Range finder advice

Sciurus

On 09/07/2018 at 18:49, Sciurus said:

Thanks all, much food for thought and I think my problem might be a combination of some of the above factors, which I hadn’t thought of. In no particular order, my breathing isn’t great when taking a shot and needs practice. My air rifle is zeroed to 15 yds so shall increase it to perhaps 25 yd to give me abit of flexibility and use holdover for shots under 10yds. I have  6 feeders in 6 woods at various distances so shall take my tape measure and measure them all for future reference. I don’t think it’s buck fever, I was pretty excited when first using the gun but I’m pretty chilled now, sat comfortably listening to radio 4 and the last big miss I waited a couple of minutes for the grey to stop messing about and sit up properly. However, I do rest the barrel on the shooting sticks and definitely  hold it firmly down when shooting a grey- Eureka! Thinking about it, when practicingI sit in a chair and  gently rest the barrel on the sticks and often shoot one handed which is why I get good results at home. Mice, my gun has a band over the barrel and fore end, but obviously the barrel Is still flexing.

Thanks very much everybody, you have saved me a fortune and hopefully my kill rate will improve.

If you rest the barrel on your sticks it will send your shots off all the time.