Brexit - merged threads

scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tegermany-oh-no.jpg?resize=540%2C308&ssl=1The German Government has released an updated growth forecast for 2019, and it’s pretty damning. Forecast growth for 2019 has been slashed to 0.5%, less than a quarter of the 2.1% predicted a year ago and a level not seen since the height of the Eurozone crisis. It’s also less than half of the UK’s expected growth this year. While Remainer commentators drone on about the UK, the EU’s powerhouse economy is barely keeping its head above water…

Source  Guido Fawkes

4 hours ago, pinfireman said:

BREXIT PARTY TObrexit-yougov.png?resize=540%2C332&ssl=1 SMASH EURO ELECTIONS!

The funniest thing about this is that the poll was commissioned by 'The People's Vote' campaign... I expect they'll ask for the poll to be re-run :rolleyes:

Good to see the CUK's moving from 7% down to 6% in the polling too. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch!!

6 hours ago, pinfireman said:

BREXIT PARTY TObrexit-yougov.png?resize=540%2C332&ssl=1 SMASH EURO ELECTIONS!

Who'd have thought it Euro Elections, most of us thought it was a  undemocratic institution !!!!! last time they had elections 35% of Brit voters could be bothered to turn out and vote. At least Nige will be able to keep his snout in the trough for a bit longer and his smug ugly mug on the TV.

1 minute ago, tandytommo said:

Who'd have thought it Euro Elections, most of us thought it was a  undemocratic institution !!!!! last time they had elections 35% of Brit voters could be bothered to turn out and vote. At least Nige will be able to keep his snout in the trough for a bit longer and his smug ugly mug on the TV.

Don't you find it funny, that the electorate keep voting in people who promise to destroy the EU ?

That's what I call democracy 😂

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Don't you find it funny, that the electorate keep voting in people who promise to destroy the EU ?

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Don't seem to do so well at Uk General Elections do they? I guess you are a big advocate of Proportional Representation then?

1 hour ago, tandytommo said:

Don't seem to do so well at Uk General Elections do they? I guess you are a big advocate of Proportional Representation then?

Not really, but you have to wonder at a system where a party like UKIP get more votes than all the minor parties combined, and get 1 seat. 

But that's the system, would you like it if more seats were taken by parties like UKIP? 

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Not really, but you have to wonder at a system where a party like UKIP get more votes than all the minor parties combined, and get 1 seat. 

But that's the system, would you like it if more seats were taken by parties like UKIP? 

PR seems to work ok in other countries, politics seems a bit less tribal and the different parties seem to able to work together to get things done. The downside is that parties of the extreme left and extreme right do pick up the odd seat. I think I would be happier if we used PR even if it did mean we have a few more half witted , racist, fruit loops in parliament.

11 minutes ago, tandytommo said:

even if it did mean we have a few more half witted , racist, fruit loops in parliament.

More?  It is already full of the half witted (though only some are racist and fruit loops).

Seriously ........ PR would give far more minority governments ....... resulting in the need to pander to them to pass anything through parliament.  An example is Israel where extreme religious parties have to be accommodated.

The present governments big problem is that they can't get anything through parliament because they have no majority.  That would be more common under PR.  Clegg tried to get it here, but failed.

52 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

More?  It is already full of the half witted (though only some are racist and fruit loops).

Seriously ........ PR would give far more minority governments ....... resulting in the need to pander to them to pass anything through parliament.  An example is Israel where extreme religious parties have to be accommodated.

The present governments big problem is that they can't get anything through parliament because they have no majority.  That would be more common under PR.  Clegg tried to get it here, but failed.

No its the exact opposite. The Government is incapable of working with others because of our first past the post system. PR would on the face f it appear slower but it provides for more proportionate decision making rather than lurching left and then right. If the Tories had a strong majority and pushed through an agenda the next party would push it back again resulting in minimal progress. 

PR is the way to solve long term issues. The UK has not been able to pursue a consistent agenda on any topic area. 

17 hours ago, oowee said:

PR is the way to solve long term issues. The UK has not been able to pursue a consistent agenda on any topic area. 

Anybody who believes in PR is off with the fairies, It just produces endless stalemate, if that is what you mean by consistant they you are probably right, but its a bad idea all the same.

I agree the first past the post system is flawed but PR is more flawed 

Edited by Vince Green

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Anybody who believes in PR is off with the fairies, It just produces endless stalemate, if that is what you mean by consistant they you are probably right, but its a bad idea all the same.

I agree the first past the post system is flawed but PR is more flawed 

Give an example of PR endless stalemate. Is our first past the post system moving forward or in stalemate with Brexit? 

