Killing Two Birds With One Stone

marsh man

After charging my own and the magnet batteries up on Tuesday I was ready for another go yesterday on a different field of Pea stubble , with the big game not starting till seven I could kill two birds with one stone by going shooting at dinnertime and packing up at five thirty .

The field I was on Monday was a smallish field of 35 acres which made it easy to get in the right place , the fields I was on yesterday was around 80 acres which made it a bit harder but it did have a hedge running down the middle , I settled on the outside of one of the fields with the wind on my back , this I hope would put any pigeons up on the next field by the sound of my shooting , this worked alright but the downside was looking direct in to the bright sunshine .

Shooting was fairly regular and with listening to the tennis and watching the combine going round on the next field the time soon went and looking at my watch it was soon time to pack up , one thing I am beginning to enjoy is driving up to the hide and putting everything back in the motor without during yourself an injury .

Anyhow , it wasn't a huge bag but I was very happy with 41 picked and no I didn't run out of cartridges  

SAM_7476.jpg

SAM_7474.jpg 

20 minutes ago, JDog said:

You have mastered both pigeons and photos of late.

Trying to work out how to put the photos on was a lot harder than shooting the pigeons , i did have to pop out to my daughters at Beccles today to find out how to rotate them , delete and to file the ones you want , I came away more confused than when I went and its a pity my old one ran out of steam when it did , still it only took me three years to find out what little I know about computers and I dare say it will take another three years to know how this one works.

One little thing worth a mention about yesterday , there was a Red Deer hind cane out of the wood which was about 100 yds away and started to eat the maize that was planted as game cover , the cover isn't very good due to the dry weather so I thought rather than walk her off she will go as soon as I fire a shot , after a little while I fired a shot and when I looked she hadn't even lifted her head up let alone run off , anyhow to cut a long story short , she kept there while I was shooting and ended up walking off in her own time and as if I wasn't there , the only thing I could think of is she might had been deaf.

38 minutes ago, aga man said:

Well done on another nice short session. I love the photos of your busy looking decoy patterns. Not many pigeons could resist a pattern like those, even at range.

THANKS aga man ....... We have all got our own opinion on how many decoys to put out , weather dead birds , rubber , or both , I don't often get over 30/40 in the time I am there so I leave most of them where they fall , the only ones I clear up are the ones on the edge of the outside of the pattern as I think as the day wear on the pigeons tend to skirt around the outside of the decoys making the shot on the border line and I rarely shoot as good at the end of the day as I do at the beginning , back to the age subject☺️

Guest stevo

MM 

theres nowt wrong with that pattern mate ,  a nice bag there has proved that , 

from the situation you had in that photo , I would have done something pretty similar ?

Well done MM, love the Norfolk presentation of decoys and shot birds. A well planned session and well executed. 

In my formative years , pre magnet, I would set out forty plastics and two fresh birds as flyers. This took too long to set up and disturbed the returning birds so we decided to build the hide and then ten plastics two flyers and shoot the returning birds.

Look forward to your next outing.

10 hours ago, stevo said:

MM 

theres nowt wrong with that pattern mate ,  a nice bag there has proved that , 

from the situation you had in that photo , I would have done something pretty similar ?

Cheers stevo .... Ideally I would have gone on the other side of the field and had the sun on my back and had the advantage of a flight line flying down the hedge that divides the two fields , the only problem would have been the breeze would have been blowing in my face , so it was either looking in the sun and hope the shooting keep the birds on the move , or going in a slightly better place and have the wind in your face , so looking in the sun it was and at least it topped my tan up?

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done MM, love the Norfolk presentation of decoys and shot birds. A well planned session and well executed. 

In my formative years , pre magnet, I would set out forty plastics and two fresh birds as flyers. This took too long to set up and disturbed the returning birds so we decided to build the hide and then ten plastics two flyers and shoot the returning birds.

Look forward to your next outing.

The only time I will put a good number of decoys is when I can drive to where I intend to set up , when I have to walk all the gear I try now and take it one go , two lightweight nets , two bouncers , lightweight hide poles , lightweight seat , 10 flocked shells , magnet and small battery ( if needed ) , four dead pigeons , two boxes of shells and me and the dogs refreshments .

I am glad you liked the presentation , just between me and you , I altered it at least a half a dozen times until I thought I had got it bang on ?...... Enjoy your time away .....