appears to be heading for recession, France is on the edge of it, Italy almost certainly has slid into it, and Greece and Portugal..................? Financial basket cases! And Remoaners want to tie us into this?

But what ever happens in the future, over there or over here Brexit will get the blame for it.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Come out of retirement and do a proper job for a few years 😂 I very much doubt that your burned out 😂

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I honestly couldn't believe my ears!  I'm not sure that the government of the Caymen Islands would be quite so keen to hand it over.

The Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory, if Corbyn gets in he (or McDonell more likely) can do what they like. However they must be really stupid if they believe the money would still be there by then

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory, if Corbyn gets in he (or McDonell more likely) can do what they like.

According to Wikipedia, the local legislature and courts are independent from the United Kingdom, the British Government deals with all international relations on behalf of the Territory, so I'm not sure they can 'raid at will'.

32 minutes ago, hambone said:

Come out of retirement and do a proper job for a few years 😂 I very much doubt that your burned out 😂

:lol: I have a job. I am a hunter now 😋

After giving the best years of my life in public service I deserve a break. 👍

49 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory, if Corbyn gets in he (or McDonell more likely) can do what they like. However they must be really stupid if they believe the money would still be there by then

They'll probably buy holiday homes there? 

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:46, poontang said:

If you have an hour to spare, make yourself comfortable, pour yourself a little of what you fancy and settle down to watch just how this country was, through lies and deceit, entangled into the mire that is the EU.

It's a documentary from 2005, long before Brexit was even a word. A story told with interviews from those who were, or were close to the decision makers throughout the whole shambolic process.

Very interesting. Several things in there that I was unaware of. Many tales of treachery and deceit.

I understand that many in Labour are backing a second referendum, which will be co-ordinated by Diane Abbott.  There will be one question on the ballot paper with one tick box.  In order to avoid confusion, the question will be broad ranging and will ask.  Vote will be by the usual cross in the box.

"Do you want Britain to remain in the EU or leave"    🔲

This, Diane assures us will ensure a democratic majority of at least 30% unanimously for the verdict and fulfil, their conference pledge for a 'peoples vote'.

They will then carry out the peoples wish in a democratic manner - entirely free from any austerity and funded by 3000 policemen..

Edited by JohnfromUK

51 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I understand that many in Labour are backing a second referendum, which will be co-ordinated by Diane Abbott.  There will be one question on the ballot paper with one tick box.  In order to avoid confusion, the question will be broad ranging and will ask.  Vote will be by the usual cross in the box.

This, Diane assures us will ensure a democratic majority of at least 30% unanimously for the verdict and fulfil, their conference pledge for a 'peoples vote'.

They will then carry out the peoples wish in a democratic manner - entirely free from any austerity and funded by 3000 policemen..

Has Diane been attending night school?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Brilliant 👏👏👏😂

Backbench MPs have spent the weekend busy plotting how to hijack the Brexit process with the help of flagrant constitutional abuses from Speaker John Bercow. Nick Boles has now tabled an amendment this morning which would effectively legislate for a putsch by the 36-member Liaison Committee of backbench Select Committee Chairs. It is heavily Remain-dominated and chaired by Sarah Wollaston…

Wollaston herself and the Committee’s Vice Chair Pete Wishart have already dismissed it as a “daft suggestion” that “appears to have been developed with just 2 other MPs” and “isn’t going to happen”. As Cumberbatch said in Channel 4’s Brexit drama last week, the golden rule of a successful coup is making sure the military is actually on board in advance…

Brexiteers are similarly dismissive, with one senior MP describing the plan as “facile” and ERG supporters pointing out three major obstacles to a backbench coup. Firstly, any government expenditure, which would be necessary to implement any plan, would require a money resolution, which only a Minister can move. Would Bercow dare to tear this rule up too?

Secondly, they say that any effect on Crown prerogative, i.e. the Government’s ability to act as the executive, would require the Queen’s consent at Third Reading of a Bill. Thirdly, even if Parliament did contrive a viable route towards stopping Brexit, under the Fixed-Term Parliament Acts the Prime Minister still retains the power to prorogue Parliament, ending the current Parliamentary session and voiding any legislation in progress, thereby forcing no deal by default. This would be a nuclear option but the power to stop ‘no Brexit’ still remains in May’s hands

This is the treachery that is currently being plotted by Bercow and co...........

eurostar-540.jpg?resize=540%2C382&ssl=1

14 hours ago, Vince Green said:

But what ever happens in the future, over there or over here Brexit will get the blame for it.

No doubt about that!

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well, his shadow Brexit secretary wants to stay in both the customs union and the single market and also to retain exactly the same 'advantages' we have now.  Those were in their 'tests'. 

Starmer’s six tests for the Brexit deal are:

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?

2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?

3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?

4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?

5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?

6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

If that isn't Brexit In Name Only (BRINO) - I don't know what is.  I'm sure the EU will give him all of those if he pays the £40 billion as well.  At least he has the money from his magic money tree (see below). Talk about cake and eat it!

There is absolutely no reason to think that the EU would give more to Corbyn in negotiations than they have to May ....... especially so as Corbyn has always been anti EU.  Corbyn will promise anything he things will give him No 10.  Whether he can (or even believes he can) deliver is an entirely different matter.

On the "money tree".  There was an interview with Len McLusky on "Hard Talk" the other night.  (A programme on the BBC world service).  Mr McLusky (who talks about what WE will do when Corbyn comes to power) revealed that the money will come from confiscating the accounts of the super rich in the Cayman Islands.  I honestly couldn't believe my ears!  I'm not sure that the government of the Caymen Islands would be quite so keen to hand it over.

Starmer.....the worst Head of the Crown Prosecution Service ever! A thoroughly nasty piece of work! How many terrorists and their supporters did he deport?  Count them on the thumbs of one hand!

16 hours ago, oowee said:

With 2 million unemployed Brits, I think finding labour should be no problem,  using the carrot and stick !

16 hours ago, oowee said:

A few here have installed caravans and one I know has built himself a large shed 🙂

Is that where they are "storing" the farm vehicles that they are sending home?

12 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Would Bercow dare to tear this rule up too?

Possibly - Bercow has a sort of paranoid megalomania (actually common in short people - and I speak as a member of the 'not very tall') that might result in him behaving like a 'kingmaker'.

would require the Queen’s consent at Third Reading of a Bill.

That is correct, but IF it ever got a majority in Parliament, the Queen would not oppose it.  It would end the Monarchy to do so.

This would be a nuclear option but the power to stop ‘no Brexit’ still remains in May’s hands

That might end up the only route left ........ and I think could conceivably happen.  Interesting to see what Corbyyn and Co would do - after calling for a General election for ages they would find it hard to suddenly backtrack!

Edited by JohnfromUK