New DIY project tomorrow

la bala

She has got her new boots on. Starting tomorrow its going to get a bit manual. New set of parabolic springs being delivered to replace the tired old blue box ones fitted a couple of years ago. I put the tape measure on today, front offside 40mm lower than front nearside.

thumbnail_IMG_0796 tyres.jpg

The new parabolics came today, not to impressed with colour so they will get a coat of black. Will give a brief account how I do it, others may do it different. The springs are made in this country so hopefully will last longer than the tat I am taking off.

thumbnail_IMG_0798 springs.jpg

Right lets get on, but firstly just have a little think about your safety. I think most of us in our younger days have had vehicles balanced on bricks and scissor jacks. Imagine your poor wife coming out to the workshop and seeing you with a ton of motor on you, just give a little thought before you start.  Okay this is how I do it, I jack the back of the truck as high as i can without stretching the rear flexi brake pipes. Oh by the way I have taken the wheel off:lol:. I place good heavy duty axle stands under the chassis just forward of the front of the springs. I then place a small trolley under the brake drum, just enough to take the weight of the axle. Number one job, remove the split pin from bottom of shock absorber and swing shocker out of the way. Next loosen off the nuts and bolts from the spring hangers and mountings, also all the nuts on the u/bolts. This is an easy job as you soaked them all in penetrating oil several days ago, what you didnt, well best you get a big bar.

thumbnail_IMG_0800 springs1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0801 springs2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0802 springs 3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0803springs4.jpg

12 minutes ago, amateur said:

Now you know that you really wanted them in fluorescent pink

Thats enough of that, On Your Bike.:lol:

Where was we, oh yes. Remove the u/bolts and bin, you should have new ones with your springs, if you dont want to bin them just hoard them like i do. I now just release the trolley jack slightly, this allows the spring to just drop slightly and the u/bolt mounting plate to drop away. Next I hold the front of the spring, remove the bolt and lower it to the floor. Lastly hold the back of the spring and lower it to the floor. When you fit the new spring do it all in reverse sequence, jobs a goodun.

I did have a couple of setbacks, the rear chassis bushes need replacing, I thought I had some in the stores, I had but they were for the front. Also needed rubber bushes for shock absorbers but have only enough for one side.

thumbnail_IMG_0804springs5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0805springs6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0808 springs7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0809 springs8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0810springs9.jpg