Decent Fence Paint - That’s not like water

ph5172

I have just finished paining 2 gates with what can be described as the most awful paint / treatment known to man! Wickes water repellent timber care 

it was like paining with actual  water, went everywhere and the brush (decent brand named) was dry after 1 stroke

anyone know of a decent coverage fence paint that is actually a paint!!

i have 20 panels and a bit of extra woodwork to do and with this stuff it will take forever!!

or is there a knack to it

Edited by ph5172

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

That's all I use on mine and a couple of customers. Lasts a few years and you can get a few different colours. Anywhere from £7-10 per 5ltr. If your changing colour of the existing panel it will only do about 4 6ftx6ft as you need 2 coats. Also depends how slap happy you are 

B&Q, Cuprinol one coat fence life, 12 ltrs 9.90 with my oap discount on a wednesday, had 5 new panels , 2 coats and you cannot see any difference between old and new,

diluted 10% then sprayed on with a Supatool £12 spray gun (PSG75)

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Garden shades by cuprinol is the best I’ve used.

Yeah, I didn’t want to say it, but I was very impressed with Garden Shades. Two coats, and the opacity was excellent, and the finish was jolly nice. Urban Slate was the colour as I recall.

Good stuff.

I’m using Ducksback (black) at the moment on a shed. It’s going on OK, but it was noticeably better on the rough dawn stuff than on the planed timber.

LS

I had a few buckets of the cuprinol (posted above) left over when we moved in, it was bright orange and not to my taste but it seemed to get good coverage on the existing fence. Got 2 x 5L in the shed free to a good home (one opened)

Existing fence with Cuprinol

Before.jpg

Avoid This Ronseal

I decided to paint the fence grey and all i can say is if painting over existing paint avoid this stuff like the plague its too watered down and required 2 to 3 coats to wash out paint beneath but still needed more or 2 coats on untreated wood just to get a decent finish. Not impressed and I think its now been rebranded so beware. Got 5-10L left of this that ill only be able to use on untreated wood if we make some planters etc.

ronseal.jpg

Wilko Winner for Me:

In the end i decided to get some wilko paint and it did a sterling job, very impressed. The fence that is seen in this picture was 1 coat over the existing fence paint. £15 for 5L but gets great coverage very thick stuff probably works out cheaper due to coverage.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-garden-colour-city-slate-5l/p/0429282

Finished_2.png
Finished_1.png

Edited by BritishShooting

The best paint I have ever used on planed timber has been Little Green Paint Company's 'Intelligent Exterior Eggshell'. Don't ask why it has been titled 'intelligent' because I don't know but it is a fantastic product albeit extremely expensive. The picture shows a shed I built using lapped boards and which I made and painted three years ago. It looks like new.

Painted_shed.jpg

4 hours ago, JDog said:

The best paint I have ever used on planed timber has been Little Green Paint Company's 'Intelligent Exterior Eggshell'. Don't ask why it has been titled 'intelligent' because I don't know but it is a fantastic product albeit extremely expensive. The picture shows a shed I built using lapped boards and which I made and painted three years ago. It looks like new.

Painted_shed.jpg

Blimey JD that looks great.

Why did you buy it in the first place? Was it recommended, or did you just like the look of it?

As I said, the stuff I’m using is going on the rough-sawn timber a treat, but is lifting a bit on the planed surfaces.

LS

21 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Blimey JD that looks great.

Why did you buy it in the first place? Was it recommended, or did you just like the look of it?

As I said, the stuff I’m using is going on the rough-sawn timber a treat, but is lifting a bit on the planed surfaces.

LS

I’m not sure how I heard about it but I wouldn’t use anything else now for planed external woodwork. Rough sawn timber may be another matter altogether.

The stuff cost something over £30 for a 1 litre tin. However I only used half a litre to do the whole shed and an internal door and another partition with just one coat being needed.