Knife carry while shooting

Rob525

On 12/07/2018 at 07:11, PPP said:

Good stuff, how do you sharpen yours?

Easiest way if you can't sharpen free hand is to buy a spyderco sharpmaker or lansky turnbox. 

The rods are slotted into the base at the correct angle so when you slice your blade down vertically, it runs along the rod at the right angle to take just enough metal off to make the edge sharp. If you have a blade made of s30v or similar hard to sharpen steel,  buy a cheap diamond plate (amtech, 6quid) and lay it on the rod,  making it the right angle  but taking metal off in a quicker fashion. 

One you've back ground the blade to thin the edge, these devices can freshen a dulled edge in moments, and require little skill. 

3 hours ago, tx4cabbie said:

Easiest way if you can't sharpen free hand is to buy a spyderco sharpmaker or lansky turnbox. 

The rods are slotted into the base at the correct angle so when you slice your blade down vertically, it runs along the rod at the right angle to take just enough metal off to make the edge sharp. If you have a blade made of s30v or similar hard to sharpen steel,  buy a cheap diamond plate (amtech, 6quid) and lay it on the rod,  making it the right angle  but taking metal off in a quicker fashion. 

One you've back ground the blade to thin the edge, these devices can freshen a dulled edge in moments, and require little skill. 

Hi

i have a turn box which is awesome on most knives, just not the buck...

The turnbox takes minute amounts of metal off, which can mean that a dull edge can seem to take forever to bring back. A diamond stone cuts so much faster, so if you use one to thin the grind,  then use the turnbox, you'll see a marked improvement in performance. 

Say the turnbox gives about a 20 degree angle either side of the blade, colour in the edge with a sharpie permanent marker, then see what angle you need to take the bit of the blade just behind the edge, so the bit that the turnbox touches is left alone, and the diamond removes the steel behind that. This will thin the edge geometry,  less of a transition between the cutting edge and the rest of the blade, so less wedging action. 

Seems like a lot of work, but worth it. Your blade will glide through your cutting medium, and sharpen a lot easier/quicker.

33 minutes ago, tx4cabbie said:

The turnbox takes minute amounts of metal off, which can mean that a dull edge can seem to take forever to bring back. A diamond stone cuts so much faster, so if you use one to thin the grind,  then use the turnbox, you'll see a marked improvement in performance. 

Say the turnbox gives about a 20 degree angle either side of the blade, colour in the edge with a sharpie permanent marker, then see what angle you need to take the bit of the blade just behind the edge, so the bit that the turnbox touches is left alone, and the diamond removes the steel behind that. This will thin the edge geometry,  less of a transition between the cutting edge and the rest of the blade, so less wedging action. 

Seems like a lot of work, but worth it. Your blade will glide through your cutting medium, and sharpen a lot easier/quicker.

Fantastic thanks so much, this is even more useful seeing as I lost one of my Boker knives today building Partridge pens.... Ah well an excuse to buy more at game fair..

I always carry a knife, apart from if i'm out on the town/for a meal etc. Always go for UK 'legal' ones. Have a Boker Plus Worldwide most of the time when shooting, or a Lansky World Legal, both heavy duty blades and the super strong mechanism gives reassurance that it wouldn't close accidentally. For work i have a Klecker Cordovan as its much lighter and more 'pen knife' like (make sure you get the non-locking version).

I have many knives,fixed blade,lock blade and UK legal carry.

The knife I use most is a swiss army knife with non locking blade and scissors etc. This gets used mist as it's ALWAYS in my pocket.

Razor sharp and with a few useful extras..my wife used the little tweezers to do an emergency eyebrow pluck when we were on the way to a wedding the other day lol.

A medium sized swiss army knife will serve you well on any driven day.

10 minutes ago, nicholiath said:

The knife I use most is a Swiss army knife with non locking blade and scissors etc.

I would agree that the Swiss Army/Victorinox/Wenger are very good knives, and have a huge range - and use good steel that keeps an edge well.  I have one from over 40 years ago, still good, if a little scratched etc.

The only tools about which I have grave reservations are the ones that require 'twist' action (mainly screwdrivers).  The hinge isn't ideal for that - and those bits do close on the fingers very easily when trying to apply pressure to keep the blade in the screw.  That is where locking is essential (in my opinion).  The knife part (strict knife) is good as are the usual bottle openers etc.