What cartridge will you be using for this pheasant season?

On 11/07/2018 at 11:39, AdamSouthEast said:

I went in to Moles to see if they had any decently priced 32g 5s for the upcoming pheasant season (like to be prepared early ) and ended up coming away with a slab of Gamebore supergame high bird. When I got home I decided to download the Justcartridge price list (below). After filtering and sorting by velocity, I see that the slab I've bought is the slowest available ... according to JC anyway - the difference in speed between that and the fastest is only about 10% so hardly night and day. But got me thinking, what's everyone shooting this season?

carts.JPG.5e275f1b875d8d4bd01cfbbeadf0d4d4.JPG

Cheers.

A sign of the times?

Sadly, yes.

There's 50 cartridge types listed. There are but 2 English 7s available. Some options from the makers listed are not shown, but if you include those the number is then 12. However, this is only because one maker offers 8 of them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're all in this together and I don't see what can be achieved by havng a go at game shooters, clay shooters or any other type of shooter.

We don't need cowboys in shooting and they should be reported to the persons in charge and robust action taken.

Going back to the question of cartridges........

The best game shot I saw last season was when I was beating.

He was selecting the very highest of birds ( No 80 yarders ! ) and really knew what he was doing.

Spoke to him at half time and he was using 34g Hull Extreme Pheasant 5's in an O/U.

Poor form compairing clays to Game 

ther two totally different shooting sports 

the clay is always slowing up from the moment it leaves the trap 

your average pheasant is usually speeding up a or turning gaining height 

personally think far to many mediocre birds are shot with too heavy a load I try to remember that we are trying to get a saleable item for the table

the only time I change from my 1oz impax is for a couple of high bird days that the team take each year 

all the best 

of 

8 hours ago, motty said:

Clays do not behave in any way similar to a bird. Clays are thrown at certain angles (also different sizes used) to deceive the shooter. This is what can catch the "occasional" clay shot out, who is otherwise a very good live bird shooter.

Agree 100%. Cant possibly say a good shot will hit everything clay or game etc. 

They’re all different in how they’re presented for a start, and clays are thrown at angles you’ll never see a pigeon or pheasant flying like. 

It’s very possible to be a very competent shot at one discipline but not another in my experience! 

I believe my carton of cartridges used for game shooting consists of 28g 7.5s up to 32g 5s. Don't really pay too much attention which ones I put into the cartridge bag for the day as I pick the birds to shoot at that I know won't get 'plucked in the air' or least likely to get wounded. I've been lucky enough to shoot fenbirds for a number of years now, lean and fast flying they've certainly helped me for when I've been invited to shoots which put a lot of reared birds down.

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

A sign of the times?

Sadly, yes.

There's 50 cartridge types listed. There are but 2 English 7s available. Some options from the makers listed are not shown, but if you include those the number is then 12. However, this is only because one maker offers 8 of them.

Wymberley you mention this a lot about English 7’s and the lack of availability, why don’t you approach one of the manufacturers for a custom order, I’d imagine they will do a run for 10,000. 

2 hours ago, motty said:

They would bowl a fox over.

Anything will if you’re close enough and in the right place 

however 

driven pheasant shooting even small informal ones usually have a NO ground game /shooting policey 

theres no need for a fox load on a pheasant shooting day 

All the best 

of 

9 hours ago, AYA117 said:

At what range  10 yards. Only a person with no regard for his quarry would shoot a fox with this load. You sir are beyond the pale with such a remark.

Sorry sir i think you better tested it on a patern plate at 10yards its just a bullet...i have shot foxes with 28 gr steel nr 5 at 30 meter 

25 minutes ago, Kraai said:

Sorry sir i think you better tested it on a patern plate at 10yards its just a bullet...i have shot foxes with 28 gr steel nr 5 at 30 meter 

Don't waste your breath. This bloke also believes that lead 7.5 shot will only kill pigeons out to 20 yards. I think he should get out and actually do some shooting.

On 13/07/2018 at 22:03, lksopener said:

Wymberley you mention this a lot about English 7’s and the lack of availability, why don’t you approach one of the manufacturers for a custom order, I’d imagine they will do a run for 10,000. 

Good point. The only problem is at the current shooting rate and my age, there's half a chance that there'll be a quantity approaching that number left over. However, no need as I'm now sorted with sufficient to see me out - excluding the unlikely possibility of the local pigeon pop[ulation exploding as I've packed in the game which was walked up. What I can't understand is what's happened to the grouse, partridge, pigeon, etc etc that used to be of a certain size that 7s did the job nicely - not to mention early season pheasant. What are they now feeding/ being fed on?

But from your post, it does seem that I'm the only one that appreciates the advantages - particularly pattern density - that 7s offer so as I'm now sorted I'll stay shtum.

On 13/07/2018 at 10:11, wymberley said:

A sign of the times?

Sadly, yes.

I've filtered to only show rows containing a "5" - there's plenty of 7 available

On 15/07/2018 at 12:07, wymberley said:

Good point. The only problem is at the current shooting rate and my age, there's half a chance that there'll be a quantity approaching that number left over. However, no need as I'm now sorted with sufficient to see me out - excluding the unlikely possibility of the local pigeon pop[ulation exploding as I've packed in the game which was walked up. What I can't understand is what's happened to the grouse, partridge, pigeon, etc etc that used to be of a certain size that 7s did the job nicely - not to mention early season pheasant. What are they now feeding/ being fed on?

But from your post, it does seem that I'm the only one that appreciates the advantages - particularly pattern density - that 7s offer so as I'm now sorted I'll stay shtum.

I've used Hull HP in 30gm 7 for a number of years, they've been discontinued, I've always prefered a more open choke and pattern density,