grandson pigeon shooting

Hi Everybody,

My grandson is very keen to come pigeon shooting with me, I welcome his enthusiasm , but I have a problem as to what gun he should use, he's average weight and build for his age so 

im thinking .410 single, but most 410's will be too long in the stock, has anyone come across this problem, and how did they cure it. also does anybody have a gun that is no longer used because it has been grown out of. many thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, shropshire-jon said:

Hi Everybody,

My grandson is very keen to come pigeon shooting with me, I welcome his enthusiasm , but I have a problem as to what gun he should use, he's average weight and build for his age so 

im thinking .410 single, but most 410's will be too long in the stock, has anyone come across this problem, and how did they cure it. also does anybody have a gun that is no longer used because it has been grown out of. many thanks in advance.

hello, what age is he ? weight/build/height ? stock size should not be a problem, 410/20 bore/ single/double / side by side/ O/U or semi auto, many on here will remember our first shotgun, even a single barrel 410 should continue his enthusiasm,     

I took my son last weekend he used his own Webley and Scott 928 28 bore. I didn’t take my gun preferring to concentrate on teaching him safety in the hide and when to take the shot. It seemed to me a better option to focus entirely on him as all of his experience this far had been on clays. It was great fun although he bagged nothing had a couple of sitters but missed unfortunately however that wasn’t really the point he enjoyed learning the basic field craft and being out in the sunshine!

i would highly recommend a 28 bore he started on 14 gram carts and has stepped up to 21’s now, 28 gram cartridges are also available. The webley is a tad too long in the stock but that doesn’t seem to bother him and as he’s growing it seems pointless to hack off a inch or so only to put it back in a few months time. 

Take him and try one out, same gun as a Yildiz. 

He’s 11 by the way.