Brexit - merged threads

scouser

Just seen a bit of last weeks countryfile, they were talking to a family of pig farmers this week about brexit, most of their produce goes to Europe and yet they all voted leave except the dad!! Even knowing it would and could affect the family business, Morgan was the name.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just read sunday mail proffessor tombs economist and what he has written is very good and actually states we are better off out of the EU.he tells of our economy and manufacturing declining further if we remain. On another note why can the idiots/MPs tell us exactly what we will look forward to by staying ie what new laws, regs.i doubt this will happen

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Just seen a bit of last weeks countryfile, they were talking to a family of pig farmers this week about brexit, most of their produce goes to Europe and yet they all voted leave except the dad!! Even knowing it would and could affect the family business, Morgan was the name.

And alot of danish pork comes here, so if they thought clever they'd chamge the model and provide the UK as the main income. That story was set up to make you think leave was a bad choice, they all voted but now worry etc.... Scare story set up by towniefile, ask clever questions to get the right answers.. 

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

But surely you must admit, it's not just that no deal was what most who voted leave expected to happen, its what the government promised if leave won the referendum? Its also a reason for stating the referendum was rigged, the government only held the vote because they believed it'd be a shore win, when they realised it was going to be close, they started making ridiculous false claims, overspending their campaign budget and now the final betrayal, they are refusing to deliver what they promised if they lost the referendum, which they did, this is why leave supporters are so angry and I would say rightly so. 

35 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

And alot of danish pork comes here, so if they thought clever they'd chamge the model and provide the UK as the main income. That story was set up to make you think leave was a bad choice, they all voted but now worry etc.... Scare story set up by towniefile, ask clever questions to get the right answers.. 

Didn't come across like that, they said they supply to the British market but its not a huge market because of what cuts of pork we eat, they are top end price wise because of the welfare standards they employ, the pigs looked great and very happy in great conditions.

one of the sisters said she has travelled all round the world looking at different ways of farming livestock and said usa was the worse by far.

Just now, Mice! said:

Didn't come across like that, they said they supply to the British market but its not a huge market because of what cuts of pork we eat, they are top end price wise because of the welfare standards they employ, the pigs looked great and very happy in great conditions.

one of the sisters said she has travelled all round the world looking at different ways of farming livestock and said usa was the worse by far.

Oh im not doubting the quality or the ethics, great conditions and farming. Just feel it was put across in a way that maybe it wasn't the right choice. Maybe just how i saw it.  

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Oh im not doubting the quality or the ethics, great conditions and farming. Just feel it was put across in a way that maybe it wasn't the right choice. Maybe just how i saw it.  

With you now, I took it as they don't know how things will go, some people will always go with cheaper food and vise versa, 

I thought it was interesting as they had voted leave despite probably getting grants and having a vested interest in the European market.

Who asked about how farmers voted a while back Raja? 

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:17, wymberley said:

Well, there's some good news amongst all the doom and gloom. With effect from the end of March our passports will carry no mention of the European Union with the exception of the usage of old stock. Better still, at the end of the year we'll have our dark blue version back - which some older folk might remember - I wonder if we will be able to exchange our current version for those even if it hasn't expired.

Perhaps people should be able to choose which colour they have depending on which way they voted in the referendum? You could have " Brexiter Blue" or "Remainer Red"  might save some  embarrassment when going through passport control abroad.

20 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

But surely you must admit, it's not just that no deal was what most who voted leave expected to happen, its what the government promised if leave won the referendum? Its also a reason for stating the referendum was rigged, the government only held the vote because they believed it'd be a shore win, when they realised it was going to be close, they started making ridiculous false claims, overspending their campaign budget and now the final betrayal, they are refusing to deliver what they promised if they lost the referendum, which they did, this is why leave supporters are so angry and I would say rightly so. 

Yes, it's what was promised. It was also effectively what both parties promised in their GE manifestos too.

Both sides made ridiculous false claims and as far as I'm aware over-spent on budgets.

Yes, leave supporters have a right to feel angry as do remain supporters who certainly did not vote for any of what has ensued over the last three years.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

With you now, I took it as they don't know how things will go, some people will always go with cheaper food and vise versa, 

I thought it was interesting as they had voted leave despite probably getting grants and having a vested interest in the European market.

Who asked about how farmers voted a while back Raja? 

I acknowledged that the majority of farmers voted leave, the only point I was trying to make was that it's regional just like the way the general public voted. Nothing presented here since suggests anything different.

9 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Yes, it's what was promised. It was also effectively what both parties promised in their GE manifestos too.

Both sides made ridiculous false claims and as far as I'm aware over-spent on budgets.

