Brexit - merged threads

scouser

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

What do you think a free trade deal is? 

One that doesn't require us to give up being a free country to the EU. I.E 1. our supreme Court being sovereign. 2 ends free movement of people and stops anyone with an EU passport having automatic right to enter the UK. 3 stop us paying a huge fee to simply trade, especially when we buy 100 billion more from them than they do from us. 

All the normal things that happen when two countries do business without surrendering being a free country, like every other country in the world trades. 

Assuming you genuinely can't see the remain side in parliament are trying to subvert democracy, I'm really struggling to see why you just can't get it? 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

The over-65s is the fastest growing demographic in the UK. From the Office of National Statistics:

"The UK population is ageing – around 18.2% of the UK population were aged 65 years or over at mid-2017, compared with 15.9% in 2007; this is projected to grow to 20.7% by 2027."

So there are now more of us than in 2016, both as a proportion of the voting age population, and in absolute numbers.

Quite right. 

I also believe the split between remain and leave follows far closer to the working masses vs the rich and those in the higher educational system due to the lack of life experience and indoctrination the young who go to uni will have had before going out in the "real" world. I know far more young who voted leave than remain. 

35 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

How someone can come on here, and say that "half" the country voted Remain,  is total rubbish!

I think you might be a little more invested in the argument then I am !!

be it 47, 47, 49 to 53, 52,51% .. the country is split. I come from the part of the world with the highest votes for leave ... so understand the arguments well. The simple point is that we should leave ... but there is no consensus as to how. As soon as the debate raises, the result is skewed by those who want to remain and will never be 'for' any sort of hard Brexit.

Is there a route that Parliament will agree on?

15 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I think you might be a little more invested in the argument then I am !!

be it 47, 47, 49 to 53, 52,51% .. the country is split. I come from the part of the world with the highest votes for leave ... so understand the arguments well. The simple point is that we should leave ... but there is no consensus as to how. As soon as the debate raises, the result is skewed by those who want to remain and will never be 'for' any sort of hard Brexit.

Is there a route that Parliament will agree on?

Being a member of the EU meant the country had to follow a number of rules to be a member, when leave won the referendum, it meant we should leave every one of those rules being an EU member entailed, anything less is simply subversion of the referendum result, it couldn't be any simpler. 

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

How in hell did they get a ballot paper?

Sheer incompetence on the part of local government, they didn't apparently have any way of filtering them out (allegedly) Everybody who was on the electoral register got sent a voting card automatically by the computer when the button was pressed. It raises questions about other elections too.

Eastern European people are usually very keen to get on the electoral register as quickly as possible when they arrive here. Not particularly because they are interested in voting in normal elections,  but because you can't open bank accounts or get credit etc if you are not on the electoral register. Its one of the most basic identity checks done by credit checking agencies and your credit rating goes down quite a lot if you are not registered. 

Edited by Vince Green

33 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I've got something we can agree on.. The Abbotts on question time tonight and she's going to be awesome 😂

Also the excellent Rory Stewart. 

I'm surprised her Ex-BF lets her anywhere near the TV these days🙄

Fiona Bruce will need to be on guard and strong. 

The panel for QT tonight:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/who-is-on-the-bbc-question-time-panel-in-derby-tonight-january-17-2019-1-5855436

She shouldn't have any trouble with Diane Abbott though as long as she takes a bog roll to stuff down her throat once she starts bleating nonsense.  

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

The simple point is that we should leave ... but there is no consensus as to how. 

I think the then leader of the UK David Cameron, made it very clear what leaving entailed. I'm sure if you go back over this thread there are videos of him spelling out quite clearly what leaving meant and what went with it, ie leaving the single market and customs union, no longer being under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, ending free movement and so on.

It was quite clear (to almost everyone) what voting leave meant, it is only now that a majority remain parliment are trying to make out that it isn't.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Quite right. 

I also believe the split between remain and leave follows far closer to the working masses vs the rich and those in the higher educational system due to the lack of life experience and indoctrination the young who go to uni will have had before going out in the "real" world. I know far more young who voted leave than remain. 

I guess the difference is those that have looked beyond the end of their street and have a wider knowledge base. 

That's interesting I only know two that voted leave, one is my mum and the other her partner. You can imagine the fun we have when we open up the discussions. :lol:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I've got something we can agree on.. The Abbotts on question time tonight and she's going to be awesome 😂

Also the excellent Rory Stewart. 

👍 He is very good. Not really a politician. Says what he thinks so won't last long.

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

I guess the difference is those that have looked beyond the end of their street and have a wider knowledge base. 

I disagree, the young voting remain that I know tend to be those who have done nothing other than been in the education system to date, I know many who have been to uni and have since travelled, bought property, got a career ect and most of them I know are leave supporter's, only my personal experience of course. 

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I disagree, the young voting remain that I know tend to be those who have done nothing other than been in the education system to date, I know many who have been to uni and have since travelled, bought property, got a career ect and most of them I know are leave supporter's, only my personal experience of course. 

Again interesting are you in the north of the country? I am just south of Bristol and there is definitely a split between rural and urban here.

Despite the constant claims of Continuity Remainers that people have changed their minds on Brexit, polls have consistently failed to show any significant shifts in public support for leaving the EU since the referendum. That’s before considering the large proportion of Remain voters who accept the result even though they still don’t support Brexit itself…

The latest ComRes poll asked voters whether they wanted to see the referendum result respected and found a clear majority in favour. Excluding ‘don’t knows’ (18%), 65% of people agreed that the result should be respected, while only 35% disagreed. Remoaners’ tasteless stunts are doing little to change people’s minds…

Makes you think who's running Brexit, May warns Corbyn that "it is impossible to rule out no deal"

Yet Philip Hammond told business leaders that the “threat” of a no-deal Brexit could be taken “off the table” within days and potentially lead to Article 50 “rescinded”, a leaked recording of a conference call reveals.

Does the lefthand know what righthands doing..........

11 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

DxH1-BlWoAAQqx5-e1547739122735-540x353.jpg?resize=540%2C353&ssl=1

A briefing paper has been snapped outside Number 10, setting out how Ministers and officials can go about rebuilding political trust.

“This paper… recommends a strategy for building trust and improving the effectiveness of our communication activity in the future.”

They certainly need it…

Try earning it by respecting the referendum result.

57 minutes ago, oowee said:

Again interesting are you in the north of the country? I am just south of Bristol and there is definitely a split between rural and urban here.

I enjoy moving about so I've lived since the referendum took place South Wales, West coast Scotland, East Coast Scotland, Somerset and Surrey, your of course right, there is also a division in voting between major city's and the rest of the country, but I would again guess that is due to the number of people living in city's that weren't born in the UK or their parents weren't, they probably aren't as nationalist as those whose family's have lived solely in the UK for generations, again, just my guess. 

4 hours ago, pinfireman said:

The over-65s is the fastest growing demographic in the UK. From the Office of National Statistics:

"The UK population is ageing – around 18.2% of the UK population were aged 65 years or over at mid-2017, compared with 15.9% in 2007; this is projected to grow to 20.7% by 2027."

So there are now more of us than in 2016, both as a proportion of the voting age population, and in absolute numbers.

I'm getting old and sod the EU, I want out for the sake of my children and grandchilden👉