Poor shots and guilt

At least it shows us we are all human. 

Me and a mate were lamping on foot on a permission some years back. He was shooting with his .222 and we spotted a fox around 100yds away. He took the shot and it went down. Walked up to it and it lifted its head and bared it’s teeth at us with a massive hole through out the back of its neck. Not nice at all and finished with a point blank. Unfortunately these things happen.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate everybodies replies. We live and we learn and I hope it will make me a better hunter ? it's great getting everybodies stories and while I still know I should NOT have taken that shot I do feel slightly reassured that it's not just me who has gone through this. I know it all sounds very dramatic ?

I actually think pigeons are the worst at making me feel guilty, when downed but not dead they have the perfect 'what did you do that for?' look...  Unfortunately its part of field sports, same as a foul hooked Salmon or similar, doesn't make you feel great

9 hours ago, Graham M said:

I'd be more worried if you didn't feel a little guilt over a badly shot animal. I always feel a little guilt even when it's a good shot; after all we have just taken a life.

Plus one. The older i get the less i like shooting animals of any kind....

Another controversial post by a first time poster.

Might be paranoid but how many shooters idea of humane dispatch is to beat a wounded animal to death when, if unsure what to do, surely a quick second shot would have been the simple answer.

Generally by the time a shooter gets onto a  HMR they've been shooting for a while and know what to do ???????

Edited by Robertt

Discharging a firearm at point blank range could be hazardous. It's an unpleasant but necessary procedure to dispatch quarry manually should they be wounded. Whether dashing their brains out with a log is less humane than removing them with a bullet is something you could debate endlessly but as long as the animal dies swiftly then that is ideal

1 hour ago, Robertt said:

I apologise I replied without reading the whole thread properly and have now untwisted my knickers.

But phases like ' beat it to death '  conjures up all sorts of ghastly pictures.

It wasn’t pretty but I could have chosen more delicate words. What do you call it when you kill a fish with a priest?

2 hours ago, spandit said:

It wasn’t pretty but I could have chosen more delicate words. What do you call it when you kill a fish with a priest?

Lumping, bashing, pummelling, clobbering or despatching. :good:

The only thing I would add is how often have you practised a 150 yard shot in a cross-wind? If you truly 'know' that shot then get over it. If not, you shouldn't have attempted it.

I and many others have occasionally messed up a shot ot two, had the feelings of guilt - and moved on.

Lesson learned: Hare's are bolder than bunnies and will stand their ground letting you get closer. You don't need to be shooting them above 100 yards. A closer shot is less likely to miss the kill zone and has better terminal velocity for a cleaner kill.

17 hours ago, Graham M said:

I'd be more worried if you didn't feel a little guilt over a badly shot animal. I always feel a little guilt even when it's a good shot; after all we have just taken a life.

Would you feel the same about pouring boiling water over an ant's nest? Just interested.

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

When I clatter a fast pigeon with full choke and see that gratifying explosion of ‘chaff’, I’m chuffed to bits. ?

Guilt doesn’t even get a look in. 

Me neither if their dead in the air, it’s when you go to pick up and they are looking at you I feel bad...  Oddly others don’t bother me so much...

11 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Two types of shooters 

those that have missed and liars. 

You would be amazed to see how many on this forum, especially the air gunners, claim to ‘never miss’.

16 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Two types of shooters 

those that have missed and liars. 

Three types... and those that don't feel the need to write about a shot with any rifle at the edge of its range that they make a mess of it!

What does he really expect anyone to say, sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut and learn from your mistakes!

Edited by Dekers

21 hours ago, Dekers said:

Three types... and those that don't feel the need to write about a shot with any rifle at the edge of its range that they make a mess of it!

What does he really expect anyone to say, sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut and learn from your mistakes!

Exactly.  A first ever post asking for more stories of misses and wounding.  Aye, right!