Poachers/Hare coursers?!

Chezney

10 hours ago, washerboy said:

Don’t know of any hare coursing lads that would run a dog in this heat on land as hard as iron, maybe it was lads looking to steal farm machinery 

my thoughts exactly. to be fair not normally summer hunters. but come september they will be about for sure

On 13/07/2018 at 19:13, Konnie said:

Removing the hares will do no good,

Blocking as many gate holes as possible will help but won't solve  the problem, keep reporting every sighting and get all in area to call in and get a report number then police will have to at least have a look.

they are a problem and need relentless pestering to drive them away.

This is a good part of the solution along with police involvement and perhaps ditch digging on vulnerable sections of perimeter if practical, will stop them, make sure any gates drain bridges on the property are well blocket too they like to be able to move about freely.   The moped group were working out the land access points tracks gates bridges inside the property, they are rarely intimidated by you knowing they are there they generally don't care , in fact i think it can sometimes encourage them, you simply must make life hard for them and hope what you do is enough to deter them from bothering. Removing the hares is pointless they are never that switched on they probably saw or even heard some were on the ground and that's enough to set them off .

These individuals are from all walks of life from the action seeking young student who picked up a david brian plummer book and decided he liked the idea and gave it a go, to the dyed in the wool poacher gangs and everything in between, the one thing they all have in common is they are despite popular myth clueless over confident and lack skill at what they are attempting to do, but the lack of police numbers and remoteness of some areas they target makes deterring them as much as you can the best option certainly initially. 

One thing i do strongly advise against is any kind of direct interruption of their activities and any confrontation with them.  Stay back observe get the police involved , let them deal with them. 

17 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

This is a good part of the solution along with police involvement and perhaps ditch digging on vulnerable sections of perimeter if practical, will stop them, make sure any gates drain bridges on the property are well blocket too they like to be able to move about freely.   The moped group were working out the land access points tracks gates bridges inside the property, they are rarely intimidated by you knowing they are there they generally don't care , in fact i think it can sometimes encourage them, you simply must make life hard for them and hope what you do is enough to deter them from bothering. Removing the hares is pointless they are never that switched on they probably saw or even heard some were on the ground and that's enough to set them off .

These individuals are from all walks of life from the action seeking young student who picked up a david brian plummer book and decided he liked the idea and gave it a go, to the dyed in the wool poacher gangs and everything in between, the one thing they all have in common is they are despite popular myth clueless over confident and lack skill at what they are attempting to do, but the lack of police numbers and remoteness of some areas they target makes deterring them as much as you can the best option certainly initially. 

One thing i do strongly advise against is any kind of direct interruption of their activities and any confrontation with them.  Stay back observe get the police involved , let them deal with them. 

well said sir

27 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Indeed ! And much as i agree its there is nothing better than getting these slithering scum locked up , the satisfaction it gives you when you see their wives shouting at the judge when he sends them down is worth all the cold night away from home getting them caught.  Keep away from them though i cannot emphasise that enough these are not the quaint yokel rusty raleigh pedaling poachers of popular misconception, these are criminals who will stop at nothing to escape capture, and accept judicial sentencing badly.  Sadly the sentences rarely fit the crimes but will admit the tide does seem to be turning on these criminals and the police do try to help  where they can but low man power is the problem yet i like to think those that are available are highly motivated to apprehending these people. 

Have I read a different post to everyone else? The OP's mate thought he saw a dog with the lads. That has somehow changed to a hare coursing gang of gypsies?

We all know what assuming does don't we?

For the record, I'm far from pro-gypsy, but to assume everyone with (or in this case possibly without) a dog is a gypsy hare or deer coursing is bizarre. I have a lurcher, so I can only presume everyone thinks I'm a gypsy too when I walk him. :no:

48 minutes ago, walshie said:

Have I read a different post to everyone else? The OP's mate thought he saw a dog with the lads. That has somehow changed to a hare coursing gang of gypsies?

We all know what assuming does don't we?

For the record, I'm far from pro-gypsy, but to assume everyone with (or in this case possibly without) a dog is a gypsy hare or deer coursing is bizarre. I have a lurcher, so I can only presume everyone thinks I'm a gypsy too when I walk him. 

What they do is illegal unlike you with your running dogs which is a totally different thing altogether.  Getting sown up with the gypsy term wants forgetting we need to focus on the enemy and bringing them to justice . Regarding the OP i dont feel he is far off the mark, the moped scouting although a little unusual in choice of vehicle perhaps  its the typical routine, same with the van dog or no dog its typical after they scout around to look at the ground. My guess is in the not too distant future something will happen, but thinking positive they might have noticed they were spotted and it could just have put them off time will decide that.