Brexit - merged threads

scouser

I hope the Bercow decision is upheld, no good reason for the EU to agree an extension as there is currently nothing else on the table to delay for.

Whilst no deal remains the default, if I were an ardent Brexiteer I wouldn't be ordering the bunting and arranging the street party just yet...

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

I hope the Bercow decision is upheld, no good reason for the EU to agree an extension as there is currently nothing else on the table to delay for.

Whilst no deal remains the default, if I were an ardent Brexiteer I wouldn't be ordering the bunting and arranging the street party just yet...

You could well be right. 

The EU has found a way to extend article 50 without putting it to a council vote of the 27.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/18/eu-could-hand-may-lifeline-with-formal-offer-of-new-brexit-date

So much for the rules eh? 

18 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Yep. You REALLY couldn’t make it up could you, but it appears the EU CAN make it up, as and when it suits the agenda! 😃

We’re all just sleepwalking into this; I sincerely hope those responsible get what they deserve. 🙂

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You could well be right. 

The EU has found a way to extend article 50 without putting it to a council vote of the 27.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/18/eu-could-hand-may-lifeline-with-formal-offer-of-new-brexit-date

I don't follow the logic whereby a delay to Brexit constitutes demonstrably substantive changes to the governments withdrawal agreement. They are all making it up as they go along...

14 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

Actually, I am quite partial to Penderyn's product.  Based on what you say, I might have to ditch the Scottish stuff when they get independence (only a matter of time?).

And Johnfrom UK - sorry to have offended you by adding the ice...……. 

I'm conscious of the fact we are now way off topic. Sorry, I'll stop.

Worry not, it seems that Brexit is way off topic too?

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good to see something sensible come out of Speaker John Bercows mouth for a change!

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/meaningful-vote-three-brexit-deal-john-bercow/

How is it sensible? Its apparently from the 1600's its just him show boating as usual.

I don't disagree that May shouldn't just keep trying to put the same deal through, even if the DUP have been bought off.

Just heard something interesting about the elections coming up in Europe, if were still in when this happens we can cause all sorts of problems so I cant see 27 countries all saying yes to an extension.

Ten days no deal come on 💪 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

How is it sensible? Its apparently from the 1600's its just him show boating as usual.

I don't disagree that May shouldn't just keep trying to put the same deal through, even if the DUP have been bought off.

Just heard something interesting about the elections coming up in Europe, if were still in when this happens we can cause all sorts of problems so I cant see 27 countries all saying yes to an extension.

Ten days no deal come on 💪 

Simply because he has told the Prime Minister that she cannot have a 3rd vote on the same **** poor agreement she has already lost 2 votes over.

So she either makes significant changes and has he r 3rd "meaningful vote" or lets it go and we have hopefully a short extension to Brexit and then get out before the pointless European Parliament elections.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Simply because he has told the Prime Minister that she cannot have a 3rd vote on the same **** poor agreement she has already lost 2 votes over.

So she either makes significant changes and has he r 3rd "meaningful vote" or lets it go and we have hopefully a short extension to Brexit and then get out before the pointless European Parliament elections.

How about no extension, and a week on Friday were out ? :good:

Any issues, and we'll head down the Winchester, have a few pints , and wait for it to all blow over 😎

31 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

We can't have a vote on the same thing in Parliament, but we can have a second Referendum on the same thing. Just how does that work? Imbeciles.

I do not favour a second referendum, but the correct question (should we have one) would be a "No Deal" versus "May's Deal" .......... and so would be different.

There is no point in having any 'Remain' option in a second referendum, as that was rejected at the first referendum.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I do not favour a second referendum, but the correct question (should we have one) would be a "No Deal" versus "May's Deal" .......... and so would be different.

There is no point in having any 'Remain' option in a second referendum, as that was rejected at the first referendum.

thats the only credible question you could put on the ballot paper

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Although all that makes perfect sense on all points to us uneducated peasants, when you are  of the far superior intelligence of the political class, the elite, that simply wont fly 😂

We have to understand that we dont understand the world like they do, we are like children that need to hold their hand as we go through life ...

Unfortunately our worldly 'parents' have 10 days to cover our eyes and shield us from the horrors of life outside the EU , 10 days to distract us from what we wanted, and somehow divert our attention with something shiny, so they can reset the clock and pretend it never happened.
Because children have such a short attention span, havent they ?

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Or a two part referendum. Leave or remain. Deal or no deal. 

Why ? 
Who is unsure of what they want ? Has anyone asked you ? Me ?

Its only MPs who seem unsure to me...

No time for another referendum anyway, without a delay, or is that a good reason for a delay  ?

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Or most likely. Tory more mess and mayhem. Labour, customs union. 

Labour could have avoided all the mess, and voted with Mays deal, Im personally glad, but dont blame the tories when Labour could have ended it easily.

Anyway, times up, no delay = no deal, shall we blame the tories for that too, Labour ? Gina Miller, the ERG ?

