Brexit - merged threads

scouser

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Not sure what you would expect? While Britain was in the EU, French boats had access to British waters. And by the same token, British companies in other fields had access to other EU countries' domestic markets such as in finance or banking or whatever. When we leave,  French fishermen will still want access to British waters and British companies will still want access to their erstwhile European markets. So there'll be a trade off probably. That's just how these things work.

Hang on, they are OUR waters,  and whilst you say that British companies had access to the EU, the EU companies had access to us! And they still will want access to finance and banking!  And if you check out all the leading financial markets, they ALL expect London to remain a major financial hub! It was not  a trade off for fishing!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Not sure what you would expect? While Britain was in the EU, French boats had access to British waters. And by the same token, British companies in other fields had access to other EU countries' domestic markets such as in finance or banking or whatever. When we leave,  French fishermen will still want access to British waters and British companies will still want access to their erstwhile European markets. So there'll be a trade off probably. That's just how these things work.

No deal then.

By the same token why can't we have a share of Saudi oil, African diamonds or Spanish minerals, or German timber and gas, I could go on and on and on but it's ridiculous, we have voted to be an independent country again, why should we give our natural resources to another country, or in this case another 27? 

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I like Oliver North's blog. www.eureferendum.com  H'es less concerned with the politics than the real practicalities.

I might have added that the readers comments are worth browsing through too. They're not the usual tribal stuff.

Sorry Retsdon, didn't find anything unbiased there! Whilst there might be something in some of it  (there's rarely smoke without fire), there is no balance.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

isnt the main italian bank propped up by several billion euro ?..................so if the euro goes into freefall it will be like the blind leading the blind...

5 hours ago, Retsdon said:

'Balance' isn't what's wanted. It's credibility.

Who defines credibility? 

Without balance you cannot make an informed decision, if you only read the guardian or indy, what would your opinions be based on? 

Like wise, if you only read the express? 

I tend to read them all and make my own mind up, rather than someone making my mind up for me. 

23 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

It is a shame that you feel like this, but essentially they will have won. I would still go and vote out of principle, even if it is a protest vote for an independent or minor party and hope that enough people do the same to make them stand up and listen.

+1

7 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

"...Equally complex supply chains exist amongst Asian tiger economies and just-in-time delivery of component parts work effectively, without these economies being part of either a single market or a customs union.'

But they are part of a single market. It's called ASEAN, which is currently in the process of expanding into RCEP (regional comprehensive economic partnership) consisting of the original ASEAN countires plus Koriea, China, Japan, Austraila  India and New Zealand. It's a massive free trade area .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Comprehensive_Economic_Partnership . 

So how come your man doesn't know this?

On 13/01/2019 at 19:06, pinfireman said:

So what is happening? Go on, list it, with EVIDENCE!

😂 lol Moggy needs to read the tea leaves and take a project fear reality pill. Gate and bolted. Look at Honda and Nissan. Look at what is happening now in financial services. (13th jan)

Your not listening boys. 

13 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's OK. It was a rhetorical question :)

It didn't sound rhetorical, you referred to him as 'your man' as if I know him.

Like I said in a previous post nothing on this subject is un-biased.

And it was still an interesting read.

Edited by Newbie to this

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

😂 lol Moggy needs to read the tea leaves and take a project fear reality pill. Gate and bolted. Look at Honda and Nissan. Look at what is happening now in financial services. (13th jan)

Your not listening boys. 

JRM on the World This Weekend reckoned that it's possible to run a JIT supply line direct from Japan! A six week shipping time is not an issue apparently. Meanwhile, in the real world the Burnaston Toyota plant takes delivery of 50 lorry loads of parts a day from Toyota's distribution centre in Belgium and the CEO says that were only 48 of them to get through, production wouldn't just  slow down - it would grind to a halt altogether..

But hey ho, what would he know about it. Probably just an agent for Project Fear anyway...

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

JRM on the World This Weekend reckoned that it's possible to run a JIT supply line direct from Japan! A six week shipping time is not an issue apparently. Meanwhile, in the real world the Burnaston Toyota plant takes delivery of 50 lorry loads of parts a day from Toyota's distribution centre in Belgium and the CEO says that were only 48 of them to get through, production wouldn't just  slow down - it would grind to a halt altogether..

But hey ho, what would he know about it. Probably just an agent for Project Fear anyway...

Sequential is the way of things now. I had an offer to work for Nissan, not that I know anything about car production.  lol great way to loose your pension I thought.

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It didn't sound rhetorical, you referred to him as 'your man' as if I know him.

Like I said in a previous post nothing on this subject is un-biased.

But sometimes the bias is founded on reality and sometimes it's not. The problem for me is that the author of the piece you linked to clearly has no interest at all in checking his facts. He just pulled his assertion about Asian car manufacturers not being in free trade agreements out of thin air. A simple google search would have thrown ASEAN up at him. Now if he's that ignorant about simple global geography, and that lazy that he can't be bothered to check his facts -why on earth should anyone give credit to anything else he says at all? It's like JRM and his 6 week JiT supply line from Japan. It's unadulterated nonsense.In fact, it's so absurd that the the only plausible explanation is that JRM doesn't care that people know he's lying. What sort of people are these?

I am obviously not in the same league as oowee and retsdon when it comes to world and trade affairs but to my simplistic take on things if you cannot get something from Belgium that comes in 50 lorries in a few days then you order the required 6 weeks in advance and have a shipload delivered on time (and probably cheaper). seemples :ninja:

Yes, you could have shiploads of parts sitting around outside the factory gate, but the point of JIT is that the manufacturing sites do not store parts. This radically reduces costs at the manufacturing plants. The parts are held in a distribution centre, and then distributed to plants in line with their production schedules. So the Toyota distribution center in Belgium ships Europe wide.

4_Sec1_InfographicFrame-Map_Manufacture-