Favourite 20g game shell?

Interested to see what everyone’s favourite 20 bore game shell is? Used to always use express 28g 6’s. Had a few shoots at the end of last year and used Gamebore in a similar load and they did pretty well. Interested to hear what everyone else uses / rates highly?

Not too long now!

Edited by wildfowler.250

Using 24 gram fibre T1 chedites in 7s this next season , got a case last season they worked well a mate had two more cases from when he sold his 20 so i got them while i had the chance.chance. Prior to this i was using RC jk6s they were ok but prefered the chedites. 

Used to use Gamebore Pure Gold 28gram fibre 6's. As these aren't available anymore i use Black gold fibre. On our rough shoot I use 28gram 6's (5.5), on beaters days with bigger birds I up to 30gram. 

I choke at Teague halfs but feel it's a bit tight so will be opening up I think.

ATB

Matt

10 hours ago, redial said:

Black Gold are a very good cartridges. I must agree.

It's probably my age but I still prefer to call them cartridges rather than shells. (To American.)

Good luck with your choice cartridge or shell.

I thought that as well but it was quicker to type :lol:

Cheers for the replies! Looks like Gamebore seem to be most popular as usual.  I’ll probably order some more of the black gold/20 bore equivalent. 

Out of interest, do you find much benefit in going up to 30gram loads? To me that’s something I’d use out of a 12 bore and possibly starts to take the charm out of using a lighter gun? (Just asking for interest, as there’s the odd box of 30g high pheasant in the safe).

Thanks again!

I shoot  blackbgold in 20b and while they hit hard and are effective .they are also expensive and punchy ..

Ive come to realise that a pigeon in the middle of 16 grm (my .410 load ) is just as dead as one in the middle of a 32 grm load . 

So recently ive been shooting 28 grm of no6 .but would happily drop further to 24 grm  . (All the above are no 6 shot ) 

7 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Out of interest, do you find much benefit in going up to 30gram loads? To me that’s something I’d use out of a 12 bore and possibly starts to take the charm out of using a lighter gun? (Just asking for interest, as there’s the odd box of 30g high pheasant in the safe).

Thanks again!

IMO its very circumstantial and has to be in put into perspective.

28 gram of the 6 (5.5) is perfect for the walked up and flushed bird produced on my DIY shoot. 26 gram am sure would be fine too for this if I wanted or for a lighter gun.

I step up the choking and load for my beaters days as the birds are very good birds and can be real high. Most paying guns here shoot: 

12bore - shooting 32 gram 5`s and up. I have seen 36 gram 4`s in the bin at the end of the day there too and dont see many 30 gram true 6`s.

20bore - Shooting 30 gram 5/6 (4.5 /5.5) in 20 bore.

My 12 bore  is a heavy (8lb 4oz ish) clay gun so I shoot it on clays from March to the end of July & enjoy my clays, am not in a rush to carry it around the Shropshire hills and across the fields.

My 20 bore is lighter but its still 7 1/4 lb in weight so its better to carry and handles the heavier loads when I ask it to without issue. 

I don`t buy any 12 bore game loads, just solely clay loads. 20 bore wise I use it for clays from August the first to get reacquainted & I buy my game cartridges for it to suit the two different types of game shooting I do. I am though considering changing my 30 gram 6`s to 30 gram 5`s for the beaters days.

I wouldn't be in a rush to put to many 30 gram cartridges through a lighter 6.5lb silver pigeon say, I would stick to the 26/28 gram. 

For my beaters days yes I could use my heavy 12 bore & 32 gram 5`s (4.5) but that`s changing gun again when am settled with the 20 at that point, when we walk one stand one I don`t fancy lugging my clay gun up hill and down dale.

Regards

Matt