vets and teeth

oowee

Just back from the vets with Charlie (two year old cocker) and apart from remarks about making sure he does not loose anymore weight (down from 20kg to 17kg in the heat and he has been working hard) they want me to have a go at cleaning his teeth. He has plenty of stuff to chew on but still some build up that the recommend removing. Any suggestions on how best to do this would be welcome before i get out the tooth brush. 

Not bones but plenty of antler. When i give him a bone tendency is to bury it somewhere and dig it up when it's rancid. The antler is chewed but i will admit it's not something that he is that interested in. 

I tried the denta sticks but he just eat them and they did not appear to do anything. 

As bones make ours **** Olympic style we use a combination of Plaqueoff on food and a sea jerky twist from fish4dogs daily, denta sticks are both absolutely useless and not particularly good for the pooch.  The combination seems to work for us and the jerky is good for the dog as a bonus.

We have same problem with 4yr old cocker, she isnt interested in bones so after much research we are trying this product. Early days only a week in but we can see an improvement already so i remain optimistic. We have been brushing it on but in next few days we will use as intended

Tropiclean gel

http://tropiclean.com/product/fresh-breath-clean-teeth-gel-pets/

Available from amazon

Edited by ips

6 hours ago, ips said:

We have same problem with 4yr old cocker, she isnt interested in bones so after much research we are trying this product. Early days only a week in but we can see an improvement already so i remain optimistic. We have been brushing it on but in next few days we will use as intended

Tropiclean gel

http://tropiclean.com/product/fresh-breath-clean-teeth-gel-pets/

Available from amazon

+1 and available from Fetch too amongst others

Tried Plaqueoff powder initially but seemed to upset our all dogs digestive systems

Another successful product had grapefruit seed oil in it and it worked well but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called

I got a warning about tooth fractures with antlers from my vet.

However Tropiclean as suggested by ips is the stuff.............I prefer the gel.  They do drops to go in the water bowl but I don't like mucking about with their water.

Edited by LeadWasp

I have the same problem with my 3 WCS, and I use the chicken flavoured enzyme dog toothpaste. And then use my thumb nail to remove the harder looking stuff a long the gum line,  and have great success with this method. And also the odd raw bone as well.

On 10/07/2018 at 19:42, Dave at kelton said:

Never cleaned the dogs teeth in forty years, just give them a good big beef knuckle bone which does it.

Same... well, not quite 40... yet.

Bones, young dogs sometimes can't figure them out immediately but stick them in a cage or dog box with a bone and it doesn't take long...

Bones are the best thing for dogs teeth, got a 2 year old Lab and a 9 year old Beagle and both dogs teeth are bright white.

Lamb ribs, turkey necks, duck and chicken feet for pups, then a bit older they get knuckle bones once a week. Be careful of weight bearing bones though as they can crack teeth, however the teeth on my dogs are fine.