Bee attractor

Good shot?

10 hours ago, JDog said:

Good effort with the Echinops.

In my garden Stachys byzantina has been the main attractor of late.

Somehow just seeing bees and butterflies working away on a plant searching for nectar gives me lots of pleasure.

Had to Google that one JDog. If you had said Lamb's Ear, I would have known.

It seems to be the various Hebes in my garden that are the main bee attractors so far. Normally my Buddleia Globosa attracts the bumble bees but no so for me this year.

Other Buddleias just flowering so hoping to get a good selection of butterflies.

As you say, all give much pleasure.

OB

At our cottage, a huge patch of pink sedums was totally covered (and I really do mean covered) in bees all September. Very rewarding perenials to grow imho - easy to establish and very reliable.

Also, make sure you let any ivy flower - the bees love these as some of the very last of the year’s nectar.

ive planted some Korean mint this year, the flowers of which are supposed to be super for pollinators.

LS

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, robbiep said:

Lavender. We've got about 20 huge lavender bushes (I think they're bushes, not sure if that's the correct term), and bees absolutely love them. I can lie in the garden with the gentle buzzing all around and above me, and just doze off.

Thyme in flower is also a good one for honey bees. We found that some of our bees got a little overprotective of their nectar source. In the case of the apple blossom you couldnt get within 5 yards and when we let the purple sprouting brocolli flower that was the same. To be fair we had 5 hives about 50 foot away so a couple of bees in 200,000 + wasnt bad really. 

We have about 8 Lavenders in a row each one about 1 metre across there are a huge amount of bees on them. We often get some of our guests counting them each time they go past. All our Budlella has had a great season and is still full of bees and butterflies even though they are now past their best. This year we also planed a area with a nectar rich seed mix visiable to our guests without them walking on it and this has also had a great season and is still very full of colour and insects.