Not "off topic"

ditchman

Thought i would stay away from "off topic" for a BIT..:lol:

a while ago there were a couple of threads running about outdoor paint .............the below pics is what i use...the pic of the shed (part of ) was done about 9 years ago.....the stuff is easy to use...it washes out with cold water and soap...and is the viscosity of sloppy plaster.....................

couldnt be bovvered to scrape the paintwork down so i used my power washer with the pulsing jet ,,,and that did the job...left it for 24hrs and stated to paint it..............

regards

ditch..(aka Barry Bucknell).........anyone remember him ??

weather protection 001tn_.JPG

weather protection 002tn_.JPG

weather protection 003tn_.JPG

weather protection 004tn_.JPG

weather protection 005tn_.JPG

weather protection 006tn_.JPG

weather protection 007tn_.JPG

weather protection 008tn_.JPG

weather protection 009tn_.JPG

hello, you have done a nice tidy job there Simon, and yes i can remember Barry B on his BBC diy show, they reckon on average 7 million watched, but got the name of Bodger Bucknel as he was always using hardboard and plywood being cheap to buy, and often the ruination of many homes with his style of DIY, him and his mate designed the mirror dinghy, i suppose now people watch Tommy Walsh, and many even buy tools he endorses in the £ shop, PS hope not to hot up there in Norfolk!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My Dad told me about Barry Bucknell!

hello, yes he started off by doing radio for the BBC on becoming a parent, the beeb thought he was so good they gave him his own show in 1956 About the Home like putting up shelves etc more so for the ladies, in the late   1950s he started a new show Barry Bucknells D I Y,  in 1962 he did another TV show  Bucknells House,  purchased for £2,250 in London he renovated in 39 weekly episodes, valued at £800,000 in 2008, then became known as bodger Bucknell as so many complaints regarding his way of altering lovely period properties. i think that was his last time on TV, sorry TT to hot to go shooting so just thought to say:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ph5172 said:

Is it a rubberised paint. By the look of it it goes on well and drys flat. I assume you brush apply

yes you are right its a UV stabilised latex finish...after half an hour its totally rain proof......you can scratch it with your fingernail and it will sort of stretch peel off......after a day it is stuck solid.........and apply with brush....its really nice to use..........

the truth is ....i can muddle thro on doing most things.............but my painting skills are -100%....im totally rubbish...i hate all the preparation.....but when you use this stuff it hides up and fills all the cracks and leaves an even finish....which goes some way in hiding up what a muppet i really am.......:lol:

Edited by ditchman

18 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My Dad told me about Barry Bucknell!

So did my Grandad !!

Remember BB programmes well. `bodger` being the word, but that was the thing at the time. Cover up original lovely old Victorian doors with hardboard :no:

I remember doing all the doors in my uncles 16th century farmhouse. It was 'The Fashion' back then.  If done right it did not actually ruin the doors because only panel pins should be used and they are easily filled if the hardboard is removed.  Unfortunately many people did not recognise what was beneath the board and so the doors went on the bonfire to be replaced with genuine hardboard faced doors in the 60s with a thin frame to support the board. 

I've an asbestos corrugated roof on my garage, what's the coverage like? Did you paint your roof or just the rainwater gutter and pipework? The 5th picture down looks like a wooden ship-lap? wall, did you paint that with the same stuff? It seems like magic paint!!?

10 hours ago, impala59 said:

I've an asbestos corrugated roof on my garage, what's the coverage like? Did you paint your roof or just the rainwater gutter and pipework? The 5th picture down looks like a wooden ship-lap? wall, did you paint that with the same stuff? It seems like magic paint!!?

i put that shed up with fresh sawn ship lap pine.........painted it with some sort of rubbish stuff which peeled off after 3 years...then put one coat on of that Thompsons stuff and that was about 9 years ago....and they recommend 2 coats..........on the can it says you can use it on knackered felt roofs....pour it on and sweep it over with a soft broom.........

give it a bloody good stir first...i use an electric drill with a curved bit of steel in the chuck...........

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i put that shed up with fresh sawn ship lap pine.........painted it with some sort of rubbish stuff which peeled off after 3 years...then put one coat on of that Thompsons stuff and that was about 9 years ago....and they recommend 2 coats..........on the can it says you can use it on knackered felt roofs....pour it on and sweep it over with a soft broom.........

give it a bloody good stir first...i use an electric drill with a curved bit of steel in the chuck...........

:lol:

Capture no smoking.PNG

47 minutes ago, john deere said:

I keep looking at the before pictures and it looks like the guttering is painted in realtree wetlands camo !

thats 50 years of different paint............the first paint the council put on was pee yellow....................

On 09/07/2018 at 12:06, lksopener said:

Can’t beat ruining a Victorian door with hardboard! 

Funnily enough one of my things to do fairly soon is to remove a hardboard sheet from one side of one of our old doors.  Should be fun to see what colour it is underneath.

24 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Funnily enough one of my things to do fairly soon is to remove a hardboard sheet from one side of one of our old doors.  Should be fun to see what colour it is underneath.

put your sunglasses on....post war they loved bright colours as it was coming off rationing....................