Why would more accurately reflecting the will of the people with PR in parliament be worse that fpp. Would it not result in better legislation and policy that had wider support from the people? 

9 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No surprises there; if you want anything Labour promises, don't vote Labour.  Even on employment (something one might expect to be a priority for the 'workers' party), "No Labour government has ever left office with unemployment lower than when it started, despite the name of the party."  (Source : The Times, 7th April 2014)

At present the Tories are only very slightly better on 'promises', but much better on employment, the economy, inflation. 

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

"No Labour government has ever left office with unemployment lower than when it started, despite the name of the party."  (Source : The Times, 7th April 2014)

The Labour party has to maintain a poor underclass because it is predominantly the underclass that votes Labour. Plus a few museli eating Guardian readers of course. If they ever solved poverty and dependency on handouts they would shoot themselves in the foot 

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Give an example of PR endless stalemate. 

Italy? Greece? Israel? how many more do you want?

On 17/04/2019 at 20:39, tandytommo said:

It is undemocratic, the Commission is unelected. 

5 hours ago, pinfireman said:

It is undemocratic, the Commission is unelected. 

That's 100% right. The European Parliament has no powers at all, it cannot make laws or influence policy. So we have to ask why does it exist? I suspect it creates the illusion that a democratic process is taking place when in reality it is just there to fool the public. Its a sham, a charade

If that is true it shows that a high level of conspiracy existed right back to day one when all of this was being set up. Why else would they create a European Parliament with no power? 

On 13/04/2019 at 19:55, oowee said:

Bad as I am sure he would be I don't think even Corbyn could match the Tories for incompetence. 

🤣I have heard it all now . The quitters are blaming remain voters for the mess that they voted for 🤣 Give me strength! Have the courage of your convictions and accept that you knew what you were voting for 🤣

Snout in trough?

Make up your mind! Did we or didn't we know what we were voting for.

I cant work out whether you are a troll or whether you are paid by the PW management to purposefully wind people up in the hope that more people will log on or comment on the post. Thus increasing the hit rates and the advertising fees!

You continually contradict yourself and when caught out and questioned on it completely avoid or ignore the post. Maybe you are employed by the EU.

2 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Make up your mind! Did we or didn't we know what we were voting for.

I cant work out whether you are a troll or whether you are paid by the PW management to purposefully wind people up in the hope that more people will log on or comment on the post. Thus increasing the hit rates and the advertising fees!

You continually contradict yourself and when caught out and questioned on it completely avoid or ignore the post. Maybe you are employed by the EU.

Brexiteers continually say they knew what they were voting for. So if that were true it follows that they knew the chaos that would ensue with 17m different versions of Brexit being voted for. My view has remained (no pun intended 🙂 ) the same, that as there was no definitive proposition of leave,  it was not possible to collectively vote for the same version of leave. So it was not possible to know what was voted for by the leave voters, hence the sarcasm in my post. 

You will appreciate , maybe, that it's not so easy to respond to the many posts on here. Many of those posts, like this one of yours with lots of accusations with little if any substance are often not worth the effort of responding to. I appreciate that many people will have an alternative view to mine and find it disappointing, that often they are not prepared to set out that view point and choose instead to try to ridicule. I ignore the posts that selectively and deliberately misinterpret an alternative view but will always try to respond to a post that has some view with a substantive argument.

I wonder if there is an opportunity to take a percentage of advertising revenue 😂 I suspect that 10% of not a lot is not very much. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Brexiteers continually say they knew what they were voting for. So if that were true it follows that they knew the chaos that would ensue with 17m different versions of Brexit being voted for. My view has remained (no pun intended 🙂 ) the same, that as there was no definitive proposition of leave,  it was not possible to collectively vote for the same version of leave. So it was not possible to know what was voted for by the leave voters, hence the sarcasm in my post. 

You will appreciate , maybe, that it's not so easy to respond to the many posts on here. Many of those posts, like this one of yours with lots of accusations with little if any substance are often not worth the effort of responding to. I appreciate that many people will have an alternative view to mine and find it disappointing, that often they are not prepared to set out that view point and choose instead to try to ridicule. I ignore the posts that selectively and deliberately misinterpret an alternative view but will always try to respond to a post that has some view with a substantive argument.

I wonder if there is an opportunity to take a percentage of advertising revenue 😂 I suspect that 10% of not a lot is not very much. 

Like the post where you said that JRM was "Far or extreme" right (cant remember exactly which you used?) I did quote, as did many others quote, your post when you tried to deny it, but you conveniently chose to ignore these posts and did not respond.

So in your view, hence your response, I have a substantive argument? Which part? You not being able to make your mind up, you being a Troll, working for PW, working for the EU or contradicting yourself?