Cutting Hazel Sticks.

redial

My grandfather used to say " Cut a stick when you see it, it may not be there when you return" and this related to many activities other than cutting sticks.  Yes, at present the sticks will have max sap, so will take just that bit longer to dry out, but we are only talking two or three months difference.   Make sure if you store them to dry they are laying flat fully supported or they wil set with a bend. I have a series of cross pieces screwed to my garage beams .. every 18 inches or so and I lay the hazels/ash/blackthorn etc.,  on these, supported the whole length.

Thanks,

They are on a fairly remote Welsh hill. I think it means a little more when you have the opportunity to cut a stick from a place you have fond memories of.

I may make a fuss of one and give it to a dresser, who may offer a few    ideas.

When i was making stick my pal said he would like to try having ago. He said how long do i have to leave them before i can start on one. I said  they say say about a inch a year hell he said these are 5 footers thats 60 years , na it the diameter you twit , i said lol.

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2018 at 22:28, Walker570 said:

My grandfather used to say " Cut a stick when you see it, it may not be there when you return" and this related to many activities other than cutting sticks.  Yes, at present the sticks will have max sap, so will take just that bit longer to dry out, but we are only talking two or three months difference.   Make sure if you store them to dry they are laying flat fully supported or they wil set with a bend. I have a series of cross pieces screwed to my garage beams .. every 18 inches or so and I lay the hazels/ash/blackthorn etc.,  on these, supported the whole length.

My late uncle used to make sticks, and those are very words he used when i asked him.:)

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Nice!!

Two years ago I wound some thick baling twine around two young hazels in my wood and checking them today they are beginning to make a mark. I think it may take another two to be ready for cutting.  Patience is a virtue in stick making.

that sounds like aplan ....i bet they turn out nice................many years ago in another place...there was an old boy who had a big hazel coppice who used to train i think honeysuckle around the young wands and leave them for god knows how long............they looked weird and nice when cured and oiled............

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that sounds like aplan ....i bet they turn out nice................many years ago in another place...there was an old boy who had a big hazel coppice who used to train i think honeysuckle around the young wands and leave them for god knows how long............they looked weird and nice when cured and oiled............

Its amazing what honeysuckle can do for hazel staffs.

Capture hazel.PNG

Capture hazel 1.PNG