Brexit - merged threads

scouser

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Let me know what goes on please; I no longer watch the news ( and I don't get a paper) as I can't even stand the sight of them anymore, let alone listen to them.

Just like you Scully, I'm very weary of the whole sodding lot.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I've no doubt we won't be leaving, we might leave the EU but we'll join a new club with virtually the same terms. 

I'm a bit more upbeat about it. 3 of the motions lost by 10-20 votes, but taking no deal off the table lost by over 100.

1 minute ago, arm3000gt said:

Nick Boles has quit the conservative party.

he has "crossed the floor".....and he should have taken ken clarkes hand........then let it go so he could carry on walking...........................

straight into the bloody Thames......whiskey swilling ....cigar smoking....lizard with brothel creepers...:mad:

11 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

Just had a google, he quit on Grantham on the 16th of March, guessing he's joined the rest waiting to be deselected? In the new party??

started typing deselected and my phone wants to put dead leg 😂😂😂 

I had a really interesting conversation towards the end of last week with a man who works for a company that imports and installs top end German kitchens. The real dogs whatsits of the kitchen world. They have about two or three full size truck loads a week from Germany.

He said Brexit will have no effect what so ever. To get through the ports the trucks have to have full customs declarations and paperwork now. But after Brexit there will be no change . in the forms and paperwork. 

After Brexit, no difference in paperwork, same documents, same procedure. Only difference is UK Govt may make an import charge but that's electronic, and invisible to the truck driver.

Apparantly, throughout our time in the EU trucks going in or out of Dover or wherever have never been exempt from paperwork so Brexit = no change whatso ever regarding paperwork.

All this talk of twenty mile queues at dover is just remainer babble    

SNP just said majority of Scottish MPs voted for revoking A50, peoples vote wanted and stay in the customs union.

the Scottish vote was 68 remain and 32 leave, but the final comment was  no deal would cost Scotland upto 100,000 jobs??

So nothing much is going to happen anytime soon, as usual 

47 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

Sad, a political lemming. He had a future if he hadn't been so opinionated as to think he could go against the views of his constituency.

Edited by Vince Green

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Like anybody actually has the evidence to support that?

Due to the lies spread about during this whole Brexit deal and what would happen I don't believe any doom and gloom, Propaganda at it's best :)

Edited by Snoozer

Just now, Vince Green said:

Like anybody actually has the evidence to support that?

Probably that many Europeans come over picking fruit every year but 100,000 jobs? Can't see it.

Houses in my area of Lancashire are selling fast, not what you would expect if things were meant to be the disaster that remain said would happen.

51 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

He's no conservative, he'd have been far more at home in Blair's Labour party.

Certainly no loss, and the Tories, if they're to survive, would do well to get rid of a few others of his ilk.

I see he's going to stay on as an 'independent progressive conservative' whatever the **** that might be!! I'm guessing he'll just continue to be a pain in the backside on the backbenches whilst still drawing his salary and claiming his expenses. His deselection can't come soon enough.

Watching news night and Ann Widdicombe has just come out with a belter, She's totally pro brexit said worst prime minister since Antony Eden, worst leader of the opposition in the entire history of the labour party and the worst parliament since Oliver Cromwell and with that combination were engaged in the most important international negotiations for 50 years!!

She's also saying people should get behind TM deal because its the best of a bad bunch at least putting us on the right line.

Ken clarke was 3 votes from winning on being tied to customs union☹ 

Come on Europe kick us out 😄 

12 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The ultimate disrespect toward the very people that bought them into the world , fed and clothed them, wiped their back ends and gave them that  high brow mentality they covet so much.

'Ill live longer than you, so my votes worth more than yours grandad '

Not if you keep talking like that sonny. 😃

Just coming back to this, I was brought up in the bygone era when children were supposed to be seen and not heard and taught to respect elders, so this notion of older peoples votes not being equal to younger generations does not sit comfortably with me, at all.

However, it's difficult to ignore the apparent fact that the age demographic of the people shown in the news coverage of the pro-Brexit protesters on Friday appeared, in general, to be towards the "older" end of the spectrum. I don't know if it's representative although the data I've seen published suggests people over 60 are more biased towards Leave than Remain.

If this is the case then does it not lead to the question of quite how much the older generation are being fair handed in suggesting we'll all take a hit in the short term but will be better in the long run if their financial futures are already secured (by this I mean drawing on a pension)?

On 30/03/2019 at 14:25, 12gauge82 said:

Its not about agreeing collectively, David Cameron, the official leave side along with countless others made perfectly clear that a vote to leave would mean leaving the customs Union, the single market, ending EU Court supremacy along with all the other core EU rules, the video is a compilation of the broken promises by politicians. 

This one

Very late on Wednesday evening JRM stated on the Peston show that he would vote with the DUP, I'm sure you know which way he voted on Friday...

Two wrongs don't make a right but we can't pick and choose which wrongs are right or we choose to ignore, or can we?

Edited by Raja Clavata
not sit

Just did a search on the origin of the phrase...

The phrase ‘Respect your elders’ is to be abandoned and will no longer feature in common usage after recent terrible decisions by elders have led to the world becoming demonstratively more appalling.

