halfords car service rip off

hi all, booked my land rover descovery2 in with halfords[Arnold branch]for oil and [filters]change at a cost of 80quid,got home and started cleaning engine bay and seen that they only changed one filter,so went back to them ask why theres only one been done[got told that its other 48quid to fit the second one?so ive got **** oil going around my engine from the old filter what can I do 

Would never go to them for anything! 

What were you thinking? 

Check what the paperwork etc says ... make an official complaint to head office and ask for your money back!

take the car elsewhere... even if they offered to do the work I wouldn’t want them to! 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Would never go to them for anything! 

What were you thinking? 

Check what the paperwork etc says ... make an official complaint to head office and ask for your money back!

take the car elsewhere... even if they offered to do the work I wouldn’t want them to! 

phoned head office[complaint]they just said they will look into it,so ill see what happens[just a fob off]

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Get on the phone to Halfords customer service first thing in the morning demand a refund get down your local motor factors & do the job yourself it’s not rocket science.

at the moment mate my back has gone to get under the 4x4

2 minutes ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

phoned head office[complaint]they just said they will look into it,so ill see what happens[just a fob off]

Start posting it online, Facebook, Twitter, their review sites etc if they try and fob you off ... 

Decent oil for your car is around £40 + £10 for the filters so £50 parts if you did her yourself - with Halfords buying power they would get the Oil cheaper so they could have made around £30 on the job. Did they stamp your service book? - if so then the service schedule would indicate that both Filters should be changed and by stamping your book they are on thin ice. p.s. quick look on various forums seems to suggest that the centrifugal filter has no specific service interval but "usually" gets changed at least once every 2 normal filter changes. I don't think it works like a paper element so should not release contaminated oil into your system.

Edited by bruno22rf

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Decent oil for your car is around £40 + £10 for the filters so £50 parts if you did her yourself - with Halfords buying power they would get the Oil cheaper so they could have made around £30 on the job. Did they stamp your service book? - if so then the service schedule would indicate that both Filters should be changed and by stamping your book they are on thin ice. p.s. quick look on various forums seems to suggest that the centrifugal filter has no specific service interval but "usually" gets changed at least once every 2 normal filter changes. I don't think it works like a paper element so should not release contaminated oil into your system.

thanks for the info mate,dont know much about cars but but they changed the one with the dome cover?the one next to the mannerfold they lelf?when you ask for a oil and filter change I thought that's what ill be getting,so now to get the job done from 80quid is now 130quid,

1 hour ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

thanks for the info mate,dont know much about cars but but they changed the one with the dome cover?the one next to the mannerfold they lelf?when you ask for a oil and filter change I thought that's what ill be getting,so now to get the job done from 80quid is now 130quid,

Did you know it had two filters, does the quote say (filters) or did you at least ask if the price included both filters ? 

I also have a Disco 2 Td5.

The oil filter with the "dome" cover that sits on top by the manifold is the centrifugal filter, you can get away with changing this every couple of years, as it just spins at high rpm and catches any bits in the oil like a centrifuge.

The other filter below the manifold on the side of the engine is a standard spin off disposable filter, and this must be replaced at every oil change as it's a full flow type.

I would say, if they didn't explicitly state that they were going to change the centrifugal canister they could possibly get away with it, if they haven't changed the standard cartridge filter, no excuses... you should get a full refund because that's the filter that def needs changing at every oil change just like any other car.

Edited by matgriff

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

Did you know it had two filters, does the quote say (filters) or did you at least ask if the price included both filters ? 

ive just brought the td5 mate and did not know there was two filters,i ask for a oil and filter change/

57 minutes ago, matgriff said:

I also have a Disco 2 Td5.

The oil filter with the "dome" cover that sits on top by the manifold is the centrifugal filter, you can get away with changing this every couple of years, as it just spins at high rpm and catches any bits in the oil like a centrifuge.

The other filter below the manifold on the side of the engine is a standard spin off disposable filter, and this must be replaced at every oil change as it's a full flow type.

I would say, if they didn't explicitly state that they were going to change the centrifugal canister they could possibly get away with it, if they haven't changed the standard cartridge filter, no excuses... you should get a full refund because that's the filter that def needs changing at every oil change just like any other car.

thanks mate can I change that myself without changing the oil again

Yes, you can change the centrifugal filter without draining the oil off. You have to remove a couple of bits of breather pipe and stuff to get access. The filter is under the domed cover, and the filter kit comes with the rubber O ring that seals the lid/cover.

Takes about 15-20 mins and there shouldn't be any mess.

Your earlier post seemed to suggest that they had changed the centrifugal filter ... ie the one with the domed cover ???

If so, then the cartridge one on the side of the engine needs to be changed, and that means the oil needs to be drained down again.. Halfords should have changed that one at least, if they haven't take it back and demand a refund or the job done correctly.

BTW the centrifugal filter kit and seal costs £5.50 inc shipping from Bearmach on ebay, and the cartridge filter is about £4 from Euro Car Parts

Mat

ive just brought the td5 mate and did not know there was two filters,i ask for a oil and filter change/

thanks mate can I change that myself without changing the oil again

just had a phone call from halfords head office,they have told me to take the td5 back and they will change oil/filters and clean oil FREE,then ill never go to them AGAIN

You might want to find a good independent garage who know's a bit about Land Rovers..... they can be troublesome at times ?

I've had my Disco 2 Td5 face-lift for ages now, and It's great for hauling stuff around and rough driving, but I've had to fix a load of problems over the years.. 99% of which I've done myself though.

Good thing is that support is very good, and they all suffer the same "common" faults, so loads of advice on owners forums.

Mat 

just had a phone call from halfords head office,they have told me to take the td5 back and they will change oil/filters and clean oil FREE,then ill never go to them AGAIN

Seems very fair.

I have never used them to do any work for me, but I buy loads of stuff there and have never had any issues despite the slagging off they get online.

The tools they do these days are really decent quality and backed up with decent guarantee, I like them.

2 hours ago, matgriff said:

You might want to find a good independent garage who know's a bit about Land Rovers..... they can be troublesome at times ?

I've had my Disco 2 Td5 face-lift for ages now, and It's great for hauling stuff around and rough driving, but I've had to fix a load of problems over the years.. 99% of which I've done myself though.

Good thing is that support is very good, and they all suffer the same "common" faults, so loads of advice on owners forums.

Mat 

cheers mate

1 hour ago, Dunkield said:

Seems very fair.

I have never used them to do any work for me, but I buy loads of stuff there and have never had any issues despite the slagging off they get online.

The tools they do these days are really decent quality and backed up with decent guarantee, I like them.

cheers mate

For £80.00 i would of just expected the normal filter to be done unless they explicitly mentioned the other one. I cant really see what you are complaining about especially now they have offered to do the additional filter and replace all the oil for free. If you went somewhere else in the first instance you would be paying more than £80.00 for both filters to be done so you are getting a bargain imo.

2 hours ago, matgriff said:

Mat 

cheers mat,only had the 2004 td5 for afew weeks and been down cornwall towing with no problems,its only got 87000 on clock that's why I changed the oil/filter