Knife carry while shooting

Rob525

Hi everyone. Long story short i used to shoot on family owend land when i was younger so from leaving the house to walking the prem to returning id never step foot out of our small holding. I used to carry a crkt 5inch fixed blade knife in a sheath on my belt and althouh it was overkill it came in very handy a few times. Now im more recent years ive got into my shotguns and last year did a few driven days. This season i have 7 driven days and a week in the orkneys. Last year there was only one time in the couple of days i could have done with a knife and that was for cutting some nylon twine while choosing my birds so would only require a very small blade. My question to you guys is...

Do you carry a knife on driven days? 

What knife is it and what do you recomend?

What have you used it for in times past?

I always prefer using a fixed blade for the feel and safty of fingers but know this isnt really nescerry but im open to suggestions! 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi thanks for the reply its not really a question of being a problem it was more of the 3 questions above. Ive had a look at the opinels you suggested thanks.

Also i think i should add im activley persuing some rough shooting (no luck yet) so when as before being on your own in the feild it becomes a more useful tool. 

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

I always have a knife on me when out shooting, preferably fixed blade, but my favourite for driven days is a big heavy Buck folder, for the simple reason it doubles as a priest. 

What is the blade lentgh of the fixed if you dont mind me asking

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-boker-plus-tech-tool-carbon-1-01bo821.htm

Clips into breaks pocket so only clip shows, and even then not really, used twice driven shooting ... opening a dud cartridge before throwing it in the container and cutting off granny knitted wet boot laces..

I’d try to find a decent Swiss Army knife with a clip, the corkscrew and beer opener will get the most use on a driven day

13 minutes ago, PPP said:

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-boker-plus-tech-tool-carbon-1-01bo821.htm

Clips into breaks pocket so only clip shows, and even then not really, used twice driven shooting ... opening a dud cartridge before throwing it in the container and cutting off granny knitted wet boot laces..

I’d try to find a decent Swiss Army knife with a clip, the corkscrew and beer opener will get the most use on a driven day

This is true!

Yes, I have a Swiss Army knife I was kindly given when in Slovenia. It has a good blade shaped blade which comes up like a razor and locks, it also has a very sharp saw blade which also has a disgorger on the end, bottle opener and screw driver as normal.  Excellent knife, washes clean easily after a gralloch, saw will handle bone no problem.  Recommended.

Mine came without a cover but I made my own. 

DSCF2142 (800x600).jpg

47 minutes ago, PPP said:

Without wishing to hijack, I have a heavy duty buck one handed opener which I find a ****** to get sharp , this one https://www.buck-store.co.uk/knives-c35/buck-279-folding-alpha-hunter-knife-plain-blade-p575 any ideas?

Yep, that’s the one, but mine has the gut hook.

Yes, they aren’t easy to sharpen, so I use an oil stone to sharpen mine, then  finish off with a few swipes on a steel. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yep, that’s the one, but mine has the gut hook.

Yes, they aren’t easy to sharpen, so I use an oil stone to sharpen mine, then  finish off with a few swipes on a steel. 

Thanks, I’ve found that the Smiths pocket Sharpener is the only one that works on it from about 10 sharpeners I have.. I’ll give the stone another go, glad it’s not just me! Maybe priest is the best use...

I am rarely  without my 3 inch Wright's of Sheffield folding knife. I've bad it 15 years  and it has skinned rabbits, breasted pigeon and assisted me numerous times at work with all sorts of heavy tasks as well as cut string in the garden and sharpened pencils  

I wouldn't be without it despite being the owner of spyderco opiniol and other knives

Guest stevo
2 hours ago, PPP said:

Without wishing to hijack, I have a heavy duty buck one handed opener which I find a ****** to get sharp , this one https://www.buck-store.co.uk/knives-c35/buck-279-folding-alpha-hunter-knife-plain-blade-p575 any ideas?

I have and use the same knife , it’s been my hunting and work knife for the past five years . Love it .

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Good stuff, how do you sharpen yours?

Not really realising how big it was, I bought a folding Kalinga Pro which is S30V steel and even worse to sharpen. Because of its size I rarely if ever use it, but as they're no longer made their value is creeping up so I just hang on to it. I use these when necessary and finish off with a strop or ceramic.

https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/bench-stones/dia-sharp/

Guest stevo
2 hours ago, PPP said:

Good stuff, how do you sharpen yours?

I have a mate that does mine every now and then because I’m out and out rubbish at that sort of thing. I just keep the edge topped up with a little gerber hand held jobby ?

https://www.heinnie.com/svord-peasant-mini

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-ukpk-frn-leaf-flat-grind

Svord mini is a friction folder,  which means that it has no lock, and you need no good reason to carry it, even when not shooting - L6 steel sharpens easily and takes a wickedly sharp edge, will rust if you let it but the oil from your nose/forehead is enough to stop the rust, though wd40 is better! When held, the tang is held open, so it can't fold on you, and is basically a fixed blade, but it's still totally legal, as take your hand away and the blade folds readily, as in case law. 16 quid, a steal.

Spyderco ukpk is designed to be legal in the UK. Again, no lock, so forget it's in your pocket, don't go to prison. Decent steel, and the choil behind the edge holds your finger, and stops the blade closing on your fingers. Clips the your trouser pocket, so light you won't notice it, but strong enough to do real work. Nice pointy blade too, good for jointing and breasting out. Bit more expensive,  but great knives. I've had an s30v version for about 12 years, and it's going strong.