Mossberg 500 410 pump - worth it or gimmick ?

Gameking

Gentlemen

I have  a sudden hankering for one of these.?

I have only ever used 12 bore for vermin / pigeon but for some reason I keep looking at these.

Can someone with experience of this model or at least a regular .410 user give me some advice on effective range, best shells 2", 2 1/2", 3", subsonic ?

........or should I save my money and use it to buy more  12 bore ammo ?

I have a yildiz. .410 hushpower .my mate a baikal .410 hush .

Ive owned the baikal like my mate previously also .. 

As far as the effectiveness  of the cal as a pigeon /crow decoying gun ..it really is effective. Im currently shooting mine with more confidence than my 20 b hushpower. As far as range i feel 30 yds is about max. And 20 yds  ideal range for patten .they are also very quiet .more so than my 20b hushpower..

As for cartridge .ive tried quiet a few.subsonic  fullfat .etc .and the best by a country mile is the gamebore hunting .16 grm no6. .

It quiet enough but hits birds hard. 

And the price is ok too .

Ps the mossy hush .410 is a cracking gun . The only reason i dont have one is i have the 20b version and they would be too similar 

The Mossberg 500s in 410 are great they are less well accepted than the Remington wingmasters but they work fine, with .410 reloading is the way to go can be done cheap drop your own shot and for powder  SP3 works well .  i dont use a mossberg 410 i use a 20 hatsan  but shoot with a mate loads his own he does this cheap hes using TPS wads and steel shot some of the time now as he as a chap takes pigeons for hawks it works fine on steel too. . 

I have the mossberg 500 in 410

With both the hushpower and the normal unmoderated barrels 

Superb kit today i was using the unmoderated with 2 inch no 6 around barns then 3inch no 5 on crow around sheep pens ..tomorrow i will be using moderated barrel with sub sonics 3i ch no 6 near some prize race horses next to a freshly cut whead field from a hide with deeks out

The mozzy 500 in 410 is my go to gun when i cant be bothered to carry a heavy 12 bore or if i have to shoot quitely or if i dont want to use ear defenders (moderated barrel) or if i want to use smaller cartridges of 9 grain

It is very versatile with having both barrels. You dont realise how much its needed until you get one...a great tool for anyones cabinet

Edited by psycho