Brexit - merged threads

scouser

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Nobody can explain to me why German made cars like Porsche are cheaper in USA than they are here. It could very well be that prices will go down once we leave

Yes, surely a manufacturer wouldn't lie to imply things will get more expensive thus helping prevent brexit if it could lesson their profit while actually benefit the UK population. 

(P. S this is a rhetorical question) 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may have seen some reports of a violent yellow jacket march through London on Saturday, with some police officers injured, and some protesters arrested.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/yellow-vests-six-arrested-police-assaulted-violence-london-whitehall-piccadilly-a8783006.html

I was walking down Whitehall on Saturday, and bumped into this march, which was at a standstill outside Scotland yard.
For starters, this was a Brexit march consisting of around   100 protesters , seemed pretty peaceful at this point.
What didnt seem too peaceful was the police around them, who were dressed for riot control and outnumbered the marchers !
Riot vans were pulled up, boxing in the 'yellow vests' with many police using video cameras, any persons drifting away from the crowd were corralled back in.
The police were in my opinion, aggressive and heavy handed considering the nature of the crowd, and its hardly surprising there was trouble further down the road.
I did take some video, but it doesnt really show much beside some banners and such, when I pointed my phone toward the police, I was told to desist immediately.

My point is , this was a very minor event, which was nothing like anything that France has seen, and without police interference, would have passed off peacefully.

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Those were my thoughts too.
Found some You tube footage so you can see the numbers involved, just over the top in my opinion.

The music was the most offensive part 🙂

1.02 mins in and it was fairly obvious what was going to happen next. 

Didnt see full riot gear, but then again the kids are jumping all over me and trying to switch to roblox and didn’t get past 2 mins

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I've cancelled my order!

That’s a shame, would have gone lovely with your German parentage Bentley 🙂

6 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Hahaha, is this why your not in Business? Four cars at £140 is not a loss to them- it’s a loss of wages/ profit to your local Merc franchise as it’s their ‘dealer margin’ your depriving them of ( after all, Imaginary 140 less production cost or say 120k, isn’t quite such a dramatic figure now is it). Unless the cars in question are of the correct spec and have already been brought in by the Importer/U.K. agent, then it will just be a dealer build request that in this case, won’t be processed and so ‘NO Loss’  to Mercedes, apart from a potential sale.

It may only be 4 cars/van to you, but it,s 4 less shipped here....And it,s a start!  If every other Leaver did the same, it would hurt them considerably, where it hurts most.....in their profits! 

And I was in business, successfully..................

5 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Surely a percentage of that £140K is the loss to the franchise, but the majority would be the loss to the factory. It would be a very dramatic figure if half the population (leavers) and potentially half the customer base of Mercedes (in UK) decided not to buy them!! (it could be approx 12.5% of Mercedes turnover!)

And that would not account for the other customers it would loose if there was a 10% increase in price due to import tax!

edit- they sell over 200,000 cars a year in UK. Do you think loosing 100,000 sales would not affect them?? With all due respect i think Pinefireman is closer to being in Business than you!

Correct! 

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Nope, I do believe he is retired?  

Honestly, how many people boycott New Zealand or French products now ( apart from Walker of course?) due to historical events? Personally I cannot see your prediction of 100000 estimated lost sale materialising, people have extremely short memories and of those 200k, how many are fleet sales? Alternatives ? Renault/ Peogeot - nope you said to boycott the French, Vauxhall ( ooooh, parent company is Opal) , Ford ( major production plants in Germany too ( should know as we used to supply them ) , Nissan vans - oops, also a Franco/ Germanic association.

But, with of course my limited knowledge of business think on this- how many manufacturing jobs are in the U.K. that supply to these French/German car Companies? Well let’s just say that it was enough for us to keep one plane operating ‘parts runs’ nearly every single day of the week.

Its not the single entity that is affected by a supposed boycott, but the smaller suppliers too and one of those might just be on your doorstep- their loss of business could be your loss of business? Project fear- nope, basic business analysis that any fool should understand.

I am now retired, but I did have a successful business at one time, which I built up, and then sold on..............as for how many people do you need for a successful boycott, it,s not a lot, but it,s the fear that others might follow that affects manufacturers.All manufacturers seek to increase sales, not see them decrease!  When people  joined the "Save the Whales" protest,  it stopped several countries from whaling, and the last two, Japan and Norway, to dramatically reduce their catches... You only need a relatively small number of protesters  to make a lot of noise, and things happen....witness the small number of Hunt Protesters, their activities put public sentiment on their side, yet they only numbered a couple of thousand....we Leavers number 17.4 MILLION!

