Tree or big shrub recommendation

PPP

Hi Guys, there seems to be some great 0ant knowlee in here and I’m hoping that you can give me some ideas..

I have a raised bed that currently has bamboo plants in, the idea was to create a screen so that nosy people can’t look over the fence for the footpath next door mostly because I have a log cabin office behind the screen.

i have never been a big fan of the bamboo, it grew quite strange (mostly forwards as well as up) so have decided to remove it.

im looking for some suggestions of trees or shrubs that will survive in relatively shallow soil (the builder that landscaped the garden dumped a load of concrete in the raised bed ?) and will also survive in quite shady conditions that will look nice and grow quickly to replace the screen.  There is an Acer nearby that has done well if that helps (I know nothing about plants)

Thanks in advance

Hopefully JDog will be along shortly, he is the PW Guru on such things. Just don`t even think about Leylandii.

My humble suggestions would be something like Pittosporum, the larger forms of Ceanothus (Californian Lilac),  Laurel, or even Eucalyptus Gunnii if kept well trimmed to retain the blue rounded leaves.

However, JDog will no doubt advise better on the subject.

OB

Have a look at pyracanthea. A very thorny shrub with great white flowers in spring and berries in autumn that the thrush family loves. I grew it to about eight feet to screen a wall and add security. It is worth speaking to the garden centre about your soil. Mine was dry and alkaline. If you get a good sized specimen or two they should fly away after a year or two.

imagree about bamboo, horrible stuff that is invasive in open ground.

Depending on the type of Phyllostachys you had you may have given up on one of the best screening plants out there. It does need managing by cutting out old growth on a four yearly cycle. If you haven't done that it may explain why some grew forward. 

Whatever you do plant you have to dig out the rubble beforehand. 

Stiffus Pulkcocea................known as "the norfolk willy bush"...attracts all sorts of stuff...grows well near a bush....feed with fish meal late autumn...harvest 9 mths later

Edited by ditchman
extra important information