“I think that after voting for both Brexit and Trump, elders are no longer in a place to demand unconditional respect,” said Simon Williams, Head of the International Phrase and Idiom Council.

“Brexit and Trump are only the start, they are the most over-privileged generation in history, they inflated the housing market out of the reach of anyone who isn’t an oligarch, and they’re sat on a vast pension pot largely funded by younger generations.

Mr Williams suggests that ‘respecting your elders’ is applied on a case-by-case basis.

“Well, obviously, not all elders are undeserving of your respect,” he said.

“Your mum, for example, had to put up with an awful lot from you over the years and she still seems to love you, so I would suggest that she is still fully deserving of your unconditional respect.

“However, a red-faced angry old man shouting about things he doesn’t understand on a nationally televised politics show quite obviously is undeserving of anyone’s respect.

“So, play it by ear and we’ll see how it goes.”

Mr Williams is open to reintroducing ‘Respect your elders’ into common usage after a sustained period of elders not ballsing everything up.

However, the more likely outcome is that the phrase ‘Respect your elders who are aren’t massive *****,’ becomes adopted and popularised.

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Just coming back to this, I was brought up in the bygone era when children were supposed to be seen and not heard and taught to respect elders, so this notion of older peoples votes not being equal to younger generations does not sit comfortably with me, at all.

However, it's difficult to ignore the apparent fact that the age demographic of the people shown in the news coverage of the pro-Brexit protesters on Friday appeared, in general, to be towards the "older" end of the spectrum. I don't know if it's representative although the data I've seen published suggests people over 60 are more biased towards Leave than Remain.

If this is the case then does it not lead to the question of quite how much the older generation are being fair handed in suggesting we'll all take a hit in the short term but will be better in the long run if their financial futures are already secured (by this I mean drawing on a pension)?

Very late on Wednesday evening JRM stated on the Peston show that he would vote with the DUP, I'm sure you know which way he voted on Friday...

Two wrongs don't make a right but we can't pick and choose which wrongs are right or we choose to ignore, or can we?

I know where your coming from r.e the lies, the problem is, brexit has now become bigger than if we leave the EU or not, because if they refuse to deliver on the promises they made before the referendum, I.e we'd fully leave the EU and its rules, I believe the damage it will cause this country will be far worse and last longer than even the worst economic assessment of a "hard" brexit. I'm almost starting to wish the country had voted to stay, as I don't believe they'll let us leave and I think they've drastically under estimated the anger and long term fall out their betrayal will cause. I know we can both agree on this, the whole process has become a complete mess!

7 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

“However, a red-faced angry old man shouting about things he doesn’t understand on a nationally televised politics show quite obviously is undeserving of anyone’s respect.

Sounds like a fair description of Jeremy Corbyn. 😀

12 minutes ago, sportsbob said:
7 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Sounds like a fair description of Jeremy Corbyn. 😀

And Ken Clark

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Probably that many Europeans come over picking fruit every year but 100,000 jobs? Can't see it.

Don't forget hotels and restaurant staff, cleaning and the fact that they usually have more than one job, as many local people here won't do those jobs, particularly farming

8 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Just did a search on the origin of the phrase...

The phrase ‘Respect your elders’ is to be abandoned and will no longer feature in common usage after recent terrible decisions by elders have led to the world becoming demonstratively more appalling.

“I think that after voting for both Brexit and Trump, elders are no longer in a place to demand unconditional respect,” said Simon Williams, Head of the International Phrase and Idiom Council.

“Brexit and Trump are only the start, they are the most over-privileged generation in history, they inflated the housing market out of the reach of anyone who isn’t an oligarch, and they’re sat on a vast pension pot largely funded by younger generations.

Mr Williams suggests that ‘respecting your elders’ is applied on a case-by-case basis.

“Well, obviously, not all elders are undeserving of your respect,” he said.

“Your mum, for example, had to put up with an awful lot from you over the years and she still seems to love you, so I would suggest that she is still fully deserving of your unconditional respect.

“So, play it by ear and we’ll see how it goes.”

Mr Williams is open to reintroducing ‘Respect your elders’ into common usage after a sustained period of elders not ballsing everything up.

However, the more likely outcome is that the phrase ‘Respect your elders who are aren’t massive *****,’ becomes adopted and popularised.

It's actually one of the classic remain "arguments" if you like. To me it's just clutching at straws as to why they didn't get their own way. 

Fred Bloggs (70) has a voting card. Jayden Jones (20) has a voting card. Their votes are equally viable. They each count for one vote, regardless of how old they are. 

Remainers wouldn't dare shout out "Those blacks ruined the vote", "Those muslims messed it up for us", "Those women don't know what they're talking about", so why is it ok to bleat about "Those old people spoiled it for us."?

As no-one asked me or anyone I know how they voted, I don't know where they come up with the figures. I'm sure if all the data was available it might show a large number of blonde people voted remain whereas dark haired people voted leave, or vice-versa, People with big noses voted remain, people with big ears voted leave.

You can manipulate data till the cows come home, but it won't change the result, whether you like it or not.. (That's a general "you" not a personal one.)