Insurance

Lloyd90

I recently got some insurance on a small motor bike just for a bit of fun really, 

as I have 4 years no claims on my car insurance they told me they’d give me a discount but need confirmation. 

Move spoken with my car insurance and asked for them to give me confirmation letter - they got very funny with me and told me I “can’t use my no claims bonus on more than one policy”... 

apparently as I have my car insurance policy active they’re claiming I can’t use it anywhere else ... 

does that sound right? Sounds a bit off to me... 

Lloyd, sorry not relevant to your problem, but I have two vehicles which I have built up no claims 12yrs on one and 14 on the other, Now if I make a claim on one I lose my no claims bonus on both. I think this is wrong as they make you build up a no claims bonus on separate policies so they should be kept separate when it comes to claims.

3 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Lloyd, sorry not relevant to your problem, but I have two vehicles which I have built up no claims 12yrs on one and 14 on the other, Now if I make a claim on one I lose my no claims bonus on both. I think this is wrong as they make you build up a no claims bonus on separate policies so they should be kept separate when it comes to claims.

You normally only loose two years NCB if you have one accident in 12 month period not the full amount.

Also you dont loose any NCB on you other policy but you do have to inform them you had an accident which may push your premium up slightly.

I had a company car for years and was told by the insurance company's  my driving record counted for nothing.

I found out the insurance company my firm used and they said they would give me 5 years no claims.

When I told the other insurance company's this they all said "if they will give you 5 years so will we"

NCD is only smoke and mirrors these days. There is a rate for the risk which is basically the premium they need for each driver and the highest rated cars you own. With restricted driving - open is very very rare - that is the risk and extra cars can be added for next to nothing. We are two mature drivers with good records and when we added a third (high performance car) we were charged £12 for the year. That vehicle was given "max NCD"! Protected too is just words - make a claim and your premium will increase. FYI I was an insurance underwriter for many years and know the games that are played. All I can say is be honest and shop around. 

3 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

NCD is only smoke and mirrors these days. There is a rate for the risk which is basically the premium they need for each driver and the highest rated cars you own. With restricted driving - open is very very rare - that is the risk and extra cars can be added for next to nothing. We are two mature drivers with good records and when we added a third (high performance car) we were charged £12 for the year. That vehicle was given "max NCD"! Protected too is just words - make a claim and your premium will increase. FYI I was an insurance underwriter for many years and know the games that are played. All I can say is be honest and shop around. 

I think you are right, look at the bottom line and if you like it pay, if not denied if you want to spend time searching around.  As long as the entity is UK authorised and rated capacity with FSCS back up, much of the rest is background noise.