Brexit - merged threads

scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on her logic that unless 100% of the electorate actually vote, every single election in the history of elections has not been valid.

We live in strange times when a losing side want to keep having a another vote until they win.

5m+ people have voted to have another EU referendum. By my reckoning that's only about 30% of those who voted to stay last time. It's also 12m less people than those who voted to leave.

By my `logic` - that means 5m+ votes means very little. 

EDIT:  The EU Referendum voter turnout was 72.2% - more than any election since 1992. 

Edited by hedge

4 minutes ago, hedge said:

Based on her logic that unless 100% of the electorate actually vote, every single election in the history of elections has not been valid.

We live in strange times when a losing side want to keep having a another vote until they win.

5m+ people have voted to have another EU referendum. By my reckoning that's only about 30% of those who voted to stay last time. It's also 12m less people than those who voted to leave.

There are apparently over 5m signatures which by the very nature of the system have come from all over the place, hence an invalid and useless display of how not to force your will on to 620 or so MPs.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

The stuff we hear about how people voted leave because they didn't know the full facts winds me right up. The first thing is I can't stand people telling me my reasons for doing anything and more importantly no-one knew then or knows now the "full facts" because no-one has ever left before. Hotel California springs to mind. Hopefully it will be easier for the next country that jumps ship.

The Brexiteers in Parliament are nothing but hot air, blustering about how they will do this and do that, but they have done nothing. Zero. All 650 MPs should hang their heads in shame.

I'd be willing to let the 6million have their second vote but only if every vote after that was run the same way, general and local elections and votes within parliament. The winning side has to win by 65% or it goes to the best of 3! 

If that is not ok with them **** off.

2 hours ago, hedge said:

EDIT:  The EU Referendum voter turnout was 72.2% - more than any election since 1992. 

Ah, but don’t forget that not everyone either knows about the petition/ can be bothered to sign it or as iny parents case- don’t use the internet.

18 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Ah, but don’t forget that not everyone either knows about the petition/ can be bothered to sign it or as iny parents case- don’t use the internet.

Which is why we had an official referendum, you know, the largest vote in our country's history, the one where leave won. So tell me, what's the point of an online petition on a subject that's already been voted on and settled by the entire UK population? 

56 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I'd be willing to let the 6million have their second vote but only if every vote after that was run the same way, general and local elections and votes within parliament. The winning side has to win by 65% or it goes to the best of 3! 

If that is not ok with them **** off.

What percentage of that 6 mill are eligible to vote though? Take out the foreign people who signed, the illegal immigrants who signed, the kids who signed, and the remainers who signed 50 times each, you aren't left with anything like that number. In any case it's a lot less than 17/4 million.

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

What percentage of that 6 mill are eligible to vote though? Take out the foreign people who signed, the illegal immigrants who signed, the kids who signed, and the remainers who signed 50 times each, you aren't left with anything like that number. In any case it's a lot less than 17/4 million.

Based on what facts- thought we had established that unless your there yourself then we can’t rely on hearsay.

I didn’t sign 50 times, so that’s your argument straight out of the window.

Its almost as good as the quote from someone who said they knew people who went to the march, but didn’t hear a single British accent! 

This Petition isn’t designed to get the Governor to change their mind as such ( I accept what’s done is done), but to show that there is a concern over how things have developed.

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

I agree.

Its a bit like people saying 30 some odd million didn't vote to leave the eu, by my reckoning the most it could have been was 28.3 that didn't vote to leave the eu. On the other hand 29.7 million didn't vote to stay!

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

I agree.

Its a bit like people saying 30 some odd million didn't vote to leave the eu, by my reckoning the most it could have been was 28.3 that didn't vote to leave the eu. On the other hand 29.7 million didn't vote to stay!

:good:

14 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

This Petition isn’t designed to get the Governor to change their mind as such ( I accept what’s done is done), but to show that there is a concern over how things have developed.

The only concern regarding the referendum is that Parliament is refusing to action the result. Call it whatever you want, a hard, wto, clean ect brexit, but if the EU won't give us a free and sensible trade deal, then a "hard" brexit is exactly what was voted for, so again, what is the point to that petition, the debate should have been settled with the official referendum? 

