scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

I really am hoping that, yes it won't make any difference but nor does it seem voting properly.

I totally agree that Parliament has let the electorate down wholesale.  But, looking at my own constituency, which voted to leave, our M.P. has consistently voted leave (and for the much hated May deal, though that is the only remaining official 'leave' channel).  Those whose M.P.s have let them down need to act at constituency level to ensure that those individuals (such as Soubery) are not selected to stand again.  But remember there are many of us whose M.P.s have towed the line and are as frustrated as many voters are.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I totally agree that Parliament has let the electorate down wholesale.  But, looking at my own constituency, which voted to leave, our M.P. has consistently voted leave (and for the much hated May deal, though that is the only remaining official 'leave' channel).  Those whose M.P.s have let them down need to act at constituency level to ensure that those individuals (such as Soubery) are not selected to stand again.  But remember there are many of us whose M.P.s have towed the line and are as frustrated as many voters are.

Bang on, its all well and good people saying I'm not voting again, our grandparents, parents friends didn't die in Europe and around the world for us to just think its not worth it, vote out the traitors out.

I always thought politicians told you anything you wanted to hear to get your vote never gave you a straight answer  then got elected and implied voting in the best interests  of their constituents while lining their pockets so far I don't think I have been proved wrong what a mess

6 hours ago, Scully said:

I'm so disillusioned now that I genuinely don't care if labour get in. Seriously. 

I would have thought that you'd be pleased. The wording of the original extension....

the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council. 

The UK hasn't indicated any kind of a way forward at all, so why would Tusk call an EU council meeting on the 10th? Any further extension also requires a unanimous agreement among the council 27, and going by what's coming out of the capitals of Europe the chances of that would appear to be about zilch. So the logical explanation is that the 10th is a glorified a photo op - a chance for everyone to express their regrets, etc, etc, before the 27 EU leaders gather to have their picture taken on the steps, waving goodbye as the UK fades out of sight behind a thick band of Channel fog.

Happy days.

Edited by Retsdon

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I would have thought that you'd be pleased. The wording of the original extension....

the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council. 

The UK hasn't indicated any kind of a way forward at all, so why would Tusk call an EU council meeting on the 10th? Any further extension also requires a unanimous agreement among the council 27, and going by what's coming out of the capitals of Europe the chances of that would appear to be about zilch. So the logical explanation is that the 10th is a glorified a photo op - a chance for everyone to express their regrets, etc, etc, before the 27 EU leaders gather to have their picture taken on the steps, waving goodbye as the UK fades out of sight behind a thick band of Channel fog.

Happy days.

I’m afraid none of it means anything. Apparently the ‘no deal’ exit for last night was set in stone; it didn’t happen. People repeatedly claim this that and the other regarding how we are obliged to leave if this that or the other is or isn’t in place. None of it means anything; it’s all twaddle.  

Fog in Channel....Europe cut off. 👍

41 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

More evidence of the extremes of politics, the backlash of the disenfranchised. Who will win the extremists or the moderates. 

Well apparently there were 'thousands' of pro brexit marchers in London yesterday. The main headline being that a couple of them were arrested. 

"It's has been the most extraordinary day. A day which has seen… I’ve never seen so many white people in one place.

“It’s an extraordinary story — there are people everywhere, there are crowds everywhere" said one reporter. 

So I'm I'm going to call it, there were 5 million, a completely baseless figure, just like the 'million people march' last week, sounds good though doesn't it? 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

More evidence of the extremes of politics, the backlash of the disenfranchised. Who will win the extremists or the moderates

Ha, by ignoring people, sidelining peoples concerns, and most importantly urinating on a a winning vote, you are creating extremists by the bucket load. 

Parliament, at the moment, is a joke, sowing the seeds of it own demise. 

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

None of it means anything; it’s all twaddle.  

Do you think? '

'.....an official in Macron’s office said there would be no further extensions, even to implement the exit: “No, April 12 is the leave date.”'   https://www.france24.com/en/20190322-europe-eu-brexit-macron-uk-may-prisoner Macron makes no bones about it -  he wants the UK out before the EU elections. So we'll see. It hardly looks like  the EU will get the unanimous agreement needed for another extension.

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

More evidence of the extremes of politics, the backlash of the disenfranchised. Who will win the extremists or the moderates. 

Grieve represents a constituency that had a majority for leave.  Since he has consistently frustrated the leave attempts, they are entirely justified in having no confidence in him.  That is not 'extreme' - it is the normal process by which you can express 'no confidence' in someone who is not representing the constituency majority interests - and is entirely the right way of going about it; no thrown eggs, threats, violence - just the right democratic process

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

The first of many to be deselected. The next election will see wholesale changes.

11642168-0-image-a-34_1553905857207.jpg.d1234a30efd712dda21773d07632ef13.jpg

Was, Anna, being the operative word, so when he STOPPED putting his constituents first and ignored ahis countries majority vote, this is what you get, the boot! 

Just like is going to happen to you shortly. 

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

. It hardly looks like  the EU will get the unanimous agreement needed for another extension

What happened in the first one? 

Parliament does work. iIt hasn't worked over Brexit almost wholly because of the ineptitude of this government. May came to the House asking for it to basically sign a blank cheque, and so it's hardly surprising that Parliament, whose main job is to keep the Executive branch of government in check, (excuse the repetition) was not nor prepared to sign it. As for the Commons being unable to formulate a forward plan - well that's not their job either. Their real job is to act like a jury in a courtroom - examining the legislation that the executive branch puts in front of them and giving it a yea or a nay. Parliament is not designed to formulate legislation any more than a jury is designed to prosecute or defend on points of law. 

But I'll agree, Parliament hasnt' done its job properly. If it had, May's government would have falllen to a no confidence vote in the middle of last year at the latest.

12 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

A ‘Facebook’ ‘like button’  system —— only joking, but it seems not too far fetched.

Ochlocracy is the technical term. :)