What cartridge will you be using for this pheasant season?

I went in to Moles to see if they had any decently priced 32g 5s for the upcoming pheasant season (like to be prepared early :cool1:) and ended up coming away with a slab of Gamebore supergame high bird. When I got home I decided to download the Justcartridge price list (below). After filtering and sorting by velocity, I see that the slab I've bought is the slowest available :oops:... according to JC anyway - the difference in speed between that and the fastest is only about 10% so hardly night and day. But got me thinking, what's everyone shooting this season?

carts.JPG.5e275f1b875d8d4bd01cfbbeadf0d4d4.JPG

Cheers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Proper cartridges Stone Dead 5s Fibre and Lyalvale Supreme Game 5s Fibre.

makes no difference to my shooting really as long as the gun goes bang and something comes out of the end, much like sex really. 

Much like sex, the bird might see it differently ?

Super Game High Bird.

Not sure what's going on this year, but if I do carry on I'll also use these. Adding on (what is a very generous) 10% velocity gives both less than 20 ft/sec and less than 0.1 ft lb of energy increase at 55 yards which as you say is neither here nor there. However, even with fibre, if (appreciate it's a biggy) these or the 30g pattern anywhere close to the 28g and with a correspondingly low recoil as those do in my guns, then theres absolutely nothing not to like.

2 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Hull High Pheasant Extreme 1 1/8 oz 5 and RC Red Shot 1 1/8 oz 5 Fibre. The RC Red Shot are an amazing cartridge.

Amazing as in tight patterns at range or just a good quality even spread? I've been looking to try them but a guest hasn't turned up using any yet for me to cadge some!

WR.

18 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

They seem to be very tight patterning at long range, the RC Hyperfast 1 1/4 oz works the same. They perform like a plastic wad.

I might try the 30gm 6's when I get the chance. My days vary from very high stuff to local farm shoot type birds so its hard to find a do it all load.

Superniks will no doubt contain very hard shot. Incidentally, The pellet count in a 30/6 hpf is the same as a 30/6 Professional Game which would suggest the shot is no harder in them. Just the velocity has been ramped up.

Its surprising what you can cleanly kill with the Professional Game.

WR.

Guest stevo

Game shooters hahahaha , every year same old **** . 

98% of you couldn’t hit a barn door if you were stood in front of it ! 

I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

??????

6 minutes ago, stevo said:

I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

??????

Stevo, I have every excuse because I’m a bit thick, but I can never work out whether you are a master of irony or just conceited. Perhaps you could elucidate.

Guest stevo

Jdog, it’s pure fishing mate , there is always some will take the bait . ( there was a smiley face ) 

Me and you need a day out at some point and you see for yourself . 

To be fare though I’m stil waiting to meet a top game shot in real life . I’ve read all the legends . And shot with and against a few of them and there not much to write home about . 

Its the old wildflowers that will teach us mortals a thing or to  let me tell you . 

20 minutes ago, JDog said:

Stevo, I have every excuse because I’m a bit thick, but I can never work out whether you are a master of irony or just conceited. Perhaps you could elucidate.

No hes just bored . 

5 minutes ago, stevo said:

Its the old wildflowers that will teach us mortals a thing or to  let me tell you . 

True BUD! 

Edited by lancer425

46 minutes ago, stevo said:

??????

Hmm 9 and a bit to1 

do shoots sell days that small for a team of 12 Guns that would work out at 7 birds each at £250 a gun 

Are you suttley after a free day on the pheasants ?????

all the best 

of 

for the op 

eley lmpax paper cased 6 

and 

rc paper white 5 later in the season 

Guest stevo

In all my old days game shooting , I learnt more about shooting Tall birds from old foulers  than any game shooter could ever teach me . 

These old boys have a skill set most of us can only dream about . And my advice to any aspiring game shooter is find yourself an old or experienced wild fouler . These lads will tell you everything you will ever need to know about tall birds , what a game shooter call tall , they call a normal day . 

You have to remember these boys are there to get results, there upto their waist in cold mud and water for hrs on end sometimes, they also eat what there shooting ( most of the time ) so there not interested in missing . And the ones I have had the privilege of annoying for a few hours have little time for excuses, ifs or buts ! 

RC Professional Game in various weights, and a heavier RC for January pheasant. I think it's Prestige. Mostly because I overbought last season but also because RCs aren't thumpy. 

I like to take an old PW hand out with me as a loader. Loader's code for "coach", right? 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Either Black Gold 32g 5’s or Clear Pigeon 30g 6’s ... don’t tell the pheasants they might be shot with a pigeon cartridge... 

It’ll never work, pheasant cartridges don’t kill pigeons or rabbits either, you need specific cartridges and chokes, maybe even a different gun, glasses, headphones etc...

4 hours ago, stevo said:

??????

I would love to have enough money to shoot game regularly. Sadly I have to watch below average shots missing average pheasants left, right and centre when I am beating. Worse, the picking up team have a job trying to find the wounded. I honestly can't believe how badly the guns perform at times.

I would love to buy a day for some mates to see how they perform.