oops

Reloading .223. Neck sizing die leaves the bullet loose in the case till the application of the crimp. Is this ok?

Using the full length resizer bullet is tighter to seat. Not sure why?

Cartridge case stuck in full length resizer (plenty of lube) unscrewed it to pull it out and it has unscrewed the deprimer pin which wont now screw back in. It's not damaged but it looks like the top adjuster (whatever that does) crimps onto the threaded holder. I guess i have to take the top apart screw in the pin then lock back the top fitting?

Mmmm, stuck  case syndrome. Rather frustrating i know, but it's all down to "you've done something wrong" I'm afraid. 

Never crimped a bullet so can't comment on the 1st paragraph.

But with regards to the stuck case. 

Has it happened previously when using the same dies/brass/lube and press? 

Has the die been set up correctly? 

The centre threaded bar alters the amount of neck you resize, but that's over complicating things realy just full length resize the whole case including all the neck. If the de-capping pin can be removed by pulling it out with a pair of plyers then do that. If it has a top hat like hornady (sounds like it not though) then you will need to unscrew the bar from the die and try and get the pin clear of the primer before you drill and tap the case to get it out (do you have a stuck case remover?) Petty your not closer it would be out in 2 minutes. 

Don't try and knock out the case using a hammer. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Mmmm, stuck  case syndrome. Rather frustrating i know, but it's all down to "you've done something wrong" I'm afraid. 

Never crimped a bullet so can't comment on the 1st paragraph.

But with regards to the stuck case. 

Has it happened previously when using the same dies/brass/lube and press? 

Has the die been set up correctly? 

The centre threaded bar alters the amount of neck you resize, but that's over complicating things realy just full length resize the whole case including all the neck. If the de-capping pin can be removed by pulling it out with a pair of plyers then do that. If it has a top hat like hornady (sounds like it not though) then you will need to unscrew the bar from the die and try and get the pin clear of the primer before you drill and tap the case to get it out (do you have a stuck case remover?) Petty your not closer it would be out in 2 minutes. 

Don't try and knock out the case using a hammer. 

I am new to this its all new kit and not happened before. It was set up for me by an experienced reloader. I am not sure what the top adjustments on the sizing dies do or what i should be doing with them. The neck sizer has a simple nut covering a top hat which can be removed with the pin. The FL sizer has a screw in de-prImer but it screws into something which is then gripped by a cone bolt of some sort? I need to look at this.

I took the die out of the press and as the case moved a little in the die i gripped it with pliers and turned it a few times till it came out. It was tight on the de-capping pin which unscrewed out of the die. I was then able to take the cartridge off the pin. I am unable to screw the decapping pin back in as it looks like the top part of the die somehow grips it at some point. I am taking it over to Edd on friday to look at it. It's not damaged.

What is a stuck case remover? I was surprised it stuck as there was plenty of lube on it. It does look as though its going too far into the case,

Yep tried that but the ram is just being stopped by the die. My mate has suggested that it maybe just the brass (PPU) but i cant see that makes a difference. Unless its not long enough. The length cutter does not touch it but it's there or there about's, so that would show the length is correct. Its like the inner cone is set too high. I cant screw the top in anymore so don't see a way to put more tension on it. 

Edited by oowee

With these they work by a collet/collar system.

Set die to touch shellholder and then In by another full turn.

Now when the ram makes contact with the underside of the die it should offer a bit of resistance, but then move about 5mm more as this is the collar working correctly. 

Might be worth unscrewing it to the component parts and make sure All is free moving 

Edited by Jaymo
Must have been on the pop as it contained even more spelling errors than normal

I think I may have sussed it. When the neck die was installed (i think)  it was dropped to the ram and then backed off rather than wound down a turn and a half. In which case it would not resize with the pass. When i subsequently wound it down i was just pushing the case up into the die but without full pressure, hence it would not press the neck. I cant try it again as i have no spare brass but out on Friday and if the foxes are playing ball will have some to try at the weekend. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think I may have sussed it. When the neck die was installed (i think)  it was dropped to the ram and then backed off rather than wound down a turn and a half. In which case it would not resize with the pass. When i subsequently wound it down i was just pushing the case up into the die but without full pressure, hence it would not press the neck. I cant try it again as i have no spare brass but out on Friday and if the foxes are playing ball will have some to try at the weekend. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

I did say to wind it in a little further, but you said you had already done that................

Ah well Hope it gets sorted.;)