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Or a two part referendum. Leave or remain. Deal or no deal. 

Or most likely. Tory more mess and mayhem. Labour, customs union. 

Based on the way events have unfolded recently I really don't think a further vote by the people is the way to go. Parliament have and are doing a pretty good job of messing the whole thing up and I say let's allow them to see it through one way or the other. Either way let's give the mofos enough rope to hang themselves with and not allow any notion of blame to be put back against the public.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Labour could have avoided all the mess, and voted with Mays deal, Im personally glad, but dont blame the tories when Labour could have ended it easily.

Anyway, times up, no delay = no deal, shall we blame the tories for that too, Labour ? Gina Miller, the ERG ?

The blame lies solely at the Tories door. They proposed the mess, they are the government, they have delivered zilch.

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Based on the way events have unfolded recently I really don't think a further vote by the people is the way to go. Parliament have and are doing a pretty good job of messing the whole thing up and I say let's allow them to see it through one way or the other. Either way let's give the mofos enough rope to hang themselves with and not allow any notion of blame to be put back against the public.

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Exactly !

There is one section of Parliament that is staying true to the ref result, and thats the ERG.
Its all very well painting them as some kind of far right group, but its just a slur that satisfies remainer ideology.
They have said they will support May if she can deal with the backstop.

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

The blame lies solely at the Tories door. They proposed the mess, they are the government, they have delivered zilch.

Labour have refused to back Mays deal all the way, she cant get it through without them ?
Rather than deliver Brexit, they used it to try and force an election, until they realised they couldnt win it , even if Corby promised to deliver manna from heaven to everyone.

They supported a 'peoples vote' until they realised how deeply unpopular it was to the majority of voters.
The tories have failed in government yes..but not nearly as bad as labour has failed at being opposition, they change their idiotic policies like a footballer changes their socks.
People notice these things, they are not viable.

Labour have thwarted every attempt to deliver Brexit, even Mays rubbish idea of it, and for that they will pay a heavy price.

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Labour have thwarted every attempt to deliver Brexit, even Mays rubbish idea of it, and for that they will pay a heavy price.

The real problem with Labour is that they have a leader who most of his MPs don't like (they have tried to unseat him) and has spent his whole career 'opposing' both his own party, the other parties, our armed forces, our Monarchy as an institution, business and the City, most of the public and most of our allies and friends on the world stage.

The people he 'supports' are a rag bag of terrorists (IRA, Hezbolla, Hamas etc,) and 'one party state' lefties (Cuba, Venezuela - possibly even North Korea).

As a natural 'opposer' he seems to oppose 'No Deal', May's Deal, Remaining and wants 6 tests that are completely impractical (other than by remaining in)

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

The real problem with Labour is that they have a leader who most of his MPs don't like (they have tried to unseat him) and has spent his whole career 'opposing' both his own party, the other parties, our armed forces, our Monarchy as an institution, business and the City, most of the public and most of our allies and friends on the world stage.

The people he 'supports' are a rag bag of terrorists (IRA, Hezbolla, Hamas etc,) and 'one party state' lefties (Cuba, Venezuela - possibly even North Korea).

They seem to have a fairly single mind when it comes to voting on NOT delivering Brexit, maybe because they are mostly remainers.

The word is May is going to ask for an extension into June, AFTER  the EU elections ?
This causes the EU all kinds of problems, and makes the granting of an A50 extension even less likely among the 27, that is of course if they even put it to a council vote.
With their new found executive powers the commission might just do it anyway, and charge us a few billion to cover the inconvenience..and no Im not joking.

16 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

There is one section of Parliament that is staying true to the ref result, and thats the ERG.
Its all very well painting them as some kind of far right group, but its just a slur that satisfies remainer ideology.
They have said they will support May if she can deal with the backstop.

Labour have refused to back Mays deal all the way, she cant get it through without them ?
Rather than deliver Brexit, they used it to try and force an election, until they realised they couldnt win it , even if Corby promised to deliver manna from heaven to everyone.

They supported a 'peoples vote' until they realised how deeply unpopular it was to the majority of voters.
The tories have failed in government yes..but not nearly as bad as labour has failed at being opposition, they change their idiotic policies like a footballer changes their socks.
People notice these things, they are not viable.

Say what you like it's clearly a Tory composition a Tory orchestra that's turned to a ball of ....... Sod all to do with labour they are not the Govt they did not propose the fiasco. 

Added to which for the last two years they have delivered diddly squat outside of the mess that they have composed. A complete waste of air and expenses. It would be hard to imagine any government that has ever achieved less and more division in such a short space of time.

Edited by oowee

Brexit analogy. So we've all been on a night out with a mate and he says 'it's carp here' - 'let's go somewhere else' Then when you leave you realise that you have no idea where to go and the place you left won't let you back in. The UK is standing in a kebab shop at 2 am arguing over who's fault it is. 

Edited by oowee