Brexit - merged threads

scouser

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:21, Blackstone said:

A referendum that was advisory and not legally binding. 

Where do you get that idea from? David Cameron made it absolutely crystal clear before the referendum that if we vote leave then we leave. 

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Where do you get that idea from? David Cameron made it absolutely crystal clear before the referendum that if we vote leave then we leave. 

I get the feeling it was DC's retalitaion for EU knocking his changes demands back.

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Onr vote just lost by two.. No one asked for another vote. Strange how all these votes are democratic and being stuck too yet the democratic referendum is still not being stuck too.. 

Some of these votes are testing the water and will come back in for later consideration.

13 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Onr vote just lost by two.. No one asked for another vote. Strange how all these votes are democratic and being stuck too yet the democratic referendum is still not being stuck too.. 

Some of these votes are testing the water and will come back in for later consideration.

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

wp_ss_20190314_0003.png.6350da5f6d6bfaaea77e3e03e2433bc5.png

I thought they were voting to extend the deadline??

The next one up is the extension. All have been close, even the first as approx 230 didn't vote - mainly labour abstaining.

Just trying to understand what is going on after the last few days.

We leave on the 29th unless the deal that the eu want is agreed. in which case we may get an extension.

If the eu deal is not agreed we may not get an extension so we leave on the 29th with no deal.

but parliament have voted not to leave with no deal.

So as I see it we leave but not really as we will still be under eu control or we don't leave! 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

As far as I'm aware all UK referendum outcomes are legally non binding

Whilst that may be legally correct, Prime Ministers Cameron and May both committed firmly to carrying through the result of the referendum.  Indeed Cameron resigned solely because he was a remainer and felt he would not be the right person to carry out a policy against which he had campaigned.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Indeed Cameron resigned solely because he was a remainer and felt he would not be the right person to carry out a policy against which he had campaigned

Even though he said he would, for me this is where the Brexit betrayal started. He resigned because of the things he said during the campaign, things he was recorded saying. Things which made the betrayal impossible.

7 minutes ago, bluesj said:

We leave on the 29th unless the deal that the eu want is agreed.

Correct.  If we take the May/EU deal - we leave on those terms on 29th.  There may be an extension to allow various things to be 'put in place'

If we don't sign May's deal or change/revoke/ extend Article 50 we leave on 29th - with no deal.

IF we do revoke Article 50 - we don't leave.

If we extend article 50 we leave whenever the extension finished (unless there are other changes/deals in the meanwhile which is highly likely)

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Or even simpler; just say no to the 39b and leave. Why we can’t just do this has never been explained. What on earth could the EU do to us? 

If only, if only but these **** won't let us off the hook so easily, but I feel they shortly might.

4 hours ago, Blackstone said:

Uhh, the whole point of lobbyists is to influence government policy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbying

Rewulf do you mind telling me your current life situation - do you work, or are you retired? If you do work, in what sector? I am genuinely curious as to whether or not you're worried at all about the economic impact of a no deal Brexit.

No deal please. I remember the post war austerity of the 50's, rationing, hand me downs, improvision. The people who fear a no deal unfortunately have no idea of picking themselves up and improving their lot by their own efforts as we had to do.. Idle remoaners, well thats all they can do which is moan.

1 minute ago, das said:

No deal please. I remember the post war austerity of the 50's, rationing, hand me downs, improvision. The people who fear a no deal unfortunately have no idea of picking themselves up and improving their lot by their own efforts as we had to do.. Idle remoaners, well thats all they can do which is moan.

Something to look forward to then :lol:

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Whilst that may be legally correct, Prime Ministers Cameron and May both committed firmly to carrying through the result of the referendum.  Indeed Cameron resigned solely because he was a remainer and felt he would not be the right person to carry out a policy against which he had campaigned.

I think Cameron resigned because he knew (from experience) that it would be impossible to negotiate anything with the EU so why put himself through all that stress and humiliation?

Once bitten twice shy and all that. I am sure in my own mind that if Cameron had not been so badly, and publicly, snubbed by EU leaders before the referendum the public vote may not have gone the way it did.  

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

I am sure in my own mind that if Cameron had not been so badly, and publicly, snubbed by EU leaders before the referendum the public vote may not have gone the way it did.

I agree, that and the completely overblown "Project Fear"

On 13/03/2019 at 17:05, oowee said:

Strange I thought. 'MPs are the Servants of the people'!

That is ALL the people in this case..........it keeps slipping your mind, but 17.4 MILLION people voted to Leave, a majority of 1.2 MILLION. It was never a case of your little area can stay, and ours can Leave. It was a NATIONAL VOTE!

On 13/03/2019 at 19:19, Scully said:

I’ve asked a few times now but no one seems to be able to answer; just what precisely does this abyss consist of? 

They do not know, just a phrase drummed up by some useless newspaper (The Guardian springs to mind!)

21 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Strange indeed I suspect some here in MI are telling porkies.

The economy here needs to boom a lot more based on some of the districts I drove around today. Oh and we think our pot-holes are bad...

Again, my experience in the Western states is the opposite. The roads are in good repair, and quickly repaired, And the weather conditions their roads suffer make our climate seem almost tropical. 

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Exactly what Putin wants. 

Putin is already making it, he supplies most of Europe with gas!

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

anyone remember who Geena Millar is ?

I know what she is..........................

Technically, the Brexit referendum is an advisory referendum: even if Parliament had agreed to be bound by the result of that vote, one of the fundamental characteristics of a parliamentary body is that any decision a parliamentary body makes, it can subsequently unmake. Thus, even if Parliament had agreed to be bound by the referendum (which it did not), Parliament could still, in its considered opinion, receive the result of the referendum and move not to accept the results but to instead strike the language in which it previously agreed to accept the result. This is because Parliament has what is called “parliamentary sovereignty”: Parliament, and only Parliament (in this case referring to the legal construction sometimes called “King in Parliament”, the combination of the Monarch and the two Houses of Parliament all acting in agreement) has the final authority to determine, without any limitation whatsoever, what the law of the United Kingdom is.

17 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

That is ALL the people in this case..........it keeps slipping your mind, but 17.4 MILLION people voted to Leave, a majority of 1.2 MILLION. It was never a case of your little area can stay, and ours can Leave. It was a NATIONAL VOTE!

and that remain figure includes all the foreign  nationals who weren't supposed be allowed to vote but did anyway due to a suspiciously convenient oversight.

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Technically, the Brexit referendum is an advisory referendum: even if Parliament had agreed to be bound by the result of that vote, one of the fundamental characteristics of a parliamentary body is that any decision a parliamentary body makes, it can subsequently unmake. Thus, even if Parliament had agreed to be bound by the referendum (which it did not), Parliament could still, in its considered opinion, receive the result of the referendum and move not to accept the results but to instead strike the language in which it previously agreed to accept the result. This is because Parliament has what is called “parliamentary sovereignty”: Parliament, and only Parliament (in this case referring to the legal construction sometimes called “King in Parliament”, the combination of the Monarch and the two Houses of Parliament all acting in agreement) has the final authority to determine, without any limitation whatsoever, what the law of the United Kingdom is.

So tell me, what was the point of the referendum if the result is going to be ignored as appears to be the case?