Neighbours dog

Doc Holliday

Mods, I know this is about a dog but it's more.to do with the owners that's why this is in Off Topic and not Dogs.

Next door have a West Highland terrier. You can count up on one hand the amount of times it goes out of the house but the issue is it doesn't stop barking when they leave it, and this dog can bark for hours.

Unfortunately we don't get on with them, not through lack of trying but some people just aren't worth the emotional investment. I have seriously thought about reporting the dog to the RSPCA as it has a skin complaint that doesn't seem to be getting treatment but that's a seperate issue. 

I have already put a relatively polite note through the door on Christmas day last year as it was barking all afternoon and in to the evening. They didn't acknowledge it but things did seem to improve for a while but this summer it has got to the point where I could quite easily blow my top over it. 

Naturally, I'd like to try and be the better person but I'd like the PW Collective's advice on what would genuinely be the best next step.

I did say to Mrs H that maybe another note saying that the dog clearly has seperation issues and it is not fair to leave it so long or for us to endure its incessant barking and that if they didn't address it then we'd have no option but to report it, adding that perhaps if they gave it a good walk and maybe one of those toys that dispenses treats to keep it occupied may help but she thinks I'm being provocative. 

I'd rather not be confrontational as things can get said in the heat of the moment and we have to live next door to each other. We don't even acknowledge each other since he came knocking at 10pm one night asking me to move my van as I was parked too close to his wife's car (wouldn't have been a problem if they park on their drive instead of the road). Needless to say I asked if he was taking the rise and he and his Missus stood out there trying to bawl me out but that's another story.

Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Doesn’t sound like there is much to lose in terms of a relationship with these people. Personally I would drop another letter around highlighting the fact that you drew their attention to it at Christmas but the barking is still an issue. If the issue continues they will leave you with no choice but to report the matter to the council. You can ensure that the letter isn’t aggressive, point out that you are coming to them first to resolve the matter and this is the second time you have done so. You don’t want to bring third parties into the mix but they leave you no choice if they don’t fix the issue.

Report the nuisance/barking dog to Environmental health/services! Record the dogs barking, keep a log of the time and date of when it started and what time it stopped, and the circumstances....neighbors went out and left the dog etc!......you should not have to put up with it!

Think of the dog first. It should not be left by itself for hours on end day after day. You’ve already done the right thing by previously making the owners aware of their pets problems when they leave it unattended for long. Politely inform them if the issue persists you are left with no other option but to report the case to the relevant people 

11 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Report the nuisance/barking dog to Environmental health/services! Record the dogs barking, keep a log of the time and date of when it started and what time it stopped, and the circumstances....neighbors went out and left the dog etc!......you should not have to put up with it!

Absolutely agree with reporting to environmentsl health. I was reported by a neighbour in the past and they do take it seriously. In my case it was the first I knew of it as my dogs were kennelled at the bottom of the garden. I sorted it straight away and would have done sooner had my neighbour actually told me. You have told them and they are ignoring you so go to the next stage. The council will treat it anonymously.

Pop down to Aldi and buy a couple of boxes of sugar free Butterscotch sweets - once your neighbours are out start feeding them thru the door - 4-5 a day should soon have them wondering why they ever bought a Dog in the first place  :sick: .p.s - this also works on people.

Edited by bruno22rf

6 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Pop down to Aldi and buy a couple of boxes of sugar free Butterscotch sweets - once your neighbours are out start feeding them thru the door - 4-5 a day should soon have them wondering why they ever bought a Dog in the first place  :sick: .p.s - this also works on people.

For someone not in the know, this post was a little cryptic, so I had to search, for anyone else intrigued have a little read of this: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=192&t=1538474 ! lol

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

^^^^ This is the correct answer. 

No other way round it unless you go down the illegal route which i'm sure you wont.

Ive been there myself so this is from experience, yet i was accused of throwing vegetables at it/them. Had a visit from Plod that ended up with both of us having a laugh. 

Don`t forget the RSPCA too. I had a similar situation but a GSD and it was constantly shaking its head and had coloured/waxy looking ears, so probably ear mite and I got them to take a look and it certainly helped as they are third party and have to be taken seriously.

