Thicken up bitumen primer

Dave-G

I have about 3 litres of very thin bitumen primer left from a project that I'm contemplating making thicker to become underseal for my X-trail.

I'm thinking along the lines of adding flour to it but felt ( pun intended) it maybe best to get a few other opinions before taking the plunge. Its at leat a month since we've had any rain and now seems a good time to get underneath it with a wire brush and get stuck in.

hello, leave it thin enough to spray on and set rather than brush, years ago waxoil was all the business, but in minis difficult to get in sill, with a pump up garden spayer i used engine oil mixed with diesel, a bit messy but i did this on the farm field and drove on dusty track, or sheets under. happy days !!!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

what you have is proberly what is termed "cut back"....it is 80/100 pen bitumen mixed with deseil...once the deseil evapourates it will go solid..........

really you need a proper sealer....hot wash / steam the chassis...leave it to dry for a day or 2...then get some spray cans off the internet...not waxoyl....take the wheels off and do 2 coats...

Thank you gent's - I'll not use the bitumen now. 

Curious about why you say not Waxoyl ditchy - I recently bought two spraycans of it in readiness lol. I have read so many differing opinions about this but would have more respect for your thoughts as a known do-er rather than most who just regurgitate what they've read on tinternet.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Curious about why you say not Waxoyl ditchy - I recently bought two spraycans of it in readiness lol. I have read so many differing opinions about this but would have more respect for your thoughts as a known do-er rather than most who just regurgitate what they've read on tinternet.

It ll wash off the underside, great for inside cavities , but no resilience underneath.

Good quality underbody shutz, if you can spray it.

57 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

wash off the underside, great for inside cavities , but no resilience underneath.

57 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It ll wash off the underside, great for inside cavities , but no resilience underneath.

got to disagree with waxoyl washing off it does after time peal off on edges but most underbody sealants do . Maybe the use of a hot pressure wash might degrade it but I only use a cold pressure wash on my vehicles.I use a shultz spray gun thinning the waxoyl or tetroseal with a little white spirit if its not spraying well or some times it can  be to cold   cos I spray out doors to avoid the fumes .

Must add I underseal vehicle from new and every year thereafter. Shultz does cover  well on an already rusty surface .

Edited by scutt

Its the corrosive action of the salt after gritting in winter, it also degrades shutz to an extent.
I think youll find if you read the blurb on waxoyl, it will say say its not for exterior surfaces.
Im not saying it wont work, it just wont last very long. 

Not read the blurb just stating my experience with waxoyl and as I posted I apply it yearly .Never had an issue of it washing off degrading yes as most underseals do. Dinnetrol in my opinion was the best but even that was touched up yearly.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Waxoyl original is for inside of steel sections not for under body protection, unless what you bought is a waxoyl underseal product.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

when you use it underneath on the chassis....when you are moving at speed water mixed with grit and sand slowly blasts it off as it is softer than other stuff...i used waxoyl on my chassis once and that is exactly what happened...its good stuff but a little too soft when cured..............

5 hours ago, Dave-G said:

above

SAD I KNOW but you got me thinking so had a look at the tin in the garage waxoyl underseal black. One of the claimed results is it does not wash of and that's what I have found on my defenders and trailers I live in the north east coastal area we have a lot of salt/sand on our roads all year round but must say I don't travel at speed? .

10 minutes ago, scutt said:

SAD I KNOW but you got me thinking so had a look at the tin in the garage waxoyl underseal black. One of the claimed results is it does not wash of and that's what I have found on my defenders and trailers I live in the north east coastal area we have a lot of salt/sand on our roads all year round but must say I don't travel at speed? .

Ah so its waxoyl branded UNDERSEAL yiu use.
When plain old waxoyl was mentioned I think everyone assumed it was cavity wax.
Oh well we got there in the end !