Question for the ex pistol shooters

bluesj

Practising dry firing is mostly done to instil the prevention of 'flinch', and thereby preventing pre-anticipation of recoil. Much like dry firing a rifle. The idea is to concentrate on the target to the extent that the explosion of the shot is always meant to come as a surprise

The two most important skills to master in accurate pistol shooting, especially when talking about precision shooting, is sight alignment and trigger release. Poor trigger control is often masked by recoil, many shooters are completely unaware they are doing it. You only have to see someone shooting who has a misfire, ideally the pistol should stay in exactly the same place and just go click. To achieve this prefect release takes endless practice and the best practice is dry firing. Most good quality match air pistols have a DF mechanism where the trigger can be cocked and tripped without releasing the hammer spring. Two hours a day for a couple of month, aiming against a blank wall will help your trigger release no end.

10 minutes ago, 1066 said:

The two most important skills to master in accurate pistol shooting, especially when talking about precision shooting, is sight alignment and trigger release. Poor trigger control is often masked by recoil, many shooters are completely unaware they are doing it. You only have to see someone shooting who has a misfire, ideally the pistol should stay in exactly the same place and just go click. To achieve this prefect release takes endless practice and the best practice is dry firing. Most good quality match air pistols have a DF mechanism where the trigger can be cocked and tripped without releasing the hammer spring. Two hours a day for a couple of month, aiming against a blank wall will help your trigger release no end.

This. One of the lads in our club shot at National level and now and then his coach would visit our club. He once loaded my revolver for me and told me to carry on as normal. You should have seen the 'flinch' on that barrel when after the third shot I fired on an empty cartridge! Lesson learned. 

The quality of most of the pistol shooting I see now is very poor, a dying art you might say.  Yes, I know we can never go back, but I seldom see anyone try and shoot a pistol accurately. The only group who still strive for this sort of perfection are the dedicated 10m air pistol shooters. Anyone serious about improving their pistol shooting consider giving it a try, it's not easy.  

When I think of the quality of ordinary club shooters, shooting regularly in the NSRA leagues, one hand, open sights PL14 targets, regularly scoring into the 90's compared to the average pistol jockey today. Two hands, some sort of scope/dot and lucky to get them into the size of a saucer at 20 yards. ?

As has being said already, handguns are very difficult to shoot accuracy flinching can be a big issue one you can not see if you are shooting live ammo. If springs are a concern snap caps can be used. 

When I think of the quality of ordinary club shooters, shooting regularly in the NSRA leagues, one hand, open sights PL14 targets, regularly scoring into the 90's compared to the average pistol jockey today. Two hands, some sort of scope/dot and lucky to get them into the size of a saucer at 20 yards.

It depends on the type of shooting you are doing, taking your time is no use if you are shooting IPSC etc its more point and shoot quickly. 

Sorry didn't really explain very well. From what I can gather they seem to be on about just pulling the trigger repeatedly. one even demonstrated by just holding the pistol pointing up and pulling the trigger half a dozen times, I can't really see how that would help much

I can understand the need for trigger release practice 

7 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Sorry didn't really explain very well. From what I can gather they seem to be on about just pulling the trigger repeatedly. one even demonstrated by just holding the pistol pointing up and pulling the trigger half a dozen times, I can't really see how that would help much

I have no idea why anyone would do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another risk...especially on revolvers...was the hammer breaking from continually hitting the rear of the frame rather than being being arrested by the tip of the firing pin hitting the rear of the primed cartridge.

Like it can on a shotgun if you don't use snap caps.

On a pistol, such as the Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power it can't harm the gun as the hammer is designed to hit the rear of the frame anyway and propel the shorter that it should be firing pin forward.

This has to be so for the gun to be safe it is called an inertia firing pin. The hammer strikes it and it flies forward to hit the rear of the primed cartridge. So the firing pin is only say 3/4 the length that you'd think it ought to be.

The exact opposite of the old side by side hammer gun where lowering the hammer gently onto the striker made a direct contact of hammer nose touching top of striker touching rear of primed cartridge.

I hope the explanation helps?

On 09/07/2018 at 20:53, bluesj said:

Maybe its a yank thing!

American pistol shooting has a lot of focus on self defence shooting rather than point scoring. 

I saw a training video for some of their defence forces, they use to teach a ‘double tap’, apparently these days they train to keep firing into centre mass until their target goes down. 

If someone is potentially going to start firing back, it’s better to get 6 shots into a 6” circle Chest size target, then to get 1 or 2 within an inch or two of one another ... 

people would refuse to believe they flinch when firing................what we used to do when instructing ...or proving that they do ...was to load the revolver or auto for them and put in one dud round....then watch them on the dud round........:lol:

58 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I know I do it and it something I can’t control- been pistol shooting since 1984

Recenrly whilst shooting at my club I France I witnessed several ‘flinching’ moments , even from some top shots 

Dry firing's the answer - and loads of it. :)  Also 10m air pistol shooting.

Thing is, is it flinching or recoil anticipation in trying to tame muzzle flip?

Im not in the slightest bit nervous of a Pistol and yet it happens. Get through several thousand rounds a year and doesn’t happen if I use ‘snaps’ in them - go figure.

Am down there again in a couple of weeks but August is unfortunately the Clubs annual closing so no playtime for me unless I do a day membership elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Thing is, is it flinching or recoil anticipation in trying to tame muzzle flip?

Im not in the slightest bit nervous of a Pistol and yet it happens. Get through several thousand rounds a year and doesn’t happen if I use ‘snaps’ in them - go figure.

Am down there again in a couple of weeks but August is unfortunately the Clubs annual closing so no playtime for me unless I do a day membership elsewhere. 

Are you shooting full weight magnum loads or lightweight target loads? 

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

take a deep breath...start again with a .22 revolver........

Ok, I’ve held my breath for 6 mins- can I exhale now please ?

.22, had a lovely Kimber Custom 1911 in .22lr- looked great but the frame was made of cheeses unlike their ‘proper’ .45’s

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

Mate had a beautiful .32 S&W Long Manhurin which he swaged heads for. It was a delight to shoot bullseye with. 

Beautiful high quality revolver - chap I used to shoot with shot very well with it. I was using a .32 S&W Long Pardini at the time.

35 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Beautiful high quality revolver - chap I used to shoot with shot very well with it. I was using a .32 S&W Long Pardini at the time.

Very nice. The only one amongst us who shot at national level did so with a Hammerli self loader.

Some nice ones here to check out i like the one bellow, what would you pick. ? 

Buy and Sell Guns & Accessories Online- gundeal.co.uk

Description: Smith & Wesson target champion with Karl Nill grips, 6' barrel. Trigger professionally tuned - in immaculate condition - S&W pistol case etc
Category: .Pistol : Hand guns
Make: S&W Revolver
Model: 686
Certificate Required:

Yes
Orientation: Either
Calibre: 357/38
Mechanism: n/a
Price: £1000
Gun Condition: Excellent

p1ba26hlfd16t1p4p1k8d6a11ipg4.JPG