Brexit - merged threads

scouser

5 minutes ago, das said:

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

+3 So am I but most of the unwashed masses appear to want to be opressed forever.

Must admit it would be refreshing ( and democratic ) to actually have a say in whom I want to make legislation and rules which effect me, and even better,  the option to vote them out if I don’t like it. 🙂

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that we are witnessing the demise of democracy in this country. The people voted the Parliament stated they would deliver the peoples wish. Yet up to now everything points to us being landed with a situation that nobody voted for. As for the Irish so called problem if the UK had never joined the EU would Southern Ireland have been refused membership because of no hard border to the north. All this farce that is there now is just a smoke screen until the non exit of the EU happens. I hope when the next general election comes the voters remember this and vote for the fringe parties not that they would be able to form a government but just give the. Two main parties a kick up the rear. Let some of the traitorous ones have a spell of unemployment. 

Just now, bostonmick said:

I believe that we are witnessing the demise of democracy in this country. The people voted the Parliament stated they would deliver the peoples wish. Yet up to now everything points to us being landed with a situation that nobody voted for. As for the Irish so called problem if the UK had never joined the EU would Southern Ireland have been refused membership because of no hard border to the north. All this farce that is there now is just a smoke screen until the non exit of the EU happens. I hope when the next general election comes the voters remember this and vote for the fringe parties not that they would be able to form a government but just give the. Two main parties a kick up the rear. Let some of the traitorous ones have a spell of unemployment. 

Not sure if it is the demise of democracy, yet, but i absolutely do believe this is a seminal moment in how the British public see and engage with our political representatives going forward and will last for many generations.

Clearly there is a level of elitism amongst our elected representatives in that they choose to spin the situation to suit their own agenda and they hold the electorate in contempt in dismissing the vote. The narrative that they give as justification is disingenuous and contrived.

I can understand why those who voted to remain may be happy at the thought of a rerun of the referendum if they think it will change the outcome, who wouldn't want a free second go after losing the first time, but for me that wholly misses the point.

I can be very arrogant and disparaging about the decisions people make and how they arrive at them, but i would never seek to subvert their democratic choice. In a democracy we will sometimes make collective decisions that are unpopular or highly divisive, but that is the very essence of the imperfect beauty of democracy.

For the parliamentarians that are so quick to dismiss the democratic choice this time, because it suits their agenda, then they need to appreciate that it works two ways and there are always unintended consequence.

What shocks me in the clamour to call for a second referendum by MPs is the complete ambivalence by them in how they are proclaiming to the world their fundamental incompetence.  In the rush to put Brexit on the too hard to deal with pile they simply demonstrate to the world their innate lack of ability and any MP who has done that does not deserve their seat because they are plainly incompetent to be able to do that job.

Personally I don't care if there were several hundred independent polls conducted which revealed that a second referendum would still result in leave. The simple fact is that if you believe in democracy then there can be no second vote; to do otherwise would not only be scandalously undemocratic but also render the entire process and ideal meaningless. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Personally I don't care if there were several hundred independent polls conducted which revealed that a second referendum would still result in leave. The simple fact is that if you believe in democracy then there can be no second vote; to do otherwise would not only be scandalously undemocratic but also render the entire process and ideal meaningless. 

yep :good:

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I can say with absolute certainty that had I voted remain I would have still felt that a rerun is subverting democracy.

I was pretty marginal in voting to leave and I suspect my reasons for voting out will differ from many/most on PW, but this process has cemented my feelings and there is no ambiguity or doubt at all now.  An exit is essential.

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Corbyn's creaming his knickers, he's got election fever......

Believe me he doesn't want to be prime minister, he's far too lazy. That would mean he had to get out of bed in the mornings and actually do something. Why break the habit of a lifetime?

Corbyn is a protester not a politician 

31 minutes ago, Scully said:

If there were a second referendum (aka people's vote) it would create the equivilent of what we are seeing in France, a breakdown of trust resulting in rioting on the streets. It would destroy all faith in the integrity of Parliament for years to come

Too many politicians and other busybodies are trying to subvert the referendum.  There was a vote, it wasn't the slightest bit ambiguous, the decision was made.   We did not vote for 'ifs' and 'buts'

Edited by Vince Green

41 minutes ago, Scully said:

The simple fact is that if you believe in democracy

Politicians accept democracy as a means to elect them to a cushy well paid job with excellent perks and pensions.  They do not expect to have to handle anything democratically again until the next election time.