Best lube for a semi?

wildfowler.250

So.. excuse the title!

Are there any particular brands of lubricating/machine oil that people would recommend for using in the semi auto? I use legia for a good clean and I’ve another spray specifically to try and remove dirt. I’d a small volume of machine oil last year  that made a big difference to how the gun cycled but I’m out now. Is there any particular brands folk recommend or am I just better with a fine oil in order to not trap too much dirt?

cheers!

I use Fastex auto action lube on my Rem 1100 16 gauge and 870 pumper. Just a light spray keeps them running smooth for a long time.  I cannot remember where I purchased it but the price tag in £s is still there ...£3.95 so I must have got it here in the UK.   That has reminded me to strip both and give a spray before getting some stubble shooting in the near future. 

Edited by Walker570

i wash my old berrata 303 out , with petrol parrafeen mix.....dry it off and dust the moving parts with graphite powder...it has never seen a gunsmith...any form of oil on a semi particuly if you are using it in the field is bad news.........

i think you will find the british army in afganistan etc ...hot dusty places....dont slathver their rifles in oil and they are semi auto's..if you have ever picked up a Holland & Holland bolt action rifle you will be astounded at the ammount of sloppy play there is on the bolt and slide......but....the bolt head is adjustable and always fits snuggly against the base of the case..........

they maybe H&H but they are built with a lot of thought and to take serious abuse .......

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

i wash my old berrata 303 out , with petrol parrafeen mix.....dry it off and dust the moving parts with graphite powder...it has never seen a gunsmith...any form of oil on a semi particuly if you are using it in the field is bad news.........

Your cabinet must smell, like a petrol station!.

1 minute ago, neil w said:

Your cabinet must smell, like a petrol station!.

ohh excuse me...........i shall use old spice in future......:lol:..........i take it you are not a saddle sniffer then....cabinates are your speciality...:good:

I rub mine down with a lightly oiled rag using any gun oil. Just I like was taught in the army with the sa80. Works a treat. Keep it clean and a light oiling and it won't go far wrong.

Neglect it and it will jam.

Too much oil and it will collect things and jam so dont over do it.

If you unsure the pop to the gun smiths and seek advice.

Normally I'd say if you can see any more than a light film it's too much. That said the al390 I have has proven almost faultless in the last 8 year's or so and only the lightest carts after a long day will cause (maybe) 1 to jam upon ejection on occasion. Wd40 has done the job more than a few times. Currently Napier. 

I spray WD 40 or suchlike all over the sliding parts of the action on my 1100, never in the breach area or trigger assembly.
Give it a minute ,then wipe it off with kitchen towel, gets rid of all the residue, and leaves the lightest bit of oil in the nooks and crannies.

Never ever been a problem, although I reckon the design is that reliable , especially for a 50 year old gun.