scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Mark Wallace;

Two Conservative MPs lost confidence votes at their local associations’ respective AGMs this evening.
The first was Dominic Grieve, in Beaconsfield, where members reportedly voted by 182 to 131 against him. As readers might expect, the primary topic of the night’s discussions was Brexit. What happens next is uncertain – a confidence vote does not hold formal weight in terms of deselection, though it is obviously a pretty clear verdict. Nor do we know if Grieve intends to seek readoption to stand again at the next election. The Beaconsfield association chairman says that “He [Grieve] remains our Conservative MP but I will be speaking as soon as possible to my fellow officers and the Executive Council.”

The second MP in trouble tonight is Andrew Griffiths, who lost a no confidence vote by what I’m told was a “clear” margin at the East Staffordshire Association AGM. The issue there was not Brexit but the widely-publicised controversies and misconduct allegations against the MP, which led to his suspension from the Party last year (he was reinstated to the Tory whip shortly before the confidence vote on Theresa May, to much criticism).

The strength of feeling against Griffiths locally appears to be sizeable. The motion was proposed by the leader of Staffordshire County Council and seconded by the Association President, which obviously gives it some heft. Immediately before the AGM, the association executive voted to require Griffiths to apply to seek readoption if he wishes to stand again – effectively a method of accelerating deselection (a tactic attempted in Grantham earlier in the year). Like Grieve, this vote does not compel a sitting MP to depart, now or later, but with senior local Tories, the association executive and the grassroots membership all pretty much arrayed against him continuing the message is quite blunt.

20 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You keep suggesting people didn't know what they voted for, but they did, ...

Agreed. But they weren't by any means all voting for a hard Brexit. People had all kinds of expectations. The chart below is from June 2016.

1*1D7mpisUfnHdmRX1YyveNw.jpeg

Edited by Retsdon

5 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Agreed. But they weren't by any means all voting for a hard Brexit. An overwhelming majority were against it. The chart below is from June 2016.

1*1D7mpisUfnHdmRX1YyveNw.jpeg

I'll ask it again, who on here who voted leave would not feel a wto brexit delivered on their vote? 

P. S the silence is deffening! 

Edited by 12gauge82

29 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Chickens have an extremely limited flight envelope!

On Skype a couple of hours ago, I was talking to  Mrs. R, and behind her the chickens were literally going to roost the in the trees surrounding my mother in laws house. Perhaps it's just because they're Thai chickens, but these things were taking off like pheasants!

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Sorry but one of my key takes from the Brexit process is highlighting that we have far bigger problems than being in the EU, the leave vote is symptomatic of the problem but the EU isn't the ONLY problem.

There you go I fixed it for you :good:

Edited by Newbie to this

3 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Let's hope Macron does our politicians job for them and forces a "hard" brexit, it'll be music to the ears of everyone who voted for brexit and will honour the referendum result 🙏👍

I'll keep my fingers crossed....but it wont happen. 

3 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

I was travelling home from work Friday evening and took three hours to get from Chelsea to Canary Wharf area, all due to brexit demonstrations,

roads blocked by police, roads blocked by trawlers on the back of an hgv, roads blocked by coaches from different European countries and double decors adorned with ******** to brexit slogans  protesters everywhere and more police and ambulance personnel than I’ve ever seen before riot vans helicopters dog units the works

hopefully the politicians will pull their fingers out and get their jobs done sooner rather than later  

Imagine if something serious had happened, the country has come to a stand still waiting on an exit

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just how stupid is this damned conservative MP?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47761241

Dominic Grieve is moaning that the campaign that lead to him losing a vote of no confidence was orchestrated!

Well I never!:rolleyes:

All of those who failed to represent their voters should start to feel the heat shortly I`d imagine and they deserve nothing more !!!

2 minutes ago, toxo said:

Was not leaving on 29th march NOT set in law?

Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'set'. Under the terms of Article 50, to which Britain is party as an EU member, in the absence of a Withdrawal Agreement the 29th was the leave date.But the UK government requested an extension and got it. The legal ins and outs of that, I've no idea about - but I presume it was all done by the book.

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'set'. Under the terms of Article 50, to which Britain is party as an EU member, in the absence of a Withdrawal Agreement the 29th was the leave date.But the UK government requested an extension and got it. The legal ins and outs of that, I've no idea about - but I presume it was all done by the book.

Because "Parliament" (brackets because I don't recognise this bunch of self servers as a proper Parliament) passed a motion to take "no deal" off the table explicitly because there was no sign of a WA and the will of 17.4 people would have been enacted on the 29th March.

16 minutes ago, toxo said:

Was not leaving on 29th march NOT set in law?

Yes it was. 

8 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'book' in this case the EU tore out the page that said, we leave on the 29th, wrote in 22nd of May IF the WA was signed this week, it wasn't, so now we leave on the 12th of April. 

This extension was supposed to be voted  on unanimously by the 27 Council members , but wasn't, they tore that page out too, and made 'a special instrument' 

Make no mistake, the EU is floundering as much as our government, trying to derail brexit. 

Expect more of their own laws to be broken in the next week or so. 

7 minutes ago, toxo said:

Because "Parliament" (brackets because I don't recognise this bunch of self servers as a proper Parliament) passed a motion to take "no deal" off the table explicitly because there was no sign of a WA and the will of 17.4 people would have been enacted on the 29th March.

Maybe because 17.4 m people never voted for it. 

4 minutes ago, toxo said:

And it was a waste of air, because no deal is the default outcome no matter what parliament might want. They might imagine it, but they haven't taken anything off the table, which they'll find out soon enough if Macron gets his way. And it was the government that requested the extension, not parliament. Britain is a constitutional monarchy, and power  - including international treaty making and agreement  - is exercised by the government through crown prerogative. Parliament has no such powers.