2 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

The only concern regarding the referendum is that Parliament is refusing to action the result. Call it whatever you want, a hard, wto, clean ect brexit, but if the EU won't give us a free and sensible trade deal, then a "hard" brexit is exactly what was voted for, so again, what is the point to that petition, the debate should have been settled with the official referendum? 

And if the right people had done the negotiating we wouldn't be in this mess.

Fancy sending remainers to do the bidding, no wonder it all went wrong!

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

The point of the Petition is that there is the freedom to have a Petition, I’m sure you have signed the odd one or two in the past ? Fox hunting or some firearms ban? Some would say “what’s the point”or “why should shooters be allowed to Petition as guns are dangerous”, as I said, we have the freedom to express ones opinion - if you agree with this persons opinion boils down to ones individual beliefs 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And of course if there is a 2nd referendum and it is still LEAVE by a majority however large or small, will there be a 3rd referendum?

Have heard a number of MP's advocating a 2nd Vote tonight on the EU biased Sky news, the options being Mays Deal or Remain.  That is like saying would you like to slit your throat or shoot yourself, both have the same outcome.  They all managed to keep a straight face too.

You miss the point, we had all the debate before the Referendum and then the decision was passed to us Plebs and we voted with much sense to Leave the corrupt EUSSR.  Since that vote Politicians seem to have forgotten that little detail and have carried on debating whether we should stay or not as if it was before the Referendum or if they are not doing that then how to pervert enacting the Leave vote.

Edited by JRDS

10 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

The point of the Petition is that there is the freedom to have a Petition, I’m sure you have signed the odd one or two in the past ? Fox hunting or some firearms ban? Some would say “what’s the point”or “why should shooters be allowed to Petition as guns are dangerous”, as I said, we have the freedom to express ones opinion - if you agree with this persons opinion boils down to ones individual beliefs 

I am a huge believer in freedom and democracy, of course you can sign any petition you wish. The point is, it's irrelevant, it's an issue that has just had a nationwide vote and the result is leave, the politicians needs to deliver on it. Anyone holding a petition up as a reason for another vote or demanding brexit is blocked, either directly or indirectly (like revoking article 50 for instance) is simply trying to overturn democracy. 

If I’m missing the point- then why are you all on here still talking about it? Why are the Politicians still ‘talking about’ if it was that black n white.

What evidence do you have that the EU is corrupt? Have you had personal dealings or is it just the signing off of the Statement of accounts?

If you want ‘corruption’ or mid-use of positions then how about UK cross party expense claims? Assignment of Contracts? HS2 ? The Banking system? 

On a tiddly scale I’m sure there is a time that you have accepted to turn a blind eye to something? Maybe you ‘accidently’ forgot to pay the VAT on something or asked not too? The scale may be measurably different but the principle is the same—- the World works this way and always has, most probably always will.

Is it right? Of course not but I have a level of acceptance.

More important note- how on earth did we just let a goal in against Montenegro!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

I am a huge believer in freedom and democracy, of course you can sign any petition you wish. The point is, it's irrelevant, it's an issue that has just had a nationwide vote and the result is leave, the politicians needs to deliver on it. Anyone holding a petition up as a reason for another vote or demanding brexit is blocked, either directly or indirectly (like revoking article 50 for instance) is simply trying to overturn democracy. 

And had the shoe been on the other foot, your honestly telling me that if the wax s Petition to force another vote to leave that you wouldn’t sign it? Pinocchio 

6 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

And had the shoe been on the other foot, your honestly telling me that if the wax s Petition to force another vote to leave that you wouldn’t sign it?

Yes, however the case is different as the result of the referendum would have been acted on and we would still be in.  Now we have politicos and other vested interests trying to subvert the vote.   Once we a properly out you can the petition to join that would be an identical situation.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yes, however the case is different as the result of the referendum would have been acted on and we would still be in.  Now we have politicos and other vested interests trying to subvert the vote.   Once we a properly out you can the petition to join that would be an identical situation.

Now wouldn’t that be funny - rejoin within a year.......

Phew 2-1 btw