Late 1800's Postman's pocket dog scarer pistol advice.

jam1e

Hi folks,

I've found what appears to be a late 1800's blank firing Postmans dog scarer pistol. It's for sale at a small antique shop. It uses what looks like shotgun primers to function. And crikey it was loud! It looks a lovely little antique and is going for cheapish.

I'm trying to find out what i need to look for, to be sure it's original. Can anybody help me with what to look for, and what it's value should be??

He has fired it in front of me and all works fine. Albeit, I wouldn't risk firing the shotgun primers he used. I cocked it, and held the hammer back pulling the trigger and gently relieving the pressure on the trigger. I really like it. And want to buy it. But knowing nothing about it, i also don't want to be ripped off....

I'll try and upload a picture, and would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice if possible....

Looks almost identical to this one, but it's in better condition.

Cheers.

postmans pocket scarer pistol.jpg

Edited by jam1e

3 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Look like a Belgian jobbie. Obsolete calibre I hope? No great value but of you like it - buy it!

I had one years back I seem to remember" Flame " exited top of chamber, barrel was not bored through  "   £50- £60 tops

The barrel has not been drilled through, it's only ever been (from my observations) a "primer firing gun" to scare off dogs. He states it was made in the late 1800's in Germany. It's only a little dinky single shot thing. The end of the barrel looks original from what i can see, and the muzzle end is concave. He states it was used to scare off dogs, and some women carried them to scare off would be rapists. It's one of those, if you like it buy it affairs i believe. It's only just under a £100. I've tried researching them, but there's very little info out there. It may come down to what he wants for it. I'm not taking too much of a risk buying it. And with most of the public thinking guns are the work of "Demons", I doubt he's had too much interest anyhow....

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, N T A auctions had one in their April 2018 sale at £80, unless its the one in photo, ? although the auction one looks in better condition, i would say £60/80 from my research 

Cheers oldypigeonpopper.

I'll have a chat with him today and maybe get a picture or 2 today and upload them.

J.

picture of postmans gun 1.jpg

picture of postmans gun 2.jpg

picture of postmans gun 3.jpg

Edited by jam1e
pictures

9 hours ago, jam1e said:

Cheers oldypigeonpopper.

I'll have a chat with him today and maybe get a picture or 2 today and upload them.

J.

picture of postmans gun 1.jpg

picture of postmans gun 2.jpg

picture of postmans gun 3.jpg

Well I've got the pictures uploaded folks. He wants £100. But he admitted he is flexible on that price. 

Not sure what the number 24 is stamped on the gun, but he uses shotgun primers to set it off. Would the 24 be an indication of the size of primer needed??

I'm after some sound guidance if possible please. Could you give me an idea of what i should pay for it, now you have seen the gun in the pictures?? Going by the condition, which looks better in person than in the pictures, would you say £80 is too high??

Some sound knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

58 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Nice fingernails? Maximum of £30. £100 is way too much.

Yea that's the old trout giving a hand. I can't see him accepting £30. But you never know.....

Can anyone out there shed a little more light on the history??

Cheers