Variation.

Graham M

Sent off for a variation for a .44 cal black powder pistol and yesterday received a letter from Staff's to notify me of its arrival.

Never had that before but didn't think much of it. Then read through the letter and was astonished by its contents.

They thanked me for the "Application" and the payment, and will be processing my "Application" by doing an "In depth background check" and may send out an FEO to visit me for an interview.

For a variation!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of forces aren’t even doing interviews for renewals now, they told me they’ll only come if they “have some intelligence on you”. 

I only had them out as I moved to a different area. They did my shotgun renewal and then said when my firearms is due don’t need to bother coming out again. 

I suppose it means they don’t consider me a risk to anyone at least! 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Lots of forces aren’t even doing interviews for renewals now, they told me they’ll only come if they “have some intelligence on you”. 

I only had them out as I moved to a different area. They did my shotgun renewal and then said when my firearms is due don’t need to bother coming out again. 

Not really valid excuse tho. 23 years sgc holder and always had an interview . 

Every variation I have an interview too. 

Ive never had a fight since school , got points on license etc and work around schools for a living. Even my rfd has just had a visit.

i think it’s a time thing

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

+1.  i never had a visit last year on renewal.

Edited by mossy835

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

Not really valid excuse tho. 23 years sgc holder and always had an interview . 

Every variation I have an interview too. 

Ive never had a fight since school , got points on license etc and work around schools for a living. Even my rfd has just had a visit.

i think it’s a time thing

What's the point in them coming to sit and look at you?

If they have any info on you they'll come, if they don't it's not like they're going to come round and you suddenly start spouting off reasons they should take your licence away is it?

What purpose or benefit does coming and sitting in your house for 5 minutes serve? 

I had a variation  with Staff's a couple of years ago for my .357 Mag underlever, and it was sent back without as much as a question mark.

I have held a certificate since 1970 with west Mercia, and then West Midlands (border changed) and have never had ANY problems. Never had ANY criminal offences against me, no speeding fines 

Methinks Staff's are being "A" holes for the sake of it.:angry:

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What's the point in them coming to sit and look at you?

If they have any info on you they'll come, if they don't it's not like they're going to come round and you suddenly start spouting off reasons they should take your licence away is it?

What purpose or benefit does coming and sitting in your house for 5 minutes serve? 

He asked why I need a few new bits like sec 1 12g and said ok after reducing my c/f rounds. 

5-10 minutes later he left. 

Nice bloke but last year they refused sec 1 12g as I had 243 at the same time . Totally lost on it all. 

My mate had his sent in the post the same week. 

Its a PR exercise I think . 

17 minutes ago, team tractor said:

He asked why I need a few new bits like sec 1 12g and said ok after reducing my c/f rounds. 

5-10 minutes later he left. 

Nice bloke but last year they refused sec 1 12g as I had 243 at the same time . Totally lost on it all. 

My mate had his sent in the post the same week. 

Its a PR exercise I think . 

Haven't a clue what a 243 has to do with having a S1 shotgun, or why they'd grant a firearm on the condition you reduce the amount of ammo your allowed to hold...

I'd have asked them to outline their reasoning in writing and spoken with the head of department for starts. 

I must have been very lucky as both South Wales and A&S have been very good to deal with the vast majority of the time :) 

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Haven't a clue what a 243 has to do with having a S1 shotgun, or why they'd grant a firearm on the condition you reduce the amount of ammo your allowed to hold...

I'd have asked them to outline their reasoning in writing and spoken with the head of department for starts. 

I must have been very lucky as both South Wales and A&S have been very good to deal with the vast majority of the time :) 

He’s said ive had a 243 so let’s leave it at that currently.

this time he said ok but nervous on 17hormet as I’ve a hmr and lr. Nothing like I know and I told him. 

dropped my rounds down to 200 from 300 but I reload anyway so don’t care about that. He said he has to be seen doing something. 

Its pointless as I could load 1000 and chuck them in the loft and he’d never know. 

10 minutes ago, team tractor said:

this time he said ok but nervous on 17hormet as I’ve a hmr and lr. Nothing like I know and I told him. 

dropped my rounds down to 200 from 300 but I reload anyway so don’t care about that. He said he has to be seen doing something. 

Its pointless as I could load 1000 and chuck them in the loft and he’d never know. 

Has to be seen to be doing something? I'd be grilling him to know what that means...

Ask him "Why? do you have an agenda to stop people having a firearm that they have a legal reason to own?"  

Very off that ... I'd say get BASC to speak to their offices but they probably wouldn't do anything about it :/ 

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:42, Graham M said:

Sent off for a variation for a .44 cal black powder pistol and yesterday received a letter from Staff's to notify me of its arrival.

Never had that before but didn't think much of it. Then read through the letter and was astonished by its contents.

They thanked me for the "Application" and the payment, and will be processing my "Application" by doing an "In depth background check" and may send out an FEO to visit me for an interview.

For a variation!!!!!!!!!!

If you get a like for like variation that may be a little unusual but if (for example) you wanted a variation from a .22moderator to a .338 Lapua Magnum it wouldn't be!

On 15/07/2018 at 08:32, Lloyd90 said:

That sounds great, my most recent renewal was twice as thorough as my initial application ?

Certainly more thorough in Aberdeenshire than West Sussex!

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:01, team tractor said:

S1 shotgun and a .243 are completely different! start blasting crows with the 243 and see what he has to say about that.....

The devil in me is thinking he was just testing your good reason tbh. If you roll over easily then you probably don't actually need one.

Edited by Lord v

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Stealing the thread here but I'm due for renewal soon and have a .223 I never bought. I'd like to swap it for a .308 as I fancy having a go at bisley. Does it cost any thing extra when renewing and doing the variation? 

????????????????

How far do you plan on shooting, .223 is fine out to 600 yards (Target), some say more, I've shot my HMR at 600yards at Bisley (it was hard work).

:good:

4 hours ago, Dekers said:

????????????????

How far do you plan on shooting, .223 is fine out to 600 yards (Target), some say more, I've shot my HMR at 600yards at Bisley (it was hard work).

:good:

Couple of reasons really. Having a .223 limits my chances if I stumble upon a perm which hold deer. By limits I mean screws it?. From my understanding you need hot rounds to be legal for muntjac never mind the sika I see everywhere here? (Can't recall ft/lb or FPS )  also I'd like to learn at some point how to reload, and I'm such a tight wad I didn't fancy a cabinet full of rifles for different tasks. Would just like 1 calibre where I could potter about at sensible ranges, within a budget. 

Note I'm no sniper either, think the furthest shot I've ever taken was 350meters and was proper chuffed for weeks at that when I hit my mark. 

12 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Couple of reasons really. Having a .223 limits my chances if I stumble upon a perm which hold deer. By limits I mean screws it?. From my understanding you need hot rounds to be legal for muntjac never mind the sika I see everywhere here? (Can't recall ft/lb or FPS )  also I'd like to learn at some point how to reload, and I'm such a tight wad I didn't fancy a cabinet full of rifles for different tasks. Would just like 1 calibre where I could potter about at sensible ranges, within a budget. 

Note I'm no sniper either, think the furthest shot I've ever taken was 350meters and was proper chuffed for weeks at that when I hit my mark. 

I only commented on Bisley, as that is all you mentioned.     You don't need hot rounds for a .223 to be Muntjac legal, the vast majority of .223 meet the regulations.    Sika is a different situation.

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

I only commented on Bisley, as that is all you mentioned.     You don't need hot rounds for a .223 to be Muntjac legal, the vast majority of .223 meet the regulations.    Sika is a different situation.

You ain't kiddin'; they are bloody tough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...