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Honestly, how many people boycott New Zealand or French products now ( apart from Walker of course?) due to historical events? Personally I cannot see your prediction of 100000 estimated lost sale materialising, people have extremely short memories and of those 200k, how many are fleet sales? Alternatives ? Renault/ Peogeot - nope you said to boycott the French, Vauxhall ( ooooh, parent company is Opal) , Ford ( major production plants in Germany too ( should know as we used to supply them ) , Nissan vans - oops, also a Franco/ Germanic association.

But, with of course my limited knowledge of business think on this- how many manufacturing jobs are in the U.K. that supply to these French/German car Companies? Well let’s just say that it was enough for us to keep one plane operating ‘parts runs’ nearly every single day of the week.

Its not the single entity that is affected by a supposed boycott, but the smaller suppliers too and one of those might just be on your doorstep- their loss of business could be your loss of business? Project fear- nope, basic business analysis that any fool should understand.

Nissan is Japanese owned...and there are LOTS of Japanese, Korean, Malaysian etc car manufacturers eyeing the UK market. As for FORD,.  it is American owned. 

When Mercedes found that sales of some of their products were low, they built plants in.....America! 

It is not the actual boycott that forces change, it is the fear of it!

And if those like me who choose to boycott, buy a vehicle MADE here, it increases sales of that model here, increasing production of that model here, and increasing employment in the factories supplying parts here! It,s about increasing our manufacturing base...and gradually decreasing theirs!

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

No, it,s a furtherance of Project Fear! As a Remoaner, you know that!

21 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

The music was the most offensive part 🙂

1.02 mins in and it was fairly obvious what was going to happen next. 

Didnt see full riot gear, but then again the kids are jumping all over me and trying to switch to roblox and didn’t get past 2 mins

No sound on my work computer 😃

The bit in the video is later on in Piccadilly , Id made a tactical withdrawal by then to Starbucks !

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Yes but Thatcher did not close the mines in South Wales. Most of them closed under Wilson and Callighan before Thatcher's time because the demand for Welsh coal was declining as the railways went away from steam and people got gas central heating.

Debating this with an ex-miner friend, he refused to believe that more pits were closed under Labour, than under Conservative, governments between 1945 and 2015...until he did the research! Took the wind out of his sails !

hello, 7 so far,  are there more to come ? they do not like Jeremy Corbyns leadership, WELL WHO DOES !!!!!! oh Ed Miliband likes Labours values,  i seem to remember that is what Mr Blair said with his friend George Bush, it seems there is no party at this time in the UK fit for purpose, what say you PW members

18 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Nissan is Japanese owned...and there are LOTS of Japanese, Korean, Malaysian etc car manufacturers eyeing the UK market. As for FORD,.  it is American owned. 

Many of the companies are PLC's so owned by you and me. Nissan is 43% Renault which I think in turn is around 20% French Govt. Key for UK is part of Nissan new vehicle R&D is in the UK the knowledge is worth more to UK plc than the manufacturing. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Sadly they all appear to be remoaners - even those with a leave majority in there constituency

They are........!

1 hour ago, Sparticle said:

The Brexit party made by Nigel Farage will be the only independent party which in my eyes will be semi-successful in its campaign.

I think their long-term aim is the EU elections in May.........My guess is that Nigel figures Brexit is going to be sold out (May,s deal is NO deal!), and so intends to carry on the fight, regardless of what Parliament does. By getting some MEPs back into Brussels, he can continue to pee off the EU Commission!

But Nissan HQ is in Japan, and the Japanese majority Board members recently booted out their Renault CEO.....?

And the thing that all the Remoaner commentators deliberately avoid mentioning, when projecting Fear about losing car jobs here, is that Toyota recently  announced that the new Corolla, the world,s most popular car, would be built in...........DERBY! It would seem that Toyota are far more confident about Brexit than other manufacturers!

23 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

The Fiat Panda is not a ‘Sports Car’ 

Indeed you are quite correct, not surprising you're Aircrew, I suppose the Police at New Scotland Yard missed out when you found your place in the cockpit.

As Basil Fawlty used to say to Cybil, "you're a master of the bleedin' obvious!"

New...new....new....new.....new....new.....new....Labour..................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......snort.....snifff........cough.......go to the toilet .....................................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz