Can I get a company to increase an air rifle's power to more than 12ft/lbs?

yeet

I have been looking at cheap pcp air rifles around £300-£500 and was wondering if I could contact the supplier/company and ask if they would increase the power to FAC standard, I am a certificate holder for a +12ft/lbs air rifle. It would seem that this would be possible because if you look at American reviews of air rifles available in the UK they say they are pushing 20-30ft/lbs whilst ours are getting 12ft/lbs maximum.

Thanks

The 12 lb limit is the Law here. It doesn’t apply in the US. Yes you can get you rifle changed to fac rating by a gunsmith. They will need to see your fac and the rifle will remain fac rated.

Just now, DC177 said:

The 12 lb limit is the Law here. It doesn’t apply in the US. Yes you can get you rifle changed to fac rating by a gunsmith. They will need to see your fac and the rifle will remain fac rated.

yeah bang on the money as dc177 says carnt be put back to sub 12ft must stay fac

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Joined the forum 1 hour ago ?

And your point is? 

The OP has stated he has a certificate for +12ft/lbs, so possibly from Ireland, or UK with an FAC. Its a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Edited by turbo33

29 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

And your point is? 

The OP has stated he has a certificate for +12ft/lbs, so possibly from Ireland, or UK with an FAC. Its a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Yeh but it is an odd question for a FAC holder to ask though.

45 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Why? Might not be the traditional route, and I agree that maybe he isn't very knowledgable about the factory produced availability, or even the second hand market. But we don't know where he comes from. He says he has a +12ft/lbs certificate. Is it a UK FAC? We don't know. Still, if you don't ask, you won't know. 

But, Ultrastu's quip about him only joining an hour ago is still pointless and irrelevant. This isn't some secret, elite  society, although some might like to think that.

Edited by turbo33

5 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Why? Might not be the traditional route, and I agree that maybe he isn't very knowledgable about the factory produced availability, or even the second hand market. But we don't know where he comes from. He says he has a +12ft/lbs certificate. Is it a UK FAC? We don't know. Still, if you don't ask, you won't know. 

But, Ultrastu's quip about him only joining an hour ago is still pointless and irrelevant. This isn't some secret, elite  society, although some might like to think that.

So you not a member of the knitting pattern and jam making club on here?

Dear oh dear I thought you moved in the correct circles?

7 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

True, he may have been a shotgunner with little exposure to air rifles. It was a bit of a naive question for a fac holder tbh.

5 hours ago, yeet said:

I have been looking at cheap pcp air rifles around £300-£500 and was wondering if I could contact the supplier/company and ask if they would increase the power to FAC standard, I am a certificate holder for a +12ft/lbs air rifle. It would seem that this would be possible because if you look at American reviews of air rifles available in the UK they say they are pushing 20-30ft/lbs whilst ours are getting 12ft/lbs maximum.

Thanks

Yes I did it a few years back with a Falcon raptor mate,but once it's been on ticket as a Fac it will be on ticket even if it's reduced back to 12 ft b,well that's what i believe.

24 minutes ago, Bluebarrels said:

So you not a member of the knitting pattern and jam making club on here?

Dear oh dear I thought you moved in the correct circles?

BB, how very dare you!!

You and I are just mere mortals. We haven't qualified for the  Pigeon Watch apron, that should be worn during all posts and have no idea of the secret PW hand shake. ?

Plenty of FAC air rifles for sale on Gun Star or Gun Trader, usually much cheaper in FAC versions as there are fewer FAC holders for them. Will save a lot of time and hassle getting your own rifle to a gunsmith to do the work and getting it returned. As stated, once it`s classed as a FAC rated gun and is on ticket, there is no getting it off, that`s why they are so much cheaper 2nd hand. Same is true of moderators once on ticket they cannot be removed, though for the life of me I don`t know why?

Incidentally it is more usual for a purpose made FAC air rifle Like the Air Arms 510 for example, to have an adjustable out put so you can regulate your rifle from 12 ft/lbs to it`s maximum, and any thing in between, so if you end up shooting within a grain store or barn there is less likelihood of you putting holes through the roof.

I have in my possession, a letter from my Firearms  licencing  manager which states " an FAC Rated air rifle , may be returned to Non FAC Condition ,only , by a qualified 

registered gunsmith".  

So there you go. Different forces may have different rules, but that's on 'headed note paper'.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:37, yeet said:

Thanks

Why don't you just buy a FAC rated rifle to start with?   £500 plus conversion costs would buy you plenty of FAC rifles!

Edited by Dekers

On 12/07/2018 at 17:39, DC177 said:

Why?

Surely a forum is there to provide answers to any questions,and for people to pull on experience of others.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by Bluebarrels