how to approach shooting these fields?

daithi

hi everyone i will be shooting these two fields on saturday which is 38 acres

the farmer has cut around the head lands and cut a few strips through the field as the pigeons were eating the laid barley so he said he would harvest it..

the pigeons seem to be coming from a few different direction some dropping in and some flying on to other areas..

a barbed wire fence runs through the centre of the fields and provides some basic cover..

we will add some bracnhes and have a net..we are thinking of setting up there in the middle of the field.. as the field runs off down a hill to where a small forest is..

some idiot of a poacher who left two decoys behind with his name wrote on them had set up in front of the forest on sunday in the low ground and shot a nice bag of pigeons and crows and left them where they fell,,i had a nice time yesterday evening picking up his maggot infested birds.. anyway the farmer isnt to happy .. passed on his name so hopefully the farmer follows through 

would setting up in the middle of the field(marked with black circle)  be the best option as its higher and we would have a better chance of passing birds seeing us.. or is the forest the best option (marked on picture)in the low ground.. havent done that much pigeon decoying but have got a nice bit of gear together over the last while ie a magnet 20 shell decoys 2 bouncers and a diy flapper

36963958_2022504717762309_63804136160378

37021308_2022340124445435_56584113728541

37039742_2022339477778833_23594225887923

Edited by daithi

let's hope that idiot  is sent packing, the centre of the field look's o k wind direction , sun your face best flight line you can intercept , adjust accordingly try it out you will soon see what is best for you . good luck , other comment's will follow of other's we will put you right , one way or another.

1 hour ago, kenholland said:

let's hope that idiot  is sent packing, the centre of the field look's o k wind direction , sun your face best flight line you can intercept , adjust accordingly try it out you will soon see what is best for you . good luck , other comment's will follow of other's we will put you right , one way or another.

thanks.. wind has been none existent here lately with the hot weather.. hopefully it picks up for the weekend.. will follow those other tips yu gave also cheers 

9 minutes ago, daithi said:

whys that.. some fella shoots his land that has no permission,, and then leaves dead birds and empty casings there.. 

I believe that you missed PPP's dirty joke.

Yes I hope that you track down the culprit and that the farmer deals with him accordingly.

30 minutes ago, daithi said:

thanks.. wind has been none existent here lately with the hot weather.. hopefully it picks up for the weekend.. will follow those other tips yu gave also cheers 

No-one here can tell you the best place to set up. You may have picked the best spot, however. Reconnaissance and luck will both play a part.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't shoot pigeons with no wind. I have shot many big bags on windless, stiflingly hot days.

6 hours ago, motty said:

No-one here can tell you the best place to set up. You may have picked the best spot, however. Reconnaissance and luck will both play a part.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't shoot pigeons with no wind. I have shot many big bags on windless, stiflingly hot days.

I've had a couple of bags on similar days also. Get under the flight line and be where they want to be. If you do that you'll have a good day. Any compromise in it will have a consequential effect on your bag. 

• 2 weeks later...