Repairing line guides

PeterHenry

Today I mannaged to get my hands on what I think is an incredibly beautiful split cane coarse rod, by Forshaws of Liverpool, which, over all, is in pretty fair shape.

Except for a little corrosion on a couple of fittings, and one or two stray paint splatters, the only issue with it is that the line guide / eye at the tip of the rod is missing the center, so, my question is - is it realistic to just glue a new / spare center section into the remaining part (dont fancy soldering it due to the heat involved), or is it possible to use it as it is, and not damage it further? Or, is it a case of sending it ti simeine who knows what they are doing,  and getting it professionally done?

IMG_20180715_56886.jpg

Replacement is the best option, remove all the whipping, gently heat the broken tip ring with a match, it should pop off the rod easily, source a matching replacement tip ring, glue in position, rewhip with matching whipping thread, then finish with appropriate clear varnish/epoxy! Simple enough!

long in the butt ..double handed salmon rod ??  hand a few beauties through my hands over the years ..one was a Hardy Perfection (mint) made good money on that..another from a junk shop turned out to have been made by one of the top American rod makers ..that went to a vet in Cumbria ,thought I had overpriced it,, he damn nigh snatched my hand off .

3 hours ago, spot on said:

long in the butt ..double handed salmon rod ??  hand a few beauties through my hands over the years ..one was a Hardy Perfection (mint) made good money on that..another from a junk shop turned out to have been made by one of the top American rod makers ..that went to a vet in Cumbria ,thought I had overpriced it,, he damn nigh snatched my hand off .

The thought did cross my mind, but the rod itself dosent seem substantial enough to play a decent sized carp, let alone a salmon - which is one reason I have it down as a course rod. Another  being that it has a sliding / adjustable reel seat and all the fly rods I've seen have had fixed ones - especially from the 60's / 70's which is when I presume this rod was built.  It also has eyes / guides on it that would suit a fly line - not the tall ones you usualy have for a centerpin rod, nor ones wide enough for a fixed spool.

But that said, I'm really far from being an expert on these things, so I'm more than happy to be corrected.

57 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I hope I don't need to tell you to hang it and don't lean or lie it down or it will likely take a set.  Looks a nice old rod and worth restoring.

I can put your mind at ease - its currently hanging up in a wardrobe from a shower curtian hook in its rod bag, as far away as it can be from direct sunlight, water or heat sources

Edited by PeterHenry

Many years ago I had a few of Forshaws rods, including some fly rods, I just wish I still had them. I lived close to their premises on the outskirts of Liverpool and my Grandfather and Father used only their tackle, or tackle supplied by them. I think I still have some of their 'Hooks to nylon', in their packets.  The top ring is quite an easy one to replace as there is only one bit of whipping to do. It was a regular occurrence to damage the tip ring and they were readily obtainable back then. Forshaws used to offer a ring replacement service (excuse the expression ! ) or a full refurbish if needed.

58 minutes ago, Westley said:

Many years ago I had a few of Forshaws rods, including some fly rods, I just wish I still had them. I lived close to their premises on the outskirts of Liverpool and my Grandfather and Father used only their tackle, or tackle supplied by them. I think I still have some of their 'Hooks to nylon', in their packets.  The top ring is quite an easy one to replace as there is only one bit of whipping to do. It was a regular occurrence to damage the tip ring and they were readily obtainable back then. Forshaws used to offer a ring replacement service (excuse the expression ! ) or a full refurbish if needed.

Fascinating

From what I've read it sounds like a great sort of shop

I dont suppose as a one time customer you can shead any light on the models available? This one says Firecrest on it, but I've also seen Greencrests and Goldcrests on the internet - some sort of hierarchy of ranges perhaps? Or for diffrent names for game / coarse / sea / etc?

Edited by PeterHenry

It was some 60 years ago I'm afraid, so remembering the different models is a bit difficult. The original building is still there today, but I think it is all flats now. I think it became some type of Seaman's mission before it was flats. The rod that I inherited from my Grandfather was whole cane butt and middle joint and a split cane top. My Father's rod was the same but he broke the top section on a tree and had it replaced with fibre glass. As it was solid glass back then , it ruined the entire rod, making it very tip heavy. The complete built cane throughout rods were generally quite heavy and were often known as 'Avon' rods, built to land a barbel. Coupled with an 'Alcocks  Aerial' reel, it made quite an expensive combination. Fix that tip ring and give the rod an occasional outing and enjoy.

23 hours ago, Westley said:

It was some 60 years ago I'm afraid, so remembering the different models is a bit difficult. The original building is still there today, but I think it is all flats now. I think it became some type of Seaman's mission before it was flats. The rod that I inherited from my Grandfather was whole cane butt and middle joint and a split cane top. My Father's rod was the same but he broke the top section on a tree and had it replaced with fibre glass. As it was solid glass back then , it ruined the entire rod, making it very tip heavy. The complete built cane throughout rods were generally quite heavy and were often known as 'Avon' rods, built to land a barbel. Coupled with an 'Alcocks  Aerial' reel, it made quite an expensive combination. Fix that tip ring and give the rod an occasional outing and enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that

I've been reading about Aerial reels. I've currently looking at buying one of the Fred Crouch copies / versions, but I'm quite happy with the Allcocks badged Youngs Trudex I have for the moment

13 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Thanks for sharing that

I've been reading about Aerial reels. I've currently looking at buying one of the Fred Crouch copies / versions, but I'm quite happy with the Allcocks badged Youngs Trudex I have for the moment

Nothing wrong with a good Trudex, had a few in my time including a 5 1/2 inch beast.

4 hours ago, Penelope said:

Nothing wrong with a good Trudex, had a few in my time including a 5 1/2 inch beast.

The only thing I'm not totly keen on with mine is where the previous owner has tried to rub down the black finish to the base metal. It fishes great though, especially since it came back from a service with Gary Mills

I owned a Forshaws "Firecrest" it was a 12" salmon/ sea trout fly rod, double handed, & this looks identical, I would say they are fly rod rings,maybe tip ring is not original?if it has a keeper ring at butt end of cane, it,s fly. Nice rod.

14 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

I owned a Forshaws "Firecrest" it was a 12" salmon/ sea trout fly rod, double handed, & this looks identical, I would say they are fly rod rings,maybe tip ring is not original?if it has a keeper ring at butt end of cane, it,s fly. Nice rod.

Just had a look at close up of tip ring, silk looks a different colour?

9 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Ah, thanks for that. It you look at the photo of the bottom section, you can see the first eye is whipped on in the same colour silk at the tip.

It has a keeper ring up by the top of the handle, whipped on with red silk either side, I think you can see it in a couple of the photos. Is this the position you were talking about, or do you mean the other end of thr handle?

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

Ah, thanks for that. It you look at the photo of the bottom section, you can see the first eye is whipped on in the same colour silk at the tip.

It has a keeper ring up by the top of the handle, whipped on with red silk either side, I think you can see it in a couple of the photos. Is this the position you were talking about, or do you mean the other end of thr handle?

That,s the fly keeper ring, obviously if a shotted float rig hook  was put in there walking would quickly remove varnish !