Brexit - merged threads

scouser

48 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Apparently 22 thousand bikers turned up in London today, there are videos on Faceache but I haven't seen it on the TV.

44 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I saw a video on facebook that had no commentry about its content and assumed it was about Brexit:

But I think it might be have been about a squaddie getting a raw deal, and yet .Guv wonders why it cannot get enough recruits and blames an agency for not producing enough mugs volunteers to get nicked for following orders from superior officers - who get orders from politicians who should be the one's to blame.

Yes, the news was saying it was for a soldier being prosecuted.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

I'm sure someone will come along in a minute with an answer, so.... Why has Farage only created a Brexit party for Euro parliament and elections? Why not for mainstream U.K. Politics for parliament?

I would say because there isn't an election at the moment and they can really upset the EU parliament.

On 12/04/2019 at 10:38, JohnfromUK said:

Agreed.  I would be nervous about 'protesting with my vote' in a General election.  In European elections I shall vote to show my 'displeasure' - it is quite possible the new MEPs may never even take their seats.

A lefty Labour administration would wreak havoc on our economy and international relations and Diane Abbot and Corbyn are already saying silly things about refusing to extradite Julian Assange to the USA.  It isn't/shouldn't be a political decision - it is a matter for the due process of the courts.  We have extradition laws and treaties we have to follow.  For politicians to make silly 'anti USA interests' speeches will only do us no favours with the USA - with who we do (and need to continue to do) masses of trade.

Bad as I am sure he would be I don't think even Corbyn could match the Tories for incompetence. 

On 12/04/2019 at 11:00, Newbie to this said:

I will never vote Conservative or Labour again and told me MP such. I'm passed caring if Corbyn and his cronies get in. If he does it will be the ruin of this country but it will have been brought about by some remainers and their lack of respect for democracy, and it will be well deserved by them!

I know I'm only one vote but I know many who feel exactly the same.

🤣I have heard it all now . The quitters are blaming remain voters for the mess that they voted for 🤣 Give me strength! Have the courage of your convictions and accept that you knew what you were voting for 🤣

55 minutes ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

I'm sure someone will come along in a minute with an answer, so.... Why has Farage only created a Brexit party for Euro parliament and elections? Why not for mainstream U.K. Politics for parliament?

Snout in trough?

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have heard it all now . The quitters are blaming remain voters for the mess that they voted for 🤣 Give me strength! Have the courage of your convictions and accept that you knew what you were voting for 

Could you be anymore condescending, do you know what I voted for, it certainly wasn't for remainer MPs to try and overturn democracy. And what is with all the name calling? And where did I blame remain voters? 

On 12/04/2019 at 11:00, Newbie to this said:

I will never vote Conservative or Labour again and told me MP such. I'm passed caring if Corbyn and his cronies get in. If he does it will be the ruin of this country but it will have been brought about by some remainers and their lack of respect for democracy, and it will be well deserved by them!

I know I'm only one vote but I know many who feel exactly the same.

Would it be this bit? I have no clue what you voted for but vote for for chaos then do not be surprised when it arrives. Don't like the result? Then vote for something else. 

Edited by oowee

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

Bad as I am sure he would be I don't think even Corbyn could match the Tories for incompetence. 

That is a matter to be demonstrated .......... but his parties policies would be disastrous (if he proved sufficiently competent to carry them through).

His team, Abbott et al doesn't inspire confidence in any degree of competence.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That is a matter to be demonstrated .......... but his parties policies would be disastrous (if he proved sufficiently competent to carry them through).

Hopefully it won't ever be demonstrated! 

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

Would it be this bit? I have no clue what you voted for but vote for for chaos then do not be surprised when it arrives. Don't like the result? Then vote for something else. 

Yes and it quite clearly says some remainers not remain voters. If you read the post in context it is clearly talking about some remain politicians.

And I didn't vote for chaos, I voted to leave the EU, something the said remainers are trying to stop, the chaos as you say it, sits squarely with them.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am with you 100% but when you see those on the other side of the aisle I just weep. David Davis, Liam Fox Dianne Abbot all from the same box of frogs.

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes and it quite clearly says some remainers not remain voters. If you read the post in context it is clearly talking about some remain politicians.

And I didn't vote for chaos, I voted to leave the EU, something the said remainers are trying to stop, the chaos as you say it, sits squarely with them.

Yep. Its hard to accept ones own mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Hopefully it won't ever be demonstrated! 

I sincerely hope it won't.  I would almost vote for the devil himself rather than let them into power!

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

all from the same box of frogs.

I don't think so: You may not agree with Davis and Fox, but they have a considered view and can put it with consistent rational argument.  Abbott is simply incompetent and simply doesn't talk sense at all at (most) times.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

What mistake was that, trusting that politicians would uphold democracy. 

Not sure I know where they are not upholding it when they are mostly trying to do the job they were elected for. The problem comes from voting for a postulate statement. 

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I sincerely hope it won't.  I would almost vote for the devil himself rather than let them into power!

I don't think so: You may not agree with Davis and Fox, but they have a considered view and can put it with consistent rational argument.  Abbott is simply incompetent and simply doesn't talk sense at all at (most) times.

