What cartridge will you be using for this pheasant season?

4 hours ago, stevo said:

Game shooters hahahaha , every year same old **** . 

98% of you couldn’t hit a barn door if you were stood in front of it ! 

I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

??????

Just like the clay shooter I watch regularly who can’t hit the clays as 

its the wrong colour

got the wrong lenses 

wind blew them off line

ref didn’t see that chip

its a Thursday 

it’s ..............

when they mean their rubbish shots. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest stevo
21 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Just like the clay shooter I watch regularly who can’t hit the clays as 

its the wrong colour

got the wrong lenses 

wind blew them off line

ref didn’t see that chip

its a Thursday 

it’s ..............

when they mean their rubbish shots. 

I couldn’t agree more. There are ONLY ever two out comes when you pull that trigger ...... hit or mis .

nowt else matters . 

I have seen some great game shooters in action and some poor ones.

I would say the poor ones are the ones who dont do much practice and only turn out for occasional driven shoots.

The very good ones are doing woodys throughout the year and when there's no pigeon about they're hammering the high tower or the one's lucky enough to a attend a phenomenal amount of shoots August onwards.

I will be using 29g Express Pigeon Power and 30g Express Supreme Game this season, probably no better or worse than any other cartridge but I  did very well with them last year and I have extreme confidence in them.

Edited by Robertt

I am only an average shot at best and rarely shoot driven game but I believe the Gamebore super game that the op has bought will be plenty good enough. I have got lucky on the odd occasion in the past and killed some high stuff with those shells.

Any pheasants I shoot nowadays are on small walked up farm type shoots and I find 1oz of no 7 does the job fine.

30 gram 6 for pheasants. It a fad about larger and larger shot size a chap I know insisted on 34 gram 5 or 4 for roosting pigeons. I shot just as many with a fibre 28g 7.5. 

I'm only shooting good average height birds. I've also shot the odd corker with 6 shot. It's done many shooters for many years. so has the pheasant suddenly been bred with armour plating. 

6 hours ago, Robertt said:

Don't quite get that one.

Why not use 32g 5's from the outset ?

30 is comfier through the sxs....plus our syndicate birds are not that high, later in season i shoot a few paid days and beaters day so birds are higher for those shoots

Edited by ips

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:15, stevo said:

Game shooters hahahaha , every year same old **** . 

98% of you couldn’t hit a barn door if you were stood in front of it ! 

I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

??????

My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it. :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

30 or 32 grm 6,s

Edited by jasper682

36 minutes ago, jasper682 said:

My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it. :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

30 or 32 grm 6,s

I've seen the reverse of this, a bloke who said he shot well on clays could never do well on the pheasants, really did beat himself up over it.

2 hours ago, jasper682 said:

My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it.

30 or 32 grm 6,s

I know what you're saying, but shooting clays is different to live stuff. I have seen many a good shot that struggles with clays.

9 hours ago, Robertt said:

Thats some story Jasper.........is it true ?

A little tongue in cheek.  But yes there are people out there that 

1.Think  wounding an 80 yard pheasant is in someway good.

2.Cant hit a barn door on 35 yard clays.

3.Post it all over Facebook. Then you see there average on average clays. Is less than 60%. 

Sorry guys . If you can shoot , you can shoot regardless of the quarry. 

Jasper.

2 hours ago, jasper682 said:

A little tongue in cheek.  But yes there are people out there that 

1.Think  wounding an 80 yard pheasant is in someway good.

2.Cant hit a barn door on 35 yard clays.

3.Post it all over Facebook. Then you see there average on average clays. Is less than 60%. 

Sorry guys . If you can shoot , you can shoot regardless of the quarry. 

Jasper.

Clays do not behave in any way similar to a bird. Clays are thrown at certain angles (also different sizes used) to deceive the shooter. This is what can catch the "occasional" clay shot out, who is otherwise a very good live bird shooter.