3 hours ago, Munzy said:

Doesn’t sound like there is much to lose in terms of a relationship with these people. Personally I would drop another letter around highlighting the fact that you drew their attention to it at Christmas but the barking is still an issue. If the issue continues they will leave you with no choice but to report the matter to the council. You can ensure that the letter isn’t aggressive, point out that you are coming to them first to resolve the matter and this is the second time you have done so. You don’t want to bring third parties into the mix but they leave you no choice if they don’t fix the issue.

this sounds the best way to me :good:

You could resort to petty actions .in the vague hope that your neighbours see the light and solve the issue .but i fear you would be wasting your time and incriminating your self to boot .

Id just report it now .you have already tried to politely resolve the issue ..

The dog is clearly un happy .

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

^^^^ This is the correct answer. 

No other way round it unless you go down the illegal route which i'm sure you wont.

Ive been there myself so this is from experience, yet i was accused of throwing vegetables at it/them. Had a visit from Plod that ended up with both of us having a laugh. 

had a similat problem...............above is the way to sort it

Years ago we reported a similar problem to the RSPCA and they weren't interested. Leaving a dog in the garden all day with no food, no water, no shelter and no company doesn't meet their criteria for taking action. Doesn't qualify as neglect apparently.

The dog in question was an Alsatian, previously kept by the thuggish owner as a guard dog when he was running a pub. In the end we made friends with the dog through a thin part of the hedge as all it really wanted was human contact.

I despair with people sometimes, sounds like the dog needs rehoming, one of the best bits of advice I ever saw was to offer to walk the dog, should sort the Boredom barking and might help to smooth neighbour relations, obviously understandable if you haven't the time or simply don't want to "adopt" a dog that's not yours, if not I'd report it, for the dogs sake if nothing else.

2 hours ago, guzzicat said:

You could record it & play back after bed time with speakers facing the wall where their bedroom is, maybe even sleep downstairs for a while if need be

Experience tells me this does work.

some years back when we lived in a semi bungalow in Cornwall the neighbour would play music while gardening. Really annoying and polite requests were repeatedly ignored. One evening when he was watching tv I turned my speakers to the wall and played just one track full bore - Full Cream: NSU. Then turned it off. He got the message and we never discussed the matter again.

but I do recognise that such an approach is not without its risks !!

7 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

but the issue is it doesn't stop barking when they leave it,

So, as they're out, they don't understand the issue.They might think it's contrived. Record the dog with a timescale on the video. Show it to your neighbours and see what they say. That's the first step.

I found my neighbours dogs incredibly irritating for the first two weeks. They bark at anyone walking down the street by the side of their garden or at anyone on our side of the fence (on and off all day, they were trained to do this when the owner kept his business on site as a guard system). Then the owner appeared under my Landrover whilst I was swearing at the handbrake cable routing and got stuck into helping. Since then the dogs have been just as noisy but it hasn't bothered me. 

In your instance environmental health might help but it may be more effective and much faster to buy them an anti barking collar as a present. 

Since i I started walking their biggest and loudest by far dog from time to time it has almost completely stopped barking, probably because when out with me a bark gets a quick reprimand. 

Edited by Wb123

We got the same problem with next door there on there second great dane and the only time its let out it runs to the top of there garden and barks at everybody going past , ive even heard kids going along the path to the primary school saying mummy that dogs there again , its a standing joke in the street it barks at the moon , Anybody that comes to see me says why do you put up with that ?. Ive 4 dogs and they don't bark i know they have had 3 letters from the dog warden they told me they took them to a man at there work who always gets letters about his Alsatians barking and he said just ignore them i do and nothings happened. The great thing is they don't live long the last one died at 8 and this ones no far from it  the wife cant take it out its a idiot and she cant handle it and the man has no interest  in walking it and only stands at the door smoking whilst its barking its head of at the fence , the wife at least says Jess you will come in for being bad LOL im convinced there no right and they change there laminated flooring etc every year so i hope its ******* over it and it puts them off getting another dog as there that stupid unless they where taken to court i honestly dont think a letter would worry them