Different source of components?

Hi again guys I'm after more advice from you helpful lot.

i asked this question before but came away not being 100% on the out come.

if I was to buy some 20gauge wads then buy some super cheap 12 bore cartridges I think I can get for £4.50 a box could I dismantle them and use the shot, powder and primers to load some 20 subs providing I Find out what type of powder it is from the manufacturer and use the right amount of shot/powder?? 

any he'll would be appreciated 

I'm assuming a 20gauge would take less powder so might even be able to turn 25 12 bore cartridges into more than 25 20bore cartridge?

6 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

The previous advice you were given was that the only components you could reclaim from breaking down 12 bore cartridges was the shot. For your own safety this was sound advise, what more are you hoping to hear to make you 100% sure.

Well, he could quite easily reclaim the powder and primers, too. It would be perfectly safe, provided the correct testing had been done. For me though, it would be more hassle than it's worth.

The hassle would be fine for me, I a bit strange in the fact that I quite enjoy little jobs like that. Obviously anything to do with explosives I'm going to be very careful of as I don't fancy blowing my face off hahah. 

Jjsdad

what would be your concern if you were going to do this yourself? Thanks a lot for all the help guys

darren

1 hour ago, motty said:

Well, he could quite easily reclaim the powder and primers, too. It would be perfectly safe, provided the correct testing had been done. For me though, it would be more hassle than it's worth.

What testing are you talking about?

cheers 

Guest cookoff013

You are absolutely bonkers, for thinking that. Do not attempt this. Do not encourage anyone else to do this. 

Posts like this really pmeoff.

18 minutes ago, Dazv said:

The hassle would be fine for me, I a bit strange in the fact that I quite enjoy little jobs like that. Obviously anything to do with explosives I'm going to be very careful of as I don't fancy blowing my face off hahah. 

Jjsdad

what would be your concern if you were going to do this yourself? Thanks a lot for all the help guys

darren

cheers 

I am talking about knocking up a load and then sending it off for proof testing. Without going down this route, I would not consider it. Some reloading experience would be beneficial, as then you could possibly work out a reasonable starting point. As you are already aware, far less powder would be required.

11 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

You are absolutely bonkers, for thinking that. Do not attempt this. Do not encourage anyone else to do this. 

Posts like this really pmeoff.

Not really sure where you are coming from. You are always talking about trying "weird" loads. How is this any different?

11 minutes ago, Dazv said:

In the light you have asked this question it is evident you are a total novice to re-loading. Buy a book on the subject and have a serious read before attempting to  re-load cartridges, particularly with re-claimed components. In response to your query, I have no concerns; because I wouldnt even contemplate what you are proposing. However, you may care to consider how you are going to remove a live primer from the cartridge case you are pulling apart, and how you are going to test the resulting 20 bore cartridge for velocity and pressure.

14 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

In the light you have asked this question it is evident you are a total novice to re-loading. Buy a book on the subject and have a serious read before attempting to  re-load cartridges, particularly with re-claimed components. In response to your query, I have no concerns; because I wouldnt even contemplate what you are proposing. However, you may care to consider how you are going to remove a live primer from the cartridge case you are pulling apart, and how you are going to test the resulting 20 bore cartridge for velocity and pressure.

Live primers are easily extracted with a press. He can test at a proof house.

I was planning on contacting lyavale and finding out what powder they put in the cartridges I was planning to use and find a recipe to suit. I know it's a vectan powder but unsure what type. 

I have a chronograph so can test speed but pressure could be the only issue. If I know what the components are I can't see the difference in loading some shells from dismantled cartridges over buying the same components and loading them that way?? 

I would be keen to hear the difference as I want to learn as much as I can and like I said I don't fancy blowing my face off 

thanks again guys

3 minutes ago, motty said:

Live primers are easily extracted with a press. He can test at a proof house.

I know this. You know this. Hence I suggested he consider how it could be done.

But by the time he has bought a press and submitted samples for testing any percieved savings will quickly have disappeared.

1 minute ago, JJsDad said:

I know this. You know this. Hence I suggested he consider how it could be done.

But by the time he has bought a press and submitted samples for testing any percieved savings will quickly have disappeared.

I agree. I certainly wouldn't bother.

Guest cookoff013

Monty, i dont use unknown components. Thats the difference. What shells is he going to break and what will they be made into? Millions  combinations there

While it is possible given the powder is appropriate its not practical any savings you made would be slight or probably non existent, and one huge problem is powder ID much of the time powders look so similar its hard or impossible to know what they are.

A  visual  inspection is simply no guarantee only testing will show if it is indeed X powder or not and the hustle expense involved render it impractical. it is technically possible to work up loads safe loads with zero idea what a powder is but  its only practical to do this if you have a fair few kilos stripping guessing an ID and working up a subsonic 20 from cheap 12s i think i a bad idea for multiple reasons just buy suitable powder etc get the job done proper. 

9 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

While it is possible given the powder is appropriate its not practical any savings you made would be slight or probably non existent, and one huge problem is powder ID much of the time powders look so similar its hard or impossible to know what they are.

A  visual  inspection is simply no guarantee only testing will show if it is indeed X powder or not and the hustle expense involved render it impractical. it is technically possible to work up loads safe loads with zero idea what a powder is but  its only practical to do this if you have a fair few kilos stripping guessing an ID and working up a subsonic 20 from cheap 12s i think i a bad idea for multiple reasons just buy suitable powder etc get the job done proper. 

Maybe you're right I should just buy the materials to do it properly. The only thing that puts me off is the upfront costs of it. I'll try to find out what the smallest quantities they do is 

Guest cookoff013

you`ll be able to reload without a reloader. with powder measure scoops, shot scoops, you`d need to find some way of closing the shell, and find data that supports that crimp closure.

but, you`d need a scale. powder virgin components such as hulls with the right primer.....

I've got a lee loadall ready to be used. I guess at least I don't need to buy that tool. I saw on clay and game they do a fast burning powder nearly half the price of the rest. I'm going to have a look and see if I can find some data including that powder! Thanks for the reply