David Davis lacks the IQ of Dianne and Liam Fox mistakenly allowed personal and professional responsibilities to be blurred. 

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

We will have to disagree on Davis/Abbott.  As for Fox, I am in the dark about whatever you are alluding to.

Corruption during his role as Defence Minister, where he took his flat mate on foreign trade tours and meetings which resulted in his resignation. 

"I have also repeatedly said that the national interest must always come before personal interest.

"I now have to hold myself to my own standard. I have therefore decided, with great sadness, to resign from my post as secretary of state for defence."

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

Are you having a bad day? Did something else not go your way?

Great day so far. Just need to bag this fox up the road when I have finished my cup of tea and all will be well. 😉

Desperately hoping that Corbyn does not get in by default in the event that the Tories impload. 

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

He already has in many peoples opinion, many of them former supporters

Such as? I don't doubt he would be a monumental disaster but then so are the current shower. 

On 13/04/2019 at 20:58, oowee said:

David Davis lacks the IQ of Dianne

Do we have to do this again, DD was born into nothing, and elevated himself on his own merits to where he is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Davis_(British_politician)

The Abott can barely string a sentence together, has courted any controversy that will elevate her profile, and most importantly , made the beast with 2 backs with her commissar.

The information on IQs are more difficult to come by, but if we estimate DDs as around 110, the Abott will likely be low 40s.

On 13/04/2019 at 21:08, oowee said:

Corruption during his role as Defence Minister, where he took his flat mate on foreign trade tours and meetings which resulted in his resignation. 

Hardly the Profumo affair was it ?

On 13/04/2019 at 19:00, CZ550Kevlar said:

Simple! The electorate are happy to give the EU a kicking, and will vote fora Brexit Party, but when it comes to General Elections, they go all "tribal" and vote as they always did...............like dad did etc... Plus, the EU elections are coming very soon, but a General Election could be 3 years away!

6 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Do we have to do this again, DD was born into nothing, and elevated himself on his own merits to where he is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Davis_(British_politician)

The Abott can barely string a sentence together, has courted any controversy that will elevate her profile, and most importantly , made the beast with 2 backs with her commissar.

The information on IQs are more difficult to come by, but if we estimate DDs as around 110, the Abott will likely be low 40s.

Hardly the Profumo affair was it ?

How about all the Civil Servants who manage to  go on these jollies abroad?  Most of them have NEVER been in business, yet manage to get on Trade Missions............

EY-report-top-investment.jpg?resize=540%2C308&ssl=1

EY’s annual corporate deal-making report published today has revealed that the UK has become the top investment destination in the world for the first time in the report’s 10-year history. The UK overtook the United States, which has held the top spot since 2014…

The report notes that there have been a number of high-profile investments in Britain over the past year, including Comcast’s purchase of satellite broadcaster Sky for £30 billion and Coca-Cola’s takeover of Costa Coffee for £4 billion. The UK’s performance is at odds with the global slowdown, with the IMF last week cutting its global growth forecasts…

Global vice chair at EY Steve Krouskos said that Britain remains an “open environment for foreign investors”, reinforced by the English language, a skilled workforce, and a strong technology base. None of which will change with Brexit…

54 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

EY-report-top-investment.jpg?resize=540%2C308&ssl=1

EY’s annual corporate deal-making report published today has revealed that the UK has become the top investment destination in the world for the first time in the report’s 10-year history. The UK overtook the United States, which has held the top spot since 2014…

The report notes that there have been a number of high-profile investments in Britain over the past year, including Comcast’s purchase of satellite broadcaster Sky for £30 billion and Coca-Cola’s takeover of Costa Coffee for £4 billion. The UK’s performance is at odds with the global slowdown, with the IMF last week cutting its global growth forecasts…

Global vice chair at EY Steve Krouskos said that Britain remains an “open environment for foreign investors”, reinforced by the English language, a skilled workforce, and a strong technology base. None of which will change with Brexit…

Since when have purchases and takeovers counted as investment!? Fake news.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

One might assume you don't buy or invest in a dead duck in a failing economy? 

I don't prescribe to that necessarily, there is always money to be made but that's not the point here. This does not represent investment no matter what way anyone tries to spin it.

56 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Since when have purchases and takeovers counted as investment!? Fake news.

I admit that we always counted them. 😞  When the dollar was strong we used to sell UK companies to the States. 🙂 They are not sustainable as often trade is repatriated following a sale, but when you need the numbers they are handy.

I remember one specifically with Moulinex (French) that acquired a stainless electric kettle company in Birmingham (Swan). With the University of Birmingham we helped the UK company develop the first plastic kettle which was very popular to the point it displaced steel kettles. The french had never adopted the new manufacturing but decided to move the plastic kettle production to France keeping the French factory going and closing the Birmingham facility that had developed the kettle. 

At the moment the UK is attractive, as the market has not kept pace with growth elsewhere, the pound is cheap and companies are sitting on cash. I have sold UK stock but I am keeping some as potential take over targets. My current favorite is Severn Trent. It was a take over target for the Saudi's and then for a Canadian pension fund the price is tricky due to Corbyns threats to take utilities back into public ownership. 

Edited by oowee