• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Laird Lugton said:

Best tweet of the day......

i wonder if he had one of those "oh **** " moments when he pressed the send button on the tweet...........that might stay with him the rest of his life ...like william haig at 15 years old at party conferance..:lol:

10 hours ago, pinfireman said:

and those negotiations started BEFORE the Referendum. So it,s not down to Brexit after all! Production peaked there in the early 2000,s and as some models  came to an end. they were not replaced,  production has halved. Plus, diesel cars are no longer the big  sellers, so it,s no surprise.  However, if we get the WTO withdrawal, and Trump keeps his word, Honda may yet, pull back from leaving!

We talked about Honda on this thread back on the 4th of Feb. They warned back in October.

I hear that UK plc does not have anyone in Honda working on this. Where are they Brexit planning 😂 More loss of face. Shocking. 

8 hours ago, oowee said:

We talked about Honda on this thread back on the 4th of Feb. They warned back in October.

I hear that UK plc does not have anyone in Honda working on this. Where are they Brexit planning 😂 More loss of face. Shocking. 

Perhaps you should have waited until the CEO of Honda made his statement in Japan? He states categorically that BREXIT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR DECISION! Honda are scaling back to production in Asia and America, where diesel cars are still big sellers. Honda have realised that they have come  very late to the market re: electric and hybrid cars.  If Brexit was involved, they would have been moving the plant to Europe. They are not!

8 hours ago, oowee said:

They said back in October that Brexit was not an issue! They were watching events, but so was everyone else!

19 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Makes a change.. 

It does. However, today the J. Vine show tried to make a tenuous link between the closure and Brexit by suggesting that the Japanese may feel the deal for trade ( as agreed with the Thatcher administration ) no longer needed to be honoured as we were leaving the EU. The Japanese haven't suggested this, the suggestion is entirely home grown.

Anyhow, the J. Vine programme was today asking if those workers at the Honda factory whom voted Brexit should be the first ones to go! Apparently some politician or high ranking official has made the suggestion and so the link is made!

Even if the decision was down to Brexit, the suggestion that some should be targeted for the way they voted in a democratic process is simply outrageous! Unbelievable. 

12 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Perhaps you should have waited until the CEO of Honda made his statement in Japan? He states categorically that BREXIT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR DECISION! Honda are scaling back to production in Asia and America, where diesel cars are still big sellers. Honda have realised that they have come  very late to the market re: electric and hybrid cars.  If Brexit was involved, they would have been moving the plant to Europe. They are not!

They said back in October that Brexit was not an issue! They were watching events, but so was everyone else!

You are correct

There was a lot of discussion about this today. Honda are drawing all their production back to japan as the car market continues to contract, as you say.

However, a lot of remainer saddos are trying desperately to link it to Brexit 

New labour market data from the ONS has revealed that in the last quarter of last year, 167,000 more people became employed. 2018 ended with 444,000 more people in work than a year before. The UK’s employment rate now stands at the joint-highest it has ever been since records began in 1971. Meanwhile almost 60,000 fewer people are relying on zero-hours contracts…

The unemployment rate has plummeted too, with as low levels not being since since the end of 1974. Unemployment fell by 100,000 over the course of the year, meaning every day 274 unemployed people found a job. Meanwhile, wages have risen again by 3.4%, and excluding inflation real wages are up by 1.3%. Despite Brexit, Britain’s jobs miracle continues…

4 hours ago, Scully said:

It does. However, today the J. Vine show tried to make a tenuous link between the closure and Brexit by suggesting that the Japanese may feel the deal for trade ( as agreed with the Thatcher administration ) no longer needed to be honoured as we were leaving the EU. The Japanese haven't suggested this, the suggestion is entirely home grown.

Anyhow, the J. Vine programme was today asking if those workers at the Honda factory whom voted Brexit should be the first ones to go! Apparently some politician or high ranking official has made the suggestion and so the link is made!

Even if the decision was down to Brexit, the suggestion that some should be targeted for the way they voted in a democratic process is simply outrageous! Unbelievable. 

Vine is something rhymes with.............What,s that thing that holds ships to the sea bed called?

HONDA-BREXIT-copy-540x310.png

Honda’s most senior executive in Europe was interviewed on the Today Programme to explain Honda’s decision to close its Swindon plant. Honda could not have been clearer: “This is not a Brexit-related issue for us.”

At a time when poorly-performing companies like Flybmi are only too keen to blame Brexit to cover up for their own business failings, Honda’s decision to explicitly rule out Brexit as a factor is particularly notable. Naturally this has not stopped many Remainers from spitefully gloating over the demise of thousands of jobs in their desperate pursuit of an ill-informed ‘told-you-so’ moment…

What Honda did blame were the seismic shifts in the automobile industry in recent years, particularly the sudden move towards electrification, fuelled by the diesel scandal and generally poor demand. Turkey is also facing the closure of its Honda plant – despite being in a customs union with the EU…

What has also been a major factor is the new EU-Japan trade deal, which removes a major incentive for Japanese car makes to manufacture in Europe as they will soon be able to export cars tariff-free directly from Japan. So much for the supposedly sacrosanct importance of geographic proximity in trade…

Edited by pinfireman
spelling

18 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

😞 So very sad. 

It is not correct to say that Brexit was not an issue for Honda in Oct. Both Ian Howels Head of Honda Europe and Eric Chabot Director of Logistics at Honda all said as diplomatically (read Japanese) as possible, that Brexit was a big problem. The writing was on the wall before that. 

The UK could have kept this company but we have no offer to make, end of story. There is no one to sort this out and we have been unable to tell the Japanese what our trade arrangements with them will be for the last 2 1/2 years. If we had a trade agreement we could have kept Honda and their future vehicle development program in the UK. No where else in Europe has the technology or test bed to make this offer but the UK.

