Fjords Cruise - Recommendations

Salop Matt

Folks,

SWMBO has said she wants a holiday this year :crazy: This is going to cost me annual leave that I had planed on using going loading and beating :oops:

So she likes the idea of a cruise around the Fjords. In all fairness I would rather visit Norway/Sweden/ Iceland etc and be doing things than spend a week pegged out in the sun board and burnt.

Has anyone else done it and any advice etc?

I have pointed out a week in September so it doesn't interferer with the season, with the reduced amount of annual leave I need as much flexibility as possible for the season ! 

TIA

Matt

Went on a cruise to Norway with P&O in September a few years ago, upgraded to balcony cabin, food superb, service excellent, couldn't fault it! In truth It was a bit of a tradeoff with the wife for two days Grouse and Ptarmigan shooting I had on the 12th and 13th August that year! Lol!

Selfless as ever I hated every minute of it of course ?...... but the wife thoroughly enjoyed it! Lol!

Thomson cruises .doa Norway and fjords .7day cruise all inclusive .on there ship discovery.

just come back from 14  day Baltic cruise.no dressing up.cheaper than p&o .sail from Newcastle 

We went with P&O a couple of years ago and thought it was fantastic.  Balcony is a must in my opinion to appreciate the views from the comfort of your cabin and a drink.

Food, service and ship were all brilliant.  I would happily do it again.  Sailed from Southampton 

Any questions let me know

Did a trip 2 years ago in the November with "Norway in a nutshell" trip Although the trip was in semi darkness after we crossed the Arctic circle it was an amazing experience.

Get in touch with "Nordic Visitor" and they will customise a trip for you. (E mail them for brochures at Nordicvisitor.com We travelled overland by rail to Bergen from Oslo and then sailed North on the Hurtegruten line (passenger/car ferry service visiting all the little fishing villages) apart from the larger ports. We travelled all the way around the North cape to the edge of Russia. Accommodation on board was superb as was the buffet styled meals, I have only ever come across so many dishes when I travelled to Egypt  in a 5 star hotel that had been booked for lunch. You will also get to partake in the crossing of the line ceremony (Arctic Circle). You can also plan many side excursions from the ship before hand or even on the day if they are not over subscribed for the trips. Don`t be put off by thinking these small ships are like the cross channel ferries, they are not and they are most definitely state of the art.

You will have a great time. Alcohol is incredibly expensive (2 small beers £20.00)  the best advise is to stock up on spirits as you leave the airport. The Duty free shops are on the way out over there. You are not supposed to take alcohol on the ferry, but a couple of bottles of brandy was easily taken on board and lasted us all week.

As this is a Norwegian ship it conforms to their rules so is stricter on drinking than say a British Ship.

Edited by Flyboy1950

We went to the fjords with Royal Carribbean in may aboard the Independence of the seas and have to say the scenery is stunning. The captain did a 360 spin in gerainger fjord to let us take photos of the waterfalls and we also visited Flam and Stavanger. As people have said Norway is expensive!

I used to work for Fred Olsen in the 70's before i had my own travel agency, Fred Olsen used to act as the general sales agency for the aforementioned Hurtegruten" The Norwegian Coastal Voyage", in my opinion it is the only way to see  Norway. A ship leaves Bergen everyday and sails up the coast calling at all the small towns and villages, picking up passengers and dropping kids off to go to school.  The cabins are very comfortable and the ships sail up through the Arctic circle and turn around on the Russian border at Kirkenes.The best times to do this trip are May, June July to make full advantage of the long days. I could name a hundred reasons for doing this journey rather than on a plastic cruise ship, the main one is that these ships are part and parcel of the local way of life but best of all they actually can fit into the smaller ports that the larger ships are unable to go.. Also the big ships disgorge hundreds of passengers at very small ports and completely overwhelm these beautiful places..  As you don't sound too thrilled with the prospects of a "cruise" this could be your chance of both enjoying a truely brilliant trip,. Pick yourself a brochure up from a proper travel agents (not a holiday shop) or look up on the web and ask them to send you one in the post. from Auntie.

Yeah done Iceland-Norway with Royal Caribbean from Southampton in first week of Sept 2014, 10 days which was a bit to long for me.Had Holidays in Iceland before which are good but the scenery in Norway is absolutely stunning,also got to see the northern lights after leaving Akureyri Iceland to sail to Norway.

1 hour ago, salop sniper said:

Cheers folks, we are going to have mooch at a local travel agent on Sunday.

A week in October may have to be done so some can have our dogs for the week. 

ATB

Matt

Try to find yourself a real independent travel agent, if you go into one of the multiple shops they will only offer you the mass market "cruise"like Butlins floating hotels. from Auntie.

On 12/07/2018 at 21:24, 100milesaway said:

I used to work for Fred Olsen in the 70's before i had my own travel agency, Fred Olsen used to act as the general sales agency for the aforementioned Hurtegruten" The Norwegian Coastal Voyage", in my opinion it is the only way to see  Norway. A ship leaves Bergen everyday and sails up the coast calling at all the small towns and villages, picking up passengers and dropping kids off to go to school.  The cabins are very comfortable and the ships sail up through the Arctic circle and turn around on the Russian border at Kirkenes.The best times to do this trip are May, June July to make full advantage of the long days. I could name a hundred reasons for doing this journey rather than on a plastic cruise ship, the main one is that these ships are part and parcel of the local way of life but best of all they actually can fit into the smaller ports that the larger ships are unable to go.. Also the big ships disgorge hundreds of passengers at very small ports and completely overwhelm these beautiful places..  As you don't sound too thrilled with the prospects of a "cruise" this could be your chance of both enjoying a truely brilliant trip,. Pick yourself a brochure up from a proper travel agents (not a holiday shop) or look up on the web and ask them to send you one in the post. from Auntie.

We did this trip a couple of years ago and loved it, we wanted to see the northern lights (spectacular) but the trade off is obviously darkness pretty much 24/7.

Well worth a look, just do your research and don't be disappointed when It's not a cruise ship with entertainment you're boarding.