.17 Hornet

squirrel shooter

Outdoorsman what price are these rifles new? Would you recommend buying new for this calibre. Or nothing wrong with trying to find a good second hand package 

Soulboy1957 what model rifle is the Savage, can't seem to find a lot about them. Reloading wise that is a big saving. Something I will have to look at 

Edited by squirrel shooter

Got one and its nice. I have a CZ527 and chopped the barrel to 18" which lost me a bit of speed but makes the gun a lot handier to use especially as I replaced my Wildcat Evo mod with a Wildcat Panther.

If you  reload and your grounds are cleared for it/ your on open ticket it virtually replaces the HMR its easily comparable noise wise to the HMR and you can get the bullet cost down to a similar level with reloading.  Bunnies are edible if you head shoot them (same as the HMR really) with the added bonus that it does the business on fox easily out to 150 yards. 

Cost wise is the only down side there is really limited 2nd had stuff about as a lot of them get kept and it doesnt have the mass appeal of say a .22 250 so there are less guns about total. 

I went for the CZ as I didnt really like the Savage bolt operation and the plastic stock didnt seem very rigid. CZ are coming out about £650-700 new 

Other options are the HW60 but they are new and quite expensive and Anschutz have got one out now but oh my god the cost was eye watering coming close to £2K when I searched for it!

15 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve just got the slot for one and wondering  the same. 

Nath 

If you ever want a play with a Hornet let me know I am sure I could arrange to bring mine up for you to have a go with.

Cheers Neil

On 13/07/2018 at 01:50, squirrel shooter said:

Outdoorsman what price are these rifles new? Would you recommend buying new for this calibre. Or nothing wrong with trying to find a good second hand package 

Soulboy1957 what model rifle is the Savage, can't seem to find a lot about them. Reloading wise that is a big saving. Something I will have to look at 

I think i paid 795 but then the prices went up i would get new but saying that i bet there are a load second hand with very little round count due to the ammo price / availability join the face group page for 17 hornet if your on there sometimes people hint that they are going to sell up