Without a trade agreement we cannot make or deliver an offer to Honda. Brexit is only part of the problem yes, but without a fix on trade the rest is lost to the UK. 

Immigration Minister Caroline Nokes:

“Our view is that an international agreement such as the Belfast Agreement cannot supersede domestic legislation."

In other words, 'Take note. Any international agreement signed by the British government isn't worth the paper it's written on.'

This is marvellous theatre. Where do they find these clowns?

Edited by Retsdon

I'm afraid I am unable to see how the vote to leave the EU has resulted in the loss of UK manufacturing of Japanese cars. 

Surely even the dimmest amongst us can see that the loss of UK manufacturing is as a direct result of the EU's tariff free deal with Japan. Why make stuff in the UK when there is no longer any need in order to gain access to the market?

Edited by mick miller

3 hours ago, oowee said:

😞 So very sad. 

It is not correct to say that Brexit was not an issue for Honda in Oct. Both Ian Howels Head of Honda Europe and Eric Chabot Director of Logistics at Honda all said as diplomatically (read Japanese) as possible, that Brexit was a big problem. The writing was on the wall before that. 

The UK could have kept this company but we have no offer to make, end of story. There is no one to sort this out and we have been unable to tell the Japanese what our trade arrangements with them will be for the last 2 1/2 years. If we had a trade agreement we could have kept Honda and their future vehicle development program in the UK. No where else in Europe has the technology or test bed to make this offer but the UK.

Without a trade agreement we cannot make or deliver an offer to Honda. Brexit is only part of the problem yes, but without a fix on trade the rest is lost to the UK. 

In 2008 Honda made 230,000 cars in Swindon, Last year it was 160,000.  All Civics...

The Accord was last made there in 2002. The Jazz production was moved to Japan in 2014 (Before the Referendum).  The CR-V went to Canada in 2018 (BUT this  was announced in 2015 ! BEFORE Brexit!).

Besides the fact that diesel cars are declining, Honda were very slow to latch onto the electric or hybrid car concept. They have also taken on board that the USA are making noises about increasing tariffs on cars made in the EU (where we are at this moment, and where we may stay if politicians, and their camp followers get their way!).

Your statement is pure supposition!

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Can't help but wonder if Brussels managed to bring forward trade negotiations with Japan just in time to let naive remainers think Brexit is the issue.

Would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall....

37 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I'm afraid I am unable to see how the vote to leave the EU has resulted in the loss of UK manufacturing of Japanese cars. 

Surely even the dimmest amongst us can see that the loss of UK manufacturing is as a direct result of the EU's tariff free deal with Japan. Why make stuff in the UK when there is no longer any need in order to gain access to the market?

Correct! If Brexit was to blame, then Honda would have moved production to Slovakia, or some other God-awful 3rd world EU country!)

On 18/02/2019 at 18:17, JohnfromUK said:

I used to be a big Honda supporter.  I had a 2nd hand USA built Accord Aerodeck for many years - virtually fault free and eventually changed (aged 12 I think) due to many worn parts inc. carburettor which were expensive to replace and making passing emissions test an issue.  Great car and did quite a high mileage.

I next had a (again USA built) Civic 2 door coupé.  Again - a very good car, but traded in due to needing a 4 door hatchback due to ageing parents and dog!

Finally a (new) Civic 5 door hatchback - built in Swindon; no end of troubles - and a poor ride.  Several recalls (mainly suspension related).  After 2 years with repeated dealer visits and multiple replaced parts, gave up aas nione of the faults were corrected and traded in - moving to (2nd hand) BMW (which I still have after 11 years).

My (late) father had a Japan built Civic - and that was also excellent.

Sadly, in my view, Swindon didn't ever match the quality of USA or Japan built cars.

Reminds me of a series of Japanese cars, Subaru WRX's. My first was a grey import Wagon with a rare auto box. !997 I believe, apart from a gearbox repair, it ailed nothing in the 4 years I had it. I sold it at 14 years old and on my last ramp inspection, it was just as good underneath as it was on top. I then bought the first of 2 UK spec cars, first of the 'New shape' WRX bugeyes
 both bled me dry with repairs and the rot on both was spectacular. JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) are far better built than what they send us in the UK.

2 minutes ago, das said:

Reminds me of a series of Japanese cars, Subaru WRX's. My first was a grey import Wagon with a rare auto box. !997 I believe, apart from a gearbox repair, it ailed nothing in the 4 years I had it. I sold it at 14 years old and on my last ramp inspection, it was just as good underneath as it was on top. I then bought the first of 2 UK spec cars, first of the 'New shape' WRX bugeyes
 both bled me dry with repairs and the rot on both was spectacular. JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) are far better built than what they send us in the UK.

True...............I imported an MX5, 1994 model. I still have it, my summer  mid life crisis car!  Now 25 years old. It has had a new clutch in the 14 years I have owned it, and nothing else! Underneath is still strong. It lives outside in all weathers.

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

Exactly

while it is devastating news about honda it is no surprise with EU having tarriff free trade with japan. pity all the whingeing by remoaners over job losses were not voiced when we joined the EEC or Common Market as it was by the political parties at the time both lab. and tory.This opportunity gives us a chance to create more jobs .the younger PWmembers cuold look and see how many jobs were lost in UK since we joined this white elephant .the first time to have avote on membership and the gov. make a dogs dinner ofit

No mention, by our main Remoaners, about Chrysler closing Linwood, Scotlands only car plant? Or Peugeot closing Coventry? Ford Closing Dagenham?  Longbridge?  And all during our time in the EU..........? How strange...

No doubt they will claim that those car makers were psychic, and could tell fortunes!

Edited by pinfireman