Plastic shot cups to be banned in Denmark

The Danes are pushing on with plans to get rid of plastic shot cups! This will be interesting, it says that it’s only a tiny market 2% of the European market of cartridge sales, however Gamebore hold the largest part of this market with their “Hyper Steel” product! It will be interesting if they take their new cheap Bismuth loads to Denmark to secure this market! 

Here is the article 

https://www.jaegerforbundet.dk/om-dj/dj-medier/nyhedsarkiv/2018/slut-med-haglskale-i-plast/

Google translated to the below

Plastic waste does not belong in nature. Not only because it is a visual contamination, but also because plastic over time decomposes into ever smaller pieces and slowly forms part of nature's circuits.

When the plastic is broken into pieces of less than five millimeters, it gets the term microplastic. The researchers still do not know much about the processes, but the fact is that the plastic appears in places where it should not exist - in the stomachs of fish and birds, like large floating islands of waste on the ocean and even in the drinking water.

It is therefore a global problem, and the government and the parliament are working on a new plastic policy, which will ensure better control of society's use of plastic. Plastic pollution has many sources, and the Danish Weapons Trade Association and Denmark Hunters Association will like to help solve the problems with the plastic in nature for which hunters are responsible.

Chief Executive Officer and Political Responsible for Environment in Denmark's Hunters Association, Marie-Louise Achton-Lyng, says:

"The problem with plastic in nature is huge and we must all contribute solutions to each of our fields.For us hunters, it is a matter of controlling the plastic that our hail cartridges leave behind.Therefore, we must hunters become even better to collect our cartridge caps, and then some new hail cartridges with biodegradable shells will be developed. There are already some cartridges on the market, but more options are needed, and in this process we must ensure that both safety and environmental standards can be maintained at all levels, says Marie-Louise Achton-Lyng.

The hake bowls must be biodegradable

The hedgehog and shotgun hunting cartridges consist of two pieces of plastic - a cartridge case and a plastic charge for the hail.

The cartridge caps can be collected after the hunt and taken home. It is different with the hail dishes, which are pushed together with the hails.Haglskålen therefore landes many meters from the shooter and is virtually impossible to find and bring home.

Should this problem be solved, it requires a hail that can be left in nature and on the shooting range - without feeling a pollution constitutes a pollution problem. Thus, a biodegradable hail bowl.

Therefore, the boards of Danish Hunters Association and the Danish Weapons Trade Association whose members import a large proportion of the hail cartridges used in Denmark have made a joint decision to phase out the plastic barrels in the Haglununition:

- Hunting and shooting should not leave plastic in either nature or shooting. Therefore, our members have already initiated a process with our hail suppliers and asked them to develop new cartridge types with decomposable hazelnuts. I am convinced that in a short period of time we can have alternatives to the current patron types, only with biodegradable shells. But we need to have some years to run, so manufacturers have time to develop and, above all, try out the new cartridge types. The plaster must be out of the hail dishes, but the safety for people and the wildlife must and must be in place, says Nils Juul Larsen, chairman of the board of the Danish Weapons Trade Association.

"Denmark was the first country in the world to choose a complete phasing out of lead in haglamunition, and with the prospect of a complete phasing out of plastic-based hailers, Denmark will again show responsibility and lead the way in development. In this context, however, we must remember that Denmark is a small country, and the Danish consumption of haglamunition accounts for only about two percent of the European market, "concludes Nils Juul Larsen.

Both he and Marie-Louise Achton-Lyng will attend a meeting of the Ministry of the Environment and Food Administration to discuss the possibilities for phasing out the plastic charges. Among other things, it is necessary to discuss what environmental requirements the new cartridge types need to yield to be biodegradable, but also how long the industry needs to develop the new cartridges.

Support from Minister

Environment and Food Minister Esben Lunde Larsen looks forward to hearing more about Denmark's Hunters Federation and the Danish Weapons Trade Association's decision to phase out the plastic from the hail cartridges:

"I have great respect for identifying the challenges you have as an industry or interest group, and that you also point out the necessary solutions. There is no doubt that plastic in nature is a problem we need to do. And we need all forces to pull in the same direction. Therefore, I look forward to hearing how the hunters and the arms industry will definitely phase out the plastic in the haglununition, so the plastic does not end in our nature, says Environment and Food Minister Esben Lunde Larsen.

2 hours ago, stevo said:

Do the ones made from recycled  Diet Coke cans retain energy at distance better than than normal coke cans or are thay the same ? 

Needs to be full fat coke to work... ideally containing coke like the olden days..

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Well i know different I've cleanly killed Canada Greylag Pinkfooted Geese and Mallard Widgeon Teal with them out to 35-40yrd. 

Still prefer Bismuth

Guest cookoff013
2 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

I often wondered why plastic wads were rarely made in a highly visible colour, making it easier to  recover some of them, especially from clay grounds etc...

cos that would be sensible.

last time i went fowling i ended up picking up a carrier bag full of wads, before even getting ready. they were everywhere.

24 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

last time i went fowling i ended up picking up a carrier bag full of wads, before even getting ready. they were everywhere.

Back in the 70.s, when money was tight, I used to collect used Remington Power Piston wads from the local clay ground. Popped them into an old pillow case, tied it up, dropped it into the washing machine (wife out shopping!), cool wash. Then into tumble dryer for just 5 minutes. They came out looking  really clean, and had  regained their original length!  And our pigeon numbers did not drop! Those were the days!?

8 hours ago, pinfireman said:

Back in the 70.s, when money was tight, I used to collect used Remington Power Piston wads from the local clay ground. Popped them into an old pillow case, tied it up, dropped it into the washing machine (wife out shopping!), cool wash. Then into tumble dryer for just 5 minutes. They came out looking  really clean, and had  regained their original length!  And our pigeon numbers did not drop! Those were the days!?

Enjoyed reading that anecdote  Cheers These days we are way too affluent for such common sense frugality. . 

On 11/07/2018 at 10:06, cookoff013 said:

too right; it seems logic is no longer fashionable these days....

Cook....where did you go fowling? probably the best or dirtiest place on hearth ?  i normally come back from the marsh with 4-5 shells and a couple of wads at best ... and most are mine ?

I do find more when i go to the pond; but that's cause i mostly shoot it at night so...not much chance of recoverying any i shot (before everyone has a go: i do collect any i shot during summer when the pond dries)