Yes, leave supporters have a right to feel angry as do remain supporters who certainly did not vote for any of what has ensued over the last three years.

I acknowledged that the majority of farmers voted leave, the only point I was trying to make was that it's regional just like the way the general public voted. Nothing presented here since suggests anything different.

Where is the evidence that The remain side over spent on it's budget?

Whilst remain supporters did not vote for the mess there will be many that expected it. I thought it would be a lot worse with the trade negotiations than this but we have not got that far yet. Friends in Trade Dept say that it will take years to agree agri trade rules. You might expect farming practices (particularly meat) to change wholesale to meet specific tarriffs. 

Where is the evidence that the majority of farmers voted leave? All of the farming (with the exception of fishing) representative bodies agree that out of the EU will be a worse outcome for the industry without heavy subsidy, but I guess they are allways going to say that. The farmers that I talk to seem more concerned about access to labour for general farm work where they have mostly polish employees. 

52 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

But surely you must admit, it's not just that no deal was what most who voted leave expected to happen, its what the government promised if leave won the referendum? 

Where is the evidence forr this? 

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

Where is the evidence that The remain side over spent on it's budget?

Whilst remain supporters did not vote for the mess there will be many that expected it. I thought it would be a lot worse with the trade negotiations than this but we have not got that far yet. Friends in Trade Dept say that it will take years to agree agri trade rules. You might expect farming practices (particularly meat) to change wholesale to meet specific tarriffs. 

Where is the evidence that the majority of farmers voted leave? All of the farming (with the exception of fishing) representative bodies agree that out of the EU will be a worse outcome for the industry without heavy subsidy, but I guess they are allways going to say that. The farmers that I talk to seem more concerned about access to labour for general farm work where they have mostly polish employees. 

Where is the evidence forr this? 

David Camoron is on video stating, a vote leave is a vote to leave the single market and the customs Union, along with many other broken promises. The pro remain leaflet that went out to every house hold cost something in the region of 9m, despite both sides only being allocated 7m each. 

The fact is, both sides told lies and I don't think its helpful to get into a debate over which side was worse. 

As Raja has said, we are where we are and a solution needs to be found, it really is a mess, I'm at the point I'd rather them either taking us out under wto, or simply being honest and admit they only held a referendum as they thought they'd win and it would put the subject to bed, state a hard brexit was never really an option and they knew the EU would never give us a free trade deal and for that reason, brexit is cancelled, while not being happy, I'd actually respect their honesty for that, rather than carry on as if the electorate is thick and tell them no one knew what they voted for and the continued back sliding, all this dithering is damaging the economy and its way too early to gauge the damage to our political system due to the complete loss of faith in government, it could literally last generations. 

53 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

David Camoron is on video stating, a vote leave is a vote to leave the single market and the customs Union, along with many other broken promises. The pro remain leaflet that went out to every house hold cost something in the region of 9m, despite both sides only being allocated 7m each. 

The fact is, both sides told lies and I don't think its helpful to get into a debate over which side was worse. 

As Raja has said, we are where we are and a solution needs to be found, it really is a mess, I'm at the point I'd rather them either taking us out under wto, or simply being honest and admit they only held a referendum as they thought they'd win and it would put the subject to bed, state a hard brexit was never really an option and they knew the EU would never give us a free trade deal and for that reason, brexit is cancelled, while not being happy, I'd actually respect their honesty for that, rather than carry on as if the electorate is thick and tell them no one knew what they voted for and the continued back sliding, all this dithering is damaging the economy and its way too early to gauge the damage to our political system due to the complete loss of faith in government, it could literally last generations. 

Agreed..   This keeps getting bandied about mostly by remainers,  ive never seen a GE yet when the politicians told the whole truth {what a joy that would be]  its always lies, guesses or stupid promises that dont have a chance of being upheld. no one knew or knows what will happen when/if  we leave. it would be nice if they admitted it 

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:25, islandgun said:

So who is this person/s that are going to set the issues on the table ?  name me one that doesnt have their own agenda or bias ,  or will we all agree the issues before hand  [shouldn't take long]  I find it absolutely mind blowing that  people think they can re-vote a result they dont like.................... democracy has died...

We do it every 5 years.

Why wait 5 years, every 3, 4 or 2, how about a general election every 6 months. 

Might improve their efforts at democratic thought? 

Brexit? They are ******* all over their own rules, your vote, and disgracing the house and name of parliament, honourable? 😂

I used to think American politics was funny, with its obvious corruption, we're now worse, they are doing it right in front of you, and they don't care. 

Let them get away with this and it